Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Software Defined Radio (whole spectrum in a $10 USB dongle) Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

This seems pretty cool, kinda new to me though. Since some ppl here seem to be into radio i figured i'd make a post, coz i'm interested to hear what ppl think about them.

These are super cheap (less than $10 incl shipping) USB dongles, which can see a lot of the RF spectrum at once. All of the tuning into individual signals is done in software, or you just record the whole spectrum mwhahahaha.
24MHZ to roughly 1850MHz with no gaps.
AFAIK that's everything from garage door openers, FM radio broadcasts, TV signals, ham-radio, airplane transmissions, GPS satelites, Cellphones (and towers)?, RFID tags, etcetc
It might not be quite high enough to pick up 802.11 wifi though, a shame.

Since they're so cheap, i'm wondering if you can use multiple of them to trilaterate the source of signals, using time of flight and maybe doppler shift. Depending on sensitivity i'm thinking you could do a lot of things with these.
- Just starting off you could create a real-time map of all local transmitters in your area, even sporatic ones.
- Lightning tracker.
- You could use known stationary transmitters (eg: FM radio & phone towers) as landmarks to locate yourself (like ground based GPS).
- You could continually scan for sporatically transmitting listening-bugs, instantly knowing their location from just a single transmission.
- You could track moving transmitters like mobile phones in cars.
- You could instantly locate a lot of RF noisy equipment, like anything containing relays. Maybe also car motor electronics? Basically a lot of things become unwitting tracking beacons.

So, what do you think radio men? Do-able? Done already?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:30 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Apparently if you couple it with this $50 upconverter you can tune into any frequency beyond it's original 24MHZ to 1850MHz range.
Awesome