Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Prosumer camera advice Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:56 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I take a lot of concert pictures, also a lot of nature shots. I'm using a nikon coolpix right now and it sucks. I'm looking for something in the $3-400 range that'll take good pics in low light situations, have a nice (non detachable, since you can't bring dslrs into music festivals, concerts) lens, etc. Any advice?
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Man, I tell you, it is a low consumer grade model, but i have been able to take some pretty decent shots with the Powershots.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm a sucker for big sensors, so G1 X... A bit more spendy tho. A G12 isn't that bad, would be closer to the budget limit...

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
I'm a sucker for big sensors, so G1 X... A bit more spendy tho. A G12 isn't that bad, would be closer to the budget limit...

Pros & cons?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

G12 is a very good all-round P&S. The G1 X is more klunky (size, some handling, video) but magnitudes better in PQ, esp. in low-light. I would suggest to dig around in the reviews a bit Wink

The S100 BTW would be a good alternative to the G12 if you need something more carryable.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

PQ?

So, if I want to take good low light photos (ie concerts) I should pony up the extra dough for the G1x?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Picture Quality (probably should have said IQ.) The G1 X will get better way pictures in low light, but the G12/S100 can hold their own if you just need mementos. I really can't recommend one over another because of the other factors you may value -- size (G1 X is the biggest of the three, makes it the most visible to people that don't like you taking pics), weight, ability to take video (not the strongest point of the G1 X), zoom range, ease of operation. Check out the "Conclusion" pages of the reviews and take a look at higher ISO test images (the Olympus E-P3 would be a contender in that comparison... )

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah... I'm not so certain size is a real issue for me. I already have a couple PAS cameras around that you can stuff in a back pocket and they take pretty good pics. What I'm really looking for is a camera that'll take near pro quality photos, but without a detachable lens, since bodies with detachable lenses aren't allowed in most venues, festivals. But beyond that, I want something that'll take really nice nature/landscape/city shots, and the Nikon I have just totally fails in low light, etc... I already have a decent video cam, so video is not really a concern.

Thanks for your input, I'll look closer at the reviews, and also check out the Olympus.

Off this particular topic, but curious: What is your opinion of the Nikon One series?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:
Yeah... I'm not so certain size is a real issue for me. I already have a couple PAS cameras around that you can stuff in a back pocket and they take pretty good pics. What I'm really looking for is a camera that'll take near pro quality photos, but without a detachable lens, since bodies with detachable lenses aren't allowed in most venues, festivals. But beyond that, I want something that'll take really nice nature/landscape/city shots, and the Nikon I have just totally fails in low light, etc... I already have a decent video cam, so video is not really a concern.

Sounds to me the G1 X would fit that nicely.

Pun wrote:
Thanks for your input, I'll look closer at the reviews, and also check out the Olympus.

Note that the E-P3 has a lens mount, ie. detachable lens !

Pun wrote:
Off this particular topic, but curious: What is your opinion of the Nikon One series?

I'm utterly devoid of an opinion -- since I bought into canon I only superfically look at Nikons and then mostly at DSLRs, sorry. One bit from the G1 X review that I noted tho:

"The G1 X's sensor is 20% smaller than in most Canon DSLRs, but that still makes it 16% larger than Four Thirds, more than twice the size of the sensor in Nikon's 1 cameras and over six times the size of the sensors in previous Canon G-series compacts."

Rule #1 when it comes to low light IQ is that a bigger sensor is better (in reallity it's the physicaly bigger pixels that collect more photons.) Sort of like cars -- nothing beats displacement for power. Wink

That said, the 1's sensor is substancially bigger than regular P&S sensors, that alone would make the 1 a potentian choice.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yet the One is a detachable lens as well. I was just curious about it, really.
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

After much deliberation, I was settled down on The S100, but then I saw this camera. What do you think of that one, Detlef?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Should be fine, but make sure you read the review. Plusses are the good & fast lens, very good IQ in 6MP mode. OTOH there are the poor battery life, bad video mode, and esp. the non-standard sensor layout that causes 3rd party software to struggle w/ the raw images. If you decide on it, make sure you get one w/ an updated sensor !

Bottom line would be -- if you get it, use only the 6MP JPG mode (SN in low light, DN for normal stuff). If you want higher resolution (and less noise) or work w/ raw images, consider the G1X.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I ended up with the S100 for various reasons. The other cameras I was considering, even though they're not technically a "professional" camera, could easily be mistaken for one and I'd hate to have to shlep my camera back to the car, or worse if I'm using public transportation.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dang, Canon just announced the EOS M -- could pass as a P&S Smile

I like the S100, let us know how it works for you.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nice camera, but I think I'll be served better by something more stealth after thinking about it. Although, down the road, I'd love to get an ILC of some sort. Maybe a full-fledged DSLR. I watched/read a lot of reviews on the S100. I think it'll be a good introduction to manual controls, and also served my immediate needs quite nicely. Thanks for your help, Detlef.
View previous topic :: View next topic