Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Old School > POLL: best d1x and best d2x!!! Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:13 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

too many choices for the poll thing in the create topic window Wink ...

here are the rules:

-you can post as many d1x's and d2x's as you like, but you must choose one to vote for if you vote for one.

-d2x-xl does NOT count as a d1x even though it supports d1x (thats why its dTWOx-xl). this was just in case of those few...

-i am treating allegro and milkmod d1xs as the same d1x. they are almost identical.

-thats pretty much it Smile

so far, all i know of for d1x are:

d1x1.4.0 (allegro/milkmod)
d1x1.4.3 (full-blown gl)
d1x1.4.3 (comes with oglmw and plain mw)

and d2x's are:
d2x-gl (the original that i had got-came with sdl; generic)
d2x-w32 (the one with too many damned bugs Wink
d2x-xl (the one everyone seems to like)
d2x-x (i only think this is the name of it. comes with sdl and competes with xl)

any others may be put in at will. otherwise, vote! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

For 98 boxes: D1x 1.40 (allegro/mikmod), D2-3dfx
XP boxes: D1x 1.42 oglmw (duh), D2x-Rebirth (cuz it doesn't have the lame mouselook options)
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Enzo,

D2X-W32 is the predecessor of D2X-XL, so no need to nominate it here. Wink

D2X-Rebirth has mouselook as well, but it is generally not available in multiplayer.

As I don't like to restrict people, D2X-XL offers more freedom to the user here: The game host can turn mouselook on (it is off by default). If D2X-XL detects that the game host does not use D2X-XL, mouselook is automatically turned off (thus avoiding any unfair advantage).
jesusfr3ak4evr
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The only d2x I have that works completely and exactly the way I want it to work is d2x-w32. I also use d1x 1.4.3
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:24 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Did you try D2X-XL?
jesusfr3ak4evr
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Diedel wrote:
Did you try D2X-XL?
yes I did, the latest version as of 1 week ago. Couldn't even fly around correctly, though the GUI looked nice.
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Try to create a new player profile. Due to a necessary change, older ones can lead to problems. The player file format doesn't like changes. I didn't invent it. Razz
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

u know, diedel, tankie said u were a little diddle in chat a couple nights ago cuz of how ur d2x-xl has some different physics and sends bad packets.

she sounded pissed about it lol. said same thing with w32.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I have never chatted with Tankie. There was a discussion about connection problems with D2X-XL on DBB.net a while ago, and I denied them, but that was it. If someone chatted with her under the nick 'Diddle' (or something similar), it wasn't me. I do not even use that nick outside of DBB.net, and only picked it here as well because that's what most DBB.* users know me from.

She could however have been right, but only as far as UDP/IP is concerned, where I found a pretty severe bug potentially preventing proper network communications. Afaik that bug wasn't introduced very far in the past though. I have not touched IPX code though, which is used for KALI.

D2X-XL definitely does not send flawed physics data. Actually, Descent 2 does not send physics data in network games at all. It sends position data, object creation data, and syncs objects from time to time.

Therefore I find Tankie's claims rather unsubstantial currently. I don't really know how to deal with them, there's nothing in what she says that I could boil down to a useful bug report that would allow me to hunt that bug and either fix it or prove it's not there.

jesusfr3ak4evr wrote:
Diedel wrote:
Did you try D2X-XL?
Couldn't even fly around correctly, though the GUI looked nice.

What exactly does that mean?
jesusfr3ak4evr
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It means I couldn't move AT ALL. I entered a game and I couldn't move at all, and yes my config was set up correctly. I played with it for half an hour and couldn't get it to work correctly. But since I have an older version of d2x that works perfectly for me, I just use that and have no regrets.
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Diedel wrote:
I have never chatted with Tankie. There was a discussion about connection problems with D2X-XL on DBB.net a while ago, and I denied them, but that was it. If someone chatted with her under the nick 'Diddle' (or something similar), it wasn't me. I do not even use that nick outside of DBB.net, and only picked it here as well because that's what most DBB.* users know me from.

she referred to you ad Diddle or whatever. she meant it to be an insult Confused

you, again wrote:
She could however have been right, but only as far as UDP/IP is concerned, where I found a pretty severe bug potentially preventing proper network communications. Afaik that bug wasn't introduced very far in the past though. I have not touched IPX code though, which is used for KALI.

tell tankie that. she'll throw a whiny fit like a-better not say...

diedel the diehard wrote:
D2X-XL definitely does not send flawed physics data. Actually, Descent 2 does not send physics data in network games at all. It sends position data, object creation data, and syncs objects from time to time.

actually, youcontradict urself right there. those are physics data too. but she was the one that said it do not blame me for her arrogance.

dietfred wrote:
Therefore I find Tankie's claims rather unsubstantial currently. I don't really know how to deal with them, there's nothing in what she says that I could boil down to a useful bug report that would allow me to hunt that bug and either fix it or prove it's not there.

iu doubt she will listen even if u talk to here like that i seen her fits over this stuff (or rather, read them) and im not sure she would do that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Positional data is not physics data, imho. Physics data would be mass or drag, or maybe thrust and direction.

Afaik her complaints were about KALI play with D2X-XL, not about UDP/IP play, and as I said I didn't change the IPX stuff used for KALI. D2X-XL servers will send (a few) extra packets with IPX too (telling other D2X-XL participants that the server is D2X-XL too - that way D2X-XL specific stuff like mouselook is controlled: No extra data, no mouselook), but that data is simply ignored by other D2 versions, and it is only sent when a player connects to a server.

I tried to talk reasonably to tankie, but I simply cannot confirm her bug reports, so there is nothing possibly I could debug and change.

Actually some people spell my nick 'Diddl' (it is pronounced almost like my nick should be pronounced: 'Deedal'), so I don't know whether it was an insult. But I haven't been in that chat, so I don't know. Smile
jesusfr3ak4evr wrote:
It means I couldn't move AT ALL. I entered a game and I couldn't move at all, and yes my config was set up correctly. I played with it for half an hour and couldn't get it to work correctly. But since I have an older version of d2x that works perfectly for me, I just use that and have no regrets.

Oops. Mind moving all your player files to a backup folder, create a new pilot and try once more? I have fiddled with pilot file format recently, and older files can now mess D2X-XL up badly (sorry, pilot file format doesn't like extensions at all - I didn't devise it).
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:49 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

well its tankie who is saying that so blame her, not me.

and when i used an old profile, the oridinal d2 called me a lamer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Did I blame you for what Tankie said with a single word I have posted here? I think not.

The 'lamer' comment is because of the messed up profile (as seen by D2X-XL).
STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

is there really a reason for all teh bickering Deidel? Enzo?

Here's an idea. Both of you drink a big glass of STFU and do something else.

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

We are just talking, Stresshead.
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:53 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

99 bottles of stfu on the wall, 99 bottles of stfu...
u take 1 dwn, pass pass it around, *chokes*

im allergic to stfu stresstest u should know that by now. if not ur stupider than me.
now thats gotta be bad.

and maybe i should have worded the blame her, not me statement differently cuz i implied to diedel that i actually believe he was blaming me...

but still, hope he dont shoot the messengers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:42 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Enzo,

I have no clue what makes you think I am blaming you for what Tankie said.

I was simply talking about it with you, and explaining things a little bit.

Now let it be good and don't be touchy. Wink
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Don't worry about Tankie. She's got perma-PMS.
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:01 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ouch!

Tsk, tsk.

LOL.
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

uhhh...

k diedel, you already made it clear that you werent blaming me or anything and even before that i know you werent or anything.

nice job md.