Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Keyboards Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Whoa, controller came in the mail today. That was quick, took only 7 days from Sweden (unlike the last two orders that took a month each..) Smile

Besides a bug in sorting out the column bits the software worked "out-of-the-box" (not bad for writing it dry w/o debugging ;P)

Features in a nutshell:

- USB 2.0 full speed, 1ms USB poll rate
- USB suspend, wakeup and boot protocol support
- 14 key roll-over (+ 7 modifiers)
- matrix scan rate of 2kHz, individual 2ms-stable key debounce
- two function layers
- consumer control (eg. multimedia keys) and system control (eg. Power down) function keys
- WIN key lock, local NUM lock
- up to eight macros
- LED brightness control and demo mode
- 1-255min programmable timer
- Teensy compatible bootloader

Mr. Green

[anchor]

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:55 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Got some placeholder caps while waiting for the "Granite" set. I like them, very readable at night Smile

BTW, anyone a ST:TNG fan ? May want to keep an eye on the The Galaxy Class Keyset ! Wink (Discussion here.)

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
[anchor]

The reason I got the RK-9000 was that it's virtually identical to the CMS QFXT boards (*) I have two of and wanted replacement controllers for. I have chatted w/ the guy making those quite a bit over the last couple months, and he did make a controller for the QFXT ! (announcement here) Cool stuff Wink

(*) BTW -- that QFXT w/ MX green switches is a steal for $120. So is the one w/ MX brown switches for $80. If you are looking to upgrade to a mechanical keyboard, go for it ! Brown switches are excellent for gaming and typing (light springs, light tactile feedback, quiet), greens are great for typing and good for gaming (heavier springs, medium tactile feedback, clicky.) More QFXT blabla from CMS here.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
[..] while waiting for the "Granite" set.

Got the set today, hot off the sublimation machine Smile

[Anchor]

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Got the set today, hot off the sublimation machine Smile

[..]

.. and apparently w/ some problems:

Signature Plastics wrote:
[Grendel] -

We posted the following on Geek Hack:

We have discovered that one of the molds used to produce the single space keys for the Granite set was misaligned resulting in the mount being slightly off center. This is contributing to the varying gaps between keys when mounted on a keyboard, and also explains the registration issues we were having during the sublimation printing. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this has caused.

It looks like your sets were affected. We are working on correcting this issue now and hope to have some sets to ship out by the end of next week. I will add your order to the list!.

Kudos to SP tho, very good customer care IMHO.

[anchor] Fixed set #1:

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Forgot -- I published the firmware for the replacement controllers here.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Built up the left hand part of an ErgoDox to replace my G13 that is getting a bit long in the tooth. Plays very well Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Now w/ optimized caps Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quick heads up -- RK-9000 with MX Blue for $60 at Newegg !

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Another heads up -- the Granite set round 2 is running on Massdrop (5 days left.) Prices are reasonable, for a full size board you will need the Common Kit (29.99), a Modifier Kit (26.99), and a Numberpad Kit (14.99) --> 71.97 + 9.99 shipping.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Built another ErgoPad for a buddy of mine I play L4D2 w/, he loves it:

More pictures of its guts at drive.google.com under /folderview?id=0ByFalc_WhYosQXB5cndPajRxODA&usp=sharing .

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:12 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Quick heads up -- RK-9000 with MX Blue for $60 at Newegg !

And again. If you have/get one, I'd suggest a left or right angle USB cable for it Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Another heads-up:

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000 with Cherry MX Blue Switch
+ Rosewill Jet RGM-300 Gaming Mouse
+ Rosewill RHTS-11004 3.5mm Connector Circumaural Headphones
= $39.97 + $1.99 s&h !!

I believe that the technical term for this is "dirt-cheap" ! Wink

Edit: and gone Sad

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:02 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

These just went on sale again and this time they have free shipping on them. I have one that I pack into work every day in my backpack since the OEM Dell KBs are shit, and I love it. Especially the price for a fully Cherry KB

$48.50

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140102&p_id=9433&seq=1&format=2

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Great find ! Smile

The only caveat I can see is the non-standard bottom row, looks like 1.5-1-1.5-6-1.5-1-1-1.5 (unit is the regular keycap size, ie. space bar is 6 positions wide, the whole field is 15u), most cap sets bottom row is 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25 -- not a problem if you aren't interested in different caps tho. Plus, the price is right ! Wink Suggesting to install these O-rings for an improved typing experience.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Took a while and the num-pad came out wrong :/

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Shift is not "Reverse Polarity", junk, throw it out. Razz

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hehehe.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quick heads-up -- Rosewill Helios RK-9200BU Dual LED Illuminated Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry MX Blue Switch, $64 shipped w/ promo code RWMAILBZ, ends 11/18 (sorry for the short notice :/) That's a steal, it should be on par w/ Filco quality ! Have one coming today for a teardown Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:

Always wanted to have a PCB for this, getting there:

Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Got it ! Cool stuff Smile

View previous topic :: View next topic