Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > DBB Distributed Computing > Unified F@H Client Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I remember the 400s but I haven't folded in years. We are #399 at the time of this post BTW Wink

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Time to shuffle computers around -- I need the Q6600 based machine for something else, so I'm going to move things down the line. The Q9560 will take the place of the Q6600 board and the red case will get a shiny new Z77 based board w/ an i5-3570k. Should use less wattage and produce a few more points Smile I got everything I need, just have to find the time to do it. Stay tuned for updates.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Grendel wrote:
[Q6600@3GHz + GTX660] Power usage: 95W idle, 261W full load (GPU+CPU), 198W GPU only.

More numbers, overall system wattage:

- idle: 80W
- CPU folding: 135W
- CPU+660 folding: 240W

So between idle and folding load:

Q9560 - 55W
Q6600 - 63W

EVGA 660 - 105W
MSI N660 - 103W

GPU numbers are from WUs that cause 90% power load (the smaller ones cause 75% power load, about -20W.) The EVGA GPU has a slightly higher factory overclock. The CPUs are both running @ 3GHz, only the FSB is changed on the Q6600 (default voltage.) Power management is left at default for everything.

New numbers are in:

System: Z77 mainboard, i5-3570K, 8GB, GTX 660, air cooling. Overall wattage:

- idle: 33W
- CPU folding: 72W
- CPU+660 folding: 172W

The 660 GPUs are pretty persistent, but the mainboards + CPUs make some big differences in folding loads:

975X + Q6600 -- 95W + 63W
X38 + Q9560 -- 80W + 55W
Z77 + i5-3570K -- 33W + 39W

So betw. the Q6600 that I was running for a few years and the i5 system I'm saving at least 2.5kWh per day and get more done Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:02 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not sure if it was the BIOS update or a setting I changed, but the idle number changed from 42W to 33W. Corrected above post to reflect that.

Edit: Here's a pic of that system --

And here things got frantic for a second or two since the system was live:

Shocked

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

well its been 3 months I have been active in the team again... Just you in the way now Gren Wink

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil, did you stop?

AceCombat
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

kitteh alert.... kitteh alert!!! lockdown the PC!!

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

STRESSTEST wrote:
Foil, did you stop?

Yeah, I needed to turn off my folding client for now. Hopefully it's just temporary. I'll keep you guys posted.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ok man, hope whatever it is gets better for you man

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
System: Z77 mainboard, i5-3570K, 8GB, GTX 660, air cooling.

Hm. I realized that my i5 is folding at 3.6MHz, that's above the base line (3.4) but below the max. boost (3.8.) When poking around in the BIOS I found a setting that eluded me before -- "Enhanced Turbo", disabled. Not listed in the manual either, so some digging around came up with:

"If you want to quickly boost your CPU performance on an MSI mainboard, you should instead use the Enhanced Turbo setting in its BIOS. This feature increases the CPU multiplier to its maximum value supported by Intel Turbo Boost technology irrespective of load."

Flipped it on and it's now folding at 3.8MHz. Overall the wattage seems to have gone up by ~18W (154W to 172W w/ the current WUs) and the CPU is getting a couple degrees hotter. Probably leaving it on for a few days, see how it goes.

I'm wondering tho -- Bill, did you do any speed tweaking on your systems ?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Gren, I have a question about GPU folding. I know that nvidia greatly reduced the FP64 compute performance of Kepler parts relative to Fermi parts (1/24 instead of 1/12 or even 1/8), but does folding even need FP64 that much? I ask because I recently picked up a Kepler (GTX 680) part for my main PC, and I'm wondering if my old 460 / 1GB card would be worth the effort of selling to someone who does folding...

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The current Nvidia client only uses FP32 AFAIK. I'm not sure how things change once the next client gets rolled out, it'll be based on OpenCL instead of CUDA. My guess would be that the clients will adapt themselves to whatever resources are available on the GPU so hanging on to the 460 from this perspective is probably not necessary. You could however just plug it into one of your spare comps and start folding w/ it... Wink

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Detlef

I notice that I am not running at the 3.9 speedboost I should be at. CPU-Z shows 3.7 max. I'll look for that setting. Both of my I7 desktops are using the Asrock Z77 extreme 6 mobos. I'll look around for that setting once I reboot the main later today.

Ones a 3770 and the other is a 3770k

STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Interesting

So I went into the BIOS and first did the internet update via the uefi tool in there and there was an update. Let it do its thing and reboot. Went back in and on this board there is a setting to enable the target max setting. Auto, all core and per core. It was set to auto which I believe is tied to the all core setting. When I selected all core it was set below what it should be.. I then tried per core and this was the weird part. Core one and two were set to 39 while three was set to 38 and four was set to 37 multipliers (where I was maxing out at in CPU-Z).

I changed them all to 39, tested and now I am seeing the full turbo speed on CPU-Z while folding.

Time to do the other machine and then to see if that setting is available in the laptop..

Its interesting to me that 3 and 4 were set with retarded settings in there.. anyway, thanks for bringing this up..

on another note did you notice those spikes we both got the other day? I had a 140k day! man..

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Apparently Intel's "Turbo Boost" tech has a bit of Voodoo involved:

"Any of the following can set the upper limit of Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 on a given workload:
•Number of active cores
•Estimated current consumption
•Estimated power consumption
•Processor temperature"

Looks like the MSI setting waves a black cat at it to force the maximum boost on it even if it's under full load... Oh well, I'm probably going to regret that I mentioned it. Wink

Yea, I saw those spikes -- got the right combination of big WUs there Smile

SpongeBob

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i have a 3770K on a SABERTOOTH Z77. paired to a Hyper212 HS and using AS5, i can hit a easy 4.5GHz for Turbo, but my temps get alittle too high for my tastes, so i keep it @ 4GHz for the Turbo and i never go above 62C at full load.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

regret is a sign of hindsight is 20/20 Wink

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

At least one form of vision I've good numbers for.. Wink

Currently all 4 WUs on my two comps being worked on are big ones, I feel another spike coming in a day or two Smile

Ace, the auto OC settings will also mess w/ the voltages -- in order to ensure a stable automatic overclock these will be on the high end (the MSI setting just forces the chip to max. boost.) You will get better results if you manually tweak things.

SpongeBob

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yeah i have heard that about the Asus boards. im not that much of a HC clocker, so i just let it run @ 4

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Some more info about Turbo Boost and MCE...

SpongeBob

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

nice Cool

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:01 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

GPU Core 17 update. Seems it's released to beta only so far tho Sad

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:53 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Eyeballing an i7-3930... Mr. Green

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

cheater

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hehehe. Looking at this for a main machine -- working w/ giant raw pictures can be quite slow even on the 1155 i7. The quad channel memory controller of the 2011 i7's suddenly becomes really alluring... Wink

On a lighter note, I just replaced another money sink, my old server:

C2D E6850, G210, 2x1GB

With this:

MinitITX, i3-3225, 2x4GB

Probably the cutest computer I've built so far Smile Best part is that it's super quiet and uses up about 25W serving things !

SpongeBob

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:23 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

2x HDMI ?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:37 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Probably the more amusing bit is the PS/2 ports. Haven't seen any of those in a new computer in years, usually everything is USB in a modern build.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

And 2x LAN... The GA-Z77N-WIFI was the cheapest Z77 MiniITX board at the time...

Strangely enough two other machines I built recently (based on the MSI Z77MA-G45) have PS/2 ports too.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I stopped using MSI once this happened to me

Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil wrote:
STRESSTEST wrote:
Foil, did you stop?

Yeah, I needed to turn off my folding client for now. Hopefully it's just temporary. I'll keep you guys posted.

Back in. Cool

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Welcome back ! Very Happy

SpongeBob

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

what caught fire, a fuse?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nothing caught on fire luckily. A transistor smoldered and then exploded. game over for that Mobo

AceCombat
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

bad term, thats what i meant

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Muahahaha Mr. Green

View previous topic :: View next topic