Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > DBB Distributed Computing > Unified F@H Client Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:27 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

was dat?

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

ASUS Rampage IV Gene w/ a 3930K, new workstation/folder Smile Needs a bit more setup work, just finished setting up the OS. (Sold the 3570K machine)

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

off topic.

Who was it that made the flash / shockwave cartoons on this board. He did one for that toolbag in Jacksonville FL once. He worked for a company in CA I think, making web sites called something like blowfish?

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

JBOMB ?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

damn Im retarded... course JOBOMB!

Hows that 6 core doing?

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Finished installing software, updating BIOS, basic setup etc. Since everything seems to work fine I started it working on a CPU WU (will add the GPU once it passes "burn in") So far so good (after a solid hour Smile) The 3930/x79 runs about 10dC hotter than the 3570/z77 and uses quite a bit more power -- at idle the system draws about 72W (vs 33W), at 100% CPU load (3.8GHz -- the board is cheating w/ the turbo boost...) 225W (vs 72W) I will post the final power numbers after I add the GPU client. Most likely it'll be ~325W -- I don't think I'll do that much folding w/ it. Probably going to designate the 3770 as the main folder.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:33 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

damn thats a lot o juice!

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, the system appears to pull > twice the power the 3570 did. Yes, it's faster but I doubt it's twice as fast (except for memory transfer rates Smile) My current plan is to swap the 3930 & 3770 systems, not using the 3930 for folding (after initial tests and getting two more HDDs.) I am looking forward to run LightRoom on that sucker Cool BTW, named it "Jotnar". If that doesn't ring a bell, watch "Troll Hunter" Mr. Green (great movie !)

It did finish the 1st CPU WU just fine, currently running a GPU WU -- 172W as expected.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Running the system on WUs during nights (open window...) -- as expected 325W w/ 80% power draw on the GPU. Ooof. Getting the disks tomorrow and a new case for the 3770K on Wed (needs more space for 24/7 operation..) so I'm hopefully back to my regular folding by the weekend Smile

Overall I wouldn't recommend a LGA2011 based system unless you have some very specific needs, mainly for a multimedia workstation (or a folder if you don't mind the cost...) For gaming and casual computer use a 3770K will perform as good or even better (! *) for way less money.

* Rooted in the inability of most software to efficiently use more than about 4 cores/threads (a lot games even use only one or two.) The 3770k is faster under these conditions, even on the memory thoughput (optimized on the 2011 for multiprocessing, not for raw bandwidth. Originates in the server CPU line Sandy Bridge-E was derived from.)

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:49 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Back up & folding on two comps Smile The "new" one:

Going to change it into a Lian-Li case tho, don't like the airflow in this case.

For the curious, the new workstation:

(Details for both in the WS Thread.)

And for the record, power usage table:

Code:

CPU        Chipset Idle CPU  CPU+GPU

Q6600@3GHz 975X    95W  158W 261W
Q9560      X38     80W  135W 240W
i5-3570K   Z77     33W   72W 172W
i7-3770K   Z77     46W  104W 204W
i7-3930K   X79     72W  225W 324W

GPU in all case was a GTX 660

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Alright, done w/ these comps. Smile Here's the final result:

Much better. Currently using 174W under full load, disabled MCE for the summer.

Time to focus on another hobby. Altho, I'm tempted to build a Haswell based system using this case... Mr. Green

Edit: Forgot to mention -- make sure your Windows Experience Index is up to date. When swapping the computers I also swapped the graphics cards, invalidating the WEI w/o realizing it. Windows will eventually just run the damn thing, and it did while the machine was folding. That did not go over well, computer rebooted in the middle of the night w/o apparent reason, and again the next day. Took me a while to figure out what the problem was...

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:53 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Altho, I'm tempted to build a Haswell based system using this case... Mr. Green

Since I need a machine I can lug around w/ a bit more power than a laptop I put this puppy together:

Heart is a ASRock Z87E-ITX with a i7-4770S (detailed specs in WS thread.) Total PITA to put together, you have to be very picky about the components so everything actually will fit together (definitely NOT something for a first time build...) Fun though, especially when firing it up the 1st time and finding out that the HDD LED connector needs to be turned around... Rolling Eyes

I will continue to poke at it over the weekend, see what it will do w/o overheating... So far I have one data point:

Code:

i7-4770S   Z87     30W

GPUs in above systems are GTX 660

i3-3225    Z77     25W

That is pretty good for a system in this class, only the i3-3225 w/o GF/X card beats that (@25W) Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh, need get a better intake fan for that case if I want to load the machine to 100%. It's crunching a GPU WU right now, a bit on the warm side Smile 121W (a "small" one, 75% power usage.) I had it munching on a SMP WU briefly (will continue it after the GPU WU is done...), 87W, MCE off. Projected 100% load would be about 185W.

Code:

i7-4770S   Z87     30W   87W

GPUs in above systems are GTX 660

i3-3225    Z77     25W

On a different note, looks like core 17 project 8900 moved to advanced. My machine at home caught one of these, oh my, nice plus on points ! Mr. Green

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

FAH Core 17 official announcement. Note that it's not all peachy -- while the core runs it'll eat up a whole CPU (or thread on a HT CPU.) This will cause massive starving of the CPU client (times to completion go up 2x or more for the CPU.) To mitigate this set the no. of CPU threads to 3 (for a non HT CPU) or 6 (for a HT CPU) while core 17 is active. This is the main reason while I've set only one machine to "advanced", the machine at home -- easier to keep an eye on.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pausing for the heat wave. I'll be back at it soon

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Rgr, I was starting to worry there for a moment Smile Hope it'll be over soon or at least cool off more in the evenings Sad

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:41 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, I had to drop back to standard clockspeed and periodically stop folding for a few hours, myself. Considering moving my folding machine downstairs.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

JFYI, major overhaul of the F@H pages (in case you want to point some laymen to it.) Not sure if I like their advertising to "donate our unused computer power", technically that's very wrong. People don't donate idle CPU time; Nowadays you get what you pay for from a computer (power in, calculations out.)

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Welcome back ! I was missing the competition Mr. Green

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:13 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Im in Portland today. Actually it is Rooster rock state park in Gresham that we have a function to go to (large picnic). The pair of i7's are home alone with the cats. We rolled in last night around 7pm and headed home Sunday morning.

STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:14 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

... oh yea. And based on those 140k numbers I am seeing from you lately I am no competition

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nice, sounds like a fun trip ! I got drafted to a day of shopping in Salem today (leaving in 20min). :/

Your setup is a match -- between the three machines I fold w/, right now I'm running SMP:9 (6 threads on one, 3 on the other comp vs the 2x SMP:8 you should be running) plus 3x GPU (one of those is temporary) on straight 660s. The pointage stems from the GPUs set to client-type advanced, allowing them to pull core 17 WUs (if available) -- it appears that the 8900 WUs (they only ones in advanced so far) dried up yesterday...

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hm, must have been temporary -- 8900 WUs are back. You should try them, a 660Ti or 670 will pull quite a bit more points ! Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So is there something that has to be done to the client to make it get those big fat point proteins?

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yes -- in FAHControl, open the Configure dialog, select the Slots tab, select the gpu line, click Edit. In the Configure folding slot dialog that opened, click Add and enter: Name -- "client-type", Value -- "advanced" (no quotes.) Click Ok, Ok. Select the cpu line and click Edit. Change the CPUs from -1 to 6 (on an i7, 3 on an i5.) Click Ok, then Save. That should do it -- once the current WU is finished it will load a 8900 WU if one is available.

See also.

Some notes:

The "advanced" mode is meant for late beta stage testing, once a WU/client passes "beta" stage it is moved to "advanced" for broader testing before it will be released to everyone. Note that because of that, "advanced" WUs have a higher probability to fail. A client running in this mode should be checked at least once a day. I have had no problems whatsoever with core 17 and project 8900 so far tho. Also "advanced" mode will not guarantee receiving advanced WUs, if none are available regular WUs will be assigned.

The reason for the huge amount of points coming out of project 8900 is the core -- core 17 is the first GPU core to implement QRB (quick return bonus.) The base points are really the same as for WUs using older cores.

Core 17 is very sensitive to overclocking. If the first WU is failing and your card is OCed, take the OC off and see if that fixes it, then post here for further suggestions.

I would suggest to use Nvidia driver 314.22, the 32X.XX series of drivers have major issues in pretty much all areas.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

More core 17 projects are moved to advanced, 7810/11. Very Happy

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Alright, done w/ these comps. Smile Here's the final result:

Much better. Currently using 174W under full load, disabled MCE for the summer.

With that setup the CPU temp hovers around 63dC, quite safe but nevertheless high (esp. keeping in mind that the load is ~90% and no overclock whatsoever.) Last week I came across a great deal for a H100i and decided to give it a try:

So far so good, temps are down to a max. 55dC w/o any tweaking Smile Going to let it run overnight and probably turn MCE back on tomorrow or so.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

5:40 on the west coast and the assignment servers are still down... I got home and walked into the office and noticed how cool it was in here.... Then I noticed the PCs were idle...

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:28 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yep, same here :/ Nothing is ever going according to plan in the IT world... Wink

Edit: two minutes after posting this at least one machine picked up a WU ! Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yea same here. The GPUs picked up WUs and then I went to bed. This morning the CPUs had then too so no idea when they came down..

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Looks like more people are folding core 17 WUs -- I'm getting a fair amount of core 15 WUs on all machines :/ Turns out that they cause a massive coil-whine in one of my comps -- argh ! Have to figure out if it's the PSU or the GPU and glue that sucker down.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I might not be folding for a couple days. Someone working at my house broke the 200mm fan on top of my rig. Mad

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil wrote:
I might not be folding for a couple days. Someone working at my house broke the 200mm fan on top of my rig. Mad

THOSE SONS OF BITCHES! I think I would murder someone....

hey Grendel... I have no where the patience as you in looking for the advanced part of this game...

Specifically the driver scene. Whats the deal? Can we use a different driver than 314.22 yet? This POS is killing me with all the random crashed when IO grab the mouse. If I leave it alone it will fold 24/7 perfectly but every time I touch it, and the displays light up, video crash. Then recovery... but I lose the WU.

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not yet, 314.22 is still the last stable driver Sad The whole 32X family is fucked up, people report random crashes in games, on the desktop, while browsing, and the infamous crash after 36hrs uptime. Supposedly the next WHQL driver will be based on a different branch, hopefully this will improve things.

Wait, are you saying 314.22 is causing the trouble ? If so, try 314.07. I'm running 314.22 on at least 8 machines w/o any problems whatsoever (3 of them folding 24/7 on 660 cards w/ occasional browsing), there may be something else wrong w/ your system. :/ Are you running Afterburner ? If not, try installing the latest AB beta and check if you can get the VRM temps (depends on the card if monitors are implemented, may not be the case..), maybe there's a temperature problem. Also, if you are OCing the card, try running it stock.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

STRESSTEST wrote:
Foil wrote:

THOSE SONS OF BITCHES! I think I would murder someone....

Hehe, nah. They were willing to pay for it (got the replacement cheap at Newegg), and I just now got it, so I'm back in. Smile

View previous topic :: View next topic