Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > DBB Distributed Computing > Unified F@H Client Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just gotten around to install the unified client F@H 7.2. Piece of cake, no fiddling around w/ different clients & stuff, just install & forget Smile

If you are running any V6 clients, restart them with the parameter -pause and let them finish whatever they are working on before installing the V7 client.

You can get a passkey here if you haven't got one already (faq.) Team number is 39070.

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cool, thanks! Cool

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Whoa ! Those are some impressive daily points ! Very Happy

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks, I just got some new (er, new-to-me from eBay) components for my birthday, and rebuilt my water-cooling system, which is folding when I'm not using it. I'll post my specs in the other thread.

Now that I'm running both the SMP and GPU clients at once again, my points have certainly jumped. Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wow, interesting how much more points a 480 pulls over a 280 ! I think I'm going to upgrade my folding rig... Smile

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, I also have it overclocked to some extent...

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, saw that -- was digging around a bit here.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So does the client use both the CPU and GPU? Is there a way to verify what is doing what and how to change which is used?

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Oh, yeah. The desktop client is top-notch; you can see what's running, ETAs, etc. all at a glance. Changes and tweaks are made pretty simple, as well.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Also asks you during installation what clients you would like to run. SMP+GPU is preselected on a multicore system w/ a F@H capable GPU.

Going to swap out the 280 -- its voltage regulators are squealing very high pitched and loud under ffull load, pretty annoying. A more modern card should also be more power efficient, my UPS is close to overload... Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:47 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

its running...

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:58 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil, gren. Few questions

1. Are you both using just one machine for this?
2. what specifically is the hardware you are both using (multiples if more than one PC)
3. How accurate is the approx points per day in the bottom left corner vs actual?
4. Didn't I start this team back in the day? LOL. age is setting in. Anyway, I'll see about using some more PCs later. This is just one machine doing the work for me right now.

Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:05 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just one machine for me, specs are here.

I think the PPD estimate tends to be slightly low for me, but there's so much variance, it's difficult to tell.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

1./2. Two. One as described in the hardware thread (main folder, 24/7) and an old P4 that pulls about 200ppd w/ an uniprocessor client...
3. Not very. On my main folder it only includes the SMP client.
4. Yes, you did. Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks guys. Foil the PC I replaced with this one I put in the tech forum several months ago is very similar to yours. Same chip even. I'll probably turn it on this weekend and let it go too... we'll see.

Im turning numbers now. The bottom left is estimating 43k a day, so I was just curious

STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

SLOPE! lol

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Saving 42W over the 280 now Smile Plus I now get a better estimate of the PPD (must have been running old clients on the 280.)

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

New client (7.3.2) is available. Will probably muck w/ it tomorrow.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

we gained 2 spots last night. one was to overcome and pass apple Wink

This machine has hit its stride now

be a while till I catch you two though Wink but last night I managed to get on both of your threat lists.lol

STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:39 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Question.
Is there a EXE version that will just run? I was thinking about enlisting some work PCs but they are pretty locked down so I cant install anything... 32bit OS I7's with nvidia Quadro workstation cards

STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

the client is reading 63k in the bottom left corner now....

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Eat that Apple !! Very Happy

The GPU3 6.41 no-nonsense and SMP2 6.34 clients available here should work.

Yep, looks like I needed the Fermi core to have any PPD estimates on the GPU client -- system is estimated at 32k PPD now Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

just passed ice.. I'll have to look at those clients more... seem they need to be installed too

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

If they do I'm pretty sure you can copy the installation folders to another machine w/o breaking them.

Man, if you pull 65k PPD you will have cought up on me in about 10 months ! Cool

Edit: well, that's if I stop folding -- 20 months as-is Wink

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

more like several years Wink

Ok, have the laptop (2nd gen I7 2ghz) running with geforce 525
the file server with an apu on board... that one is worthless but I'll let it go, and the old Q6600 with the nvidia 260 went live moments ago...

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just wait until the stats page levels out our 24h averages... Wink

Anyone here have a C2Q6600 CPU they don't need anymore ? I got an old 775 board laying around I could put into use... Smile

Edit: My UPS has a power meter, did some tests for the curious.

System:

ASUS P5W DH Del (975X), C2D Q6600 @3GHz, 2x1GB DDR2 PC6400
MSI N660-2GD5/OC (GTX 660)
Samsung SSD 830 64GB
Sony DVR
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V
Antec 900
WXP32

Power usage: 95W idle, 261W full load (GPU+CPU), 198W GPU only.

So betw. idle and full the CPU will use 63W, the GPU 103W.

W/ 32kPPD, 261W boils down to ~5 PPW/h Smile (32kPPD / (0.261kW/h * 24h))

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My home office seems to be warmer lately.... I even have the window cracked .. still warmer...

Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Holy crap, nice points, Stress...

Yeah, my office upstairs gets nice and warm, too. May have to cut back on the overclocking come summertime, depending on how warm it gets up there. Razz

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

heh thanks.. Im in the same boat as you. May have to turn off that q6600. Fucker is the reason for the significant change in temp in here... Maybe I'll just build a new box in that case with an I7. I still have to return this 16 gigs of ram.. thats a good starting point...

Looks like I went up another spot on the team. Wink

Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Gren, what did you replace that 280 with? (Just curious.)

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

See above ? Razz

GTX 660 (MSI N660-2GD5/OC.) Wanted something that can run the Fermi core, the G80 core got a bit long in the tooth Smile Should pull about the same PPD your 480 does (at lower wattage tho.)

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ah, I'd missed that, my bad.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

80k day yesterday. been at this almost a week and have more than twice the points I had a week ago... dang

Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh, and just a few years ago, the team was celebrating a combined 2500-point day. Razz

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Movin on up! To the east side... /Jeffersons

Just got Pushrod last update

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic