Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > Plus ça change . . . the more things change . . . Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dissent
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

How This Guy Lied His Way Into MSNBC, ABC News, The New York Times and More
Quote:
Tools like this streamline the hectic process that is blogging — were the situation different, I could see easily myself swindled by someone like Holiday. With each story he was quoted in, there would have been an analog way to get the source – to find an insomniac, call a doctor who specializes in insomnia and ask if any of his or her patients would be willing to go on record. For vinyl records, call a store and ask the owner to put you in touch with his best customer. But oftentimes, it can be hard to justify taking the long way around when news moves at the speed of the internet.

For Roy Furchgott, the reporter from the New York Times, this kind of lie can be hard to catch — Holiday sounded just like all the other record collectors he had talked to, and it was hard to imagine why someone would lie about something so mundane.

“He gave a fairly credible account in line with what most vinyl record collectors and owners say,” he says. “So I took his word on it, as frequently happens, and you’re telling me that he suckered me.”

“I’ve been in the business a fairly long time, and I’ve seen this happen many times even prior to blogs. I don’t think this is isolated or terribly, terribly unusual.”

This is a problem. Is it "news" (i.e. information) that's moving at the "speed of the internet", or just data? And maybe not even data, but just make-believe fantasy. Should we be expecting more of "our media"? Or are we getting just what we should be expecting.

Are we training our children to be more discerning of "information" they glean from a source? Should we be? If so, how should it be done?

[max # question marks reached for post - /end post]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Guess there's more going on.

Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:03 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just one of the by-products of our news-as-entertainment system rather than a news-to-inform system.
Beowulf
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah news for ratings, aka the 24-hour news cycle, killed real reporting. You have to wait for things to become newsworthy for them to be news...otherwise you have what we have today...a bunch of worthless vapid idiots talking about Chik-fil-a and that bitch from the twilight movie all damn day.

It's a bunch of garbage, and the news, just like our government and entire political system, is already paid for and controlled by the People That Matter. We are fed bullshit as a distraction. WHAT did Romney say in his latest Anti-Obama AD?!?!? OH NO Find out after this commercial, brought to you by GeneralElectricBoeingPfizerMerckGoldmanNewsCorp, makers of fuckitol.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Beowulf wrote:
Yeah news for ratings, aka the 24-hour news cycle, killed real reporting. . . .

I don't know if I totally buy this one Beo. The news has always been about being a business. And the so-called objectivity of the news in the past is pretty much a warm fuzzy myth. Go back into old newspapers and read about the competing party's coverage of the opposition. Some pretty wild stuff to be found.

I guess I'm really more concerned about the gullibility of the voting public than I am about the motives of the press. And that gets back in some respects to our education system, and the highly uneven product produced from that enterprise.

Historical illiteracy is certainly a problem, as it seemed to be running in the background for me as I was reading this essay - Classical Liberalism vs. Modern Liberalism

Quote:
Wolfe is right to be concerned about “the highly organized and concentrated forms taken by capitalism in the contemporary world.” That system does indeed undermine autonomy and equality. Where he goes wrong is in equating the “capitalist” economy with the free market. Thus he is guilty of what Kevin Carson calls “vulgar liberalism” and Roderick Long calls “left-conflationism”: attributing the evils of corporatism to its antithesis, the freed market. (It’s the mirror image of the view that defends business conduct in the corporate state on the grounds that the free market wouldn’t permit such conduct if it did not efficiently serve consumers.) . . .

. . . “Man in any complex society,” F. A. Hayek wrote in “Individualism: True and False,” “can have no choice but between adjusting himself to what to him must seem the blind forces of the social process and obeying the orders of a superior. So long as he knows only the hard discipline of the market, he may well think the direction by some other intelligent human brain preferable; but, when he tries it, he soon discovers that the former still leaves him at least some choice, while the latter leaves him none, and that it is better to have a choice between unpleasant alternatives than being coerced into one.”

There's a lot of everyone shouting past each other, without much of any conversation going on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:05 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

heh

Still waiting for handouts? Razz
Beowulf
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Naturally there's been bias as long as there's been humans. But I'm more talking about the content rather than the spin. The idiots will be spun and those who care will try and find the truth. The problem is the majority of what's being reported upon is completely and utterly irrelevant drivel.