Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > Corsair H100i Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
[..] Last week I came across a great deal for a H100i and decided to give it a try:

So far so good, temps are down to a max. 55dC w/o any tweaking Smile [..]

Ran into some funky problems w/ the software, thought I'll post it here for better exposure.

In general that cooler works very nicely. The control software is a bit iffy tho -- normal users d/l the official release from the product website. That release has many annoyances, dropping configurations, stop monitoring, crashes etc. Worst is a memory leak -- when I was looking at my machine after 4 days uptime the Corsair hardware handler had locked 1.6GB of memory ! After digging around on the internet I finally found the Corsair forums (didn't see an obvious link on their website) where one can find a (3 months old !) beta release of said software.

While I'm at it -- another problem w/ the cooler, hardware this time. You will need 4 0.5-1mm plastic washers to put betw. the coolers back mounting bracket and the mainboard. Else the block may not make good contact w/ the CPU (seems to be mainboard dependent, esp. ASUS boards seem to be thinner than what this thing was designed for.)

Thought that posting this may spare someone the anguish. :/

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thought you were getting away from liquid-cooling...

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

From DIY large loops, yes -- this is just a fancy CPU cooler in my eyes Wink (Self-contained & maintenance free, 5 years warrantee, pretty much install & forget... Well, hopefully.)

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Reading about it. Interesting, didn't realize it utilized a USB connection to handle fan speed.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Which, with the state of the software, is also its achilles heel. Smile Just checked -- the beta seems still to be eating memory (although way more slowly, will be able to tell more in a couple days.) Like so very often -- good hardware, crappy software :/

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Good to know, I am debating about getting a closed loop cooler for my main rig and the H100i was on the list of possibles.

It is either that, or a H110. Reading a couple anandtech reviews for closed loop coolers generally painted the software/usb connection of the H100i as being a positive over models lacking it. Personally I didn't like the idea of a USB connection or having to load software, straight PWM controlled fans off my motherboards abundant headers seemed like a much simpler option...

The only problem with the H110 is that I'd need to drill a couple spots in my case to be able to mount it, vs the H100i that my case can handle without the need for any modifications.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

After a few days of 24/7 operation it looks like the leaks are fixed, memory footprint fluctuates around 300k. Workable. So if you decide for the H100i make sure you get that beta version.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'll stick with my new in 2002 Koolance systems I have here. Yes, they are 11 years old and both still running flawlessly. Best money I never spent since they were given to me at the board room table just outside of Seoul S. Korea when I was there Smile Smile Smile

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Is it possible to run the H100i without the USB connection or software? Basically leave it as a 240mm "dumb cooler" and plug the fans straight into the CPU fan and CPU fan alt headers on the motherboard?

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yes, it will run w/o installing the software. Should even run w/o the USB connection, altho I have not tried it.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So an update on this, the H100i went on sale last week so I grabbed one. This topic was quite useful, I have an ASUS motherboard and I didn't have any washers on hand so I carved up an old plastic DVD case and manufactured some using a 5/32" drill bit. Once installed with the home made washers everything has a nice tight feeling fit. I didn't bother with the software or the units built in fan control and instead opted for connecting the fans directly to my motherboard CPU fan and OPT CPU fan PWM headers. I also skipped the USB connection with no apparent ill effects.

It was a bit of a tight squeeze in my Corsair Carbide 300R case, the only change I had to make was moving the DVD burner down to the lowest 5.25" bay instead of the highest one. Temperatures are better than they were on the old air cooler, although not significantly so at idle. The main improvement is at full load using a prime95 torture test on all 8 threads (low 60s vs mid 70s). The LED light on the top of the pump/block assembly is surprisingly bright, but shouldn't be an issue in a closed case with no windows. It is whisper quiet at idle, and barely audible at maximum load (and even that is a unobtrusive low pitch whir), so it has a satisfactory performance there.

The only thing it can't improve is the terrible thermal paste job Intel did under the heat spreader on my particular sample of the i7-3770K which causes two cores to always run around 3-5C higher than the other two regardless of the cooler in use. The only way I can fix that is to completely void the warranty by prying the heat spreader off and applying a proper thermal paste covering myself (something I am very unlikely to do).

AceCombat
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

how can you tell if the I7 you have is a poor thermal job? i have the same i7 3770K but would like to know

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

AceCombat wrote:
how can you tell if the I7 you have is a poor thermal job? i have the same i7 3770K but would like to know

Krom wrote:
...which causes two cores to always run around 3-5C higher than the other two...

View previous topic :: View next topic