Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > Prediction Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:42 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

IMO, Obama hasn't been a "bad President" but I also feel he's been no more than adequate... and while I may disagree with some of his policies and legislation, I don't think he has "broken" the country, and if anything, things have improved somewhat....but if you veer outside the liberal media, in many places he's almost literally portrayed as the antichrist. It's amazing, and rather disgusting.

Once you start fact checking, and doing due diligence, you find that a great majority of EVERYTHING negative said against him is smoke and mirrors, to a greater or lesser degree. Mostly greater. This is good propaganda, because if you make 10 negative accusations against someone, in the end all people will remember is that 10 bad things were said - even if none are true. In this case, thousands of allegations are being made, and people can pick and choose amongst them to suit their preconceptions. Often there is a small amount of validity to accusations, for we all know that the best lies are liberally seasoned with truth.

Personally, I think Romney's religion-fueled human rights agenda is frightening, for women in particular. His business background may counterbalance that. IMO, we're left with two "so-so" candidates again... That said... here is my prediction:

If Romney is elected, all of the racism-fueled, back-channel hate will disappear. In two years, we will have a new breed of back-channel hate against Romney, but the volume will be far less than half of what is directed at Obama - and much more of it will be substantive, rather than the ignorant and the manipulative making major issues out of ordinary, business as usual events.

I wonder what the actual proportions are if you were to look at the sheer volume of misleading, fear mongering emails against, say GW Bush, vs those against Obama?

Spidey
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think it’s more of a personality thing, I mean look at Reagan, he was liked by a lot of people, but the visceral hatred was palpable…There are still people who won’t let it go, and find every opportunity to blame the man for everything that is wrong with this country, I think this is the case with Obama.

As far as Obama being a good or bad president…My opinion is that he is a horrible president, just on missed opportunity alone.

Example: Healthcare…

He had the chance to actually put things right, but failed in the leadership department big-time, then ended up scapegoating the un-insured as the reason for all of the problems…which I take personally.

And has anyone ever seen a picture of him at his desk, my image of the man is that he is on a perpetual re-election campaign, at least I had the impression of Bush as a hard worker.

Him and a lectern…that’s all I can see…in my mind's eye.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It all depends on how much influence and power you think a sitting president has. I remember in the mid 70's, everybody and his brother was a democrat in the south, but somewhere in the 80's, democrats started becoming republicans and republicans became more democrat. I watched it flip-flop at least 2 times in my life. I think that the best you can hope for is a moderate whatever. I do know for sure that Obama has ran a GDP up from 35% to 80%. That's significant, when you take into account things we have discussed lately and that most of that debt was purchased by China. Heh, I guess I wouldn't be the best person to ask. I do fear an overtly religious person becoming president. I believe in the God of the Bible, but you have to be very open-minded in a free society. I don't think alot of people can do that. No matter who gets elected, I don't see any drastic reversal of the direction we are headed. In fact, I think it's even being pushed that way.
dissent
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:12 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://minx.cc/?post=328881

Willard 2012. No, I'm not really excited about it. But I'd rather that than another four years of Dear Leader and His Amazing Team of Busybodies Show.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Smoke and mirrors eh?

1) Race baiter yes

2) Promotes Muslim Brotherhood yes

3) Promotes economy choking EPA rules yes

4) Promotes class warfare while getting rich himself yes

5) Unemployment still above 8%, more if those who stopped looking are counted yes

6) Spends more time campaigning and vacationing than working yes

7) Wasted first 2 years concentrating on health care instead of economy yes

Cool Would rather Iran got the bomb instead of working with Israel to prevent it yes

So where has Obama "improved" the country?
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, you're attempting to be cute, and quite frankly your comments are not much more than polite versions of the hate-frothing, crazy-eyed foolishness I deal with on a daily basis, and nearly as disconcerting as the eyes-wide-shut "I will vote for him because he's black" attitude I see daily from "the other side".

Sorry for having common sense and not getting all worked up when Adolph Obama von Hitler McBinLaden perpetrates an action that would be business as usual for any other president (and quite typically is a direct continuation of the exact policies of the past 40 years of sitting presidents) and it is instantly vilified by the increasingly strident anti-Obama crazy lobby - despite the fact that it is, in fact, business as usual and nothing unusual or anything to be concerned about..

The misrepresentation is just increasingly disingenuous and offputting. Anyone with common sense can carry out the due diligence to rebut 95% of the "negative" reports about Obama - except for that whole "confirmation bias" thing. There ARE things he's doing "wrong", just as there are things he should be doing better. The smoke and mirrors draw attention away from that too - which I find just as disingenuous...

News Report #1: Obama enjoys a Pepsi.
News Report #2: Obama appeals to Pepsi fans.
Faux news: Obama declares war on Coke.
Me: Where are the actual issues and why aren't they being discussed?

Woodchip, from what I can see, 6 of the 8 things that you listed are strictly opinion and can't be substantiated. Worse, a lot of them are cheap shots. I happen to agree to a greater or lesser degree with some of what you had to say, particularly that there is at very least a perception problem with his work ethic and focus.

Furthermore your mistaken assumption that I'm a fan is insulting... and also fairly typical once again. Whether or not I'm a fan (and I'm not) I took a carefully neutral tone. The fact is that when I see a lot of hue and cry about nothing, I start looking for people who stand to benefit when other (stupider) people figure "where there's smoke, there's fire". I also don't necessarily care for ANY of the candidates, and the "choices" we have been offered are riduculous. Santorum never had a chance, and the fact that he didn't know it almost immediately was a glaring indication of his unfitness as a candidate. Gingrich? He might have been a halfway decent President but he never really had a chance either.

Woodchip
Ace

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip, care to point out where I said you were a fan? Would you like for me to go thru each my examples ? Lets start with Race baiting. In 2 cases, one where a black professor was stopped by white police officers from trying to get into his home and the second the Treyvon Martin shooting. In the first case Obama chimed in:

"What does that incident say to you? And what does it say about race relations in America?" Obama replied, "Now, I've – I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played in that. But I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. And number three, what I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately. That's just a fact"

A clear statement of race preference which is typical of black race baiters when whites do something wrong to blacks.

In the 2nd case Obama gushed how if he had a son he hoped he would be like Martin. Again taking sides with the black victim before he (Obama) had a clear set of facts about what happened. Last I checked I don't recall white presidents taking sides with white victims where blacks were involved. Now tell me why you don't think Obama is a race baiter. If you have no idea then I suggest you don't label my replies as "Cheap Shots"
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:56 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, you're right, race isn't relevant to his presidency at all. My bad. It's crazy of him to say things like "we're going to get to the bottom of what happened." Next he's gonna declare war on Coke!!!!! As for where you "said I was a fan", c'mon, it was implicit in your reply.

Sarcasm aside, I'm not here apologize for the guy. I just have little tolerance for twisted facts or deficient thinking, and if you're going to base your arguments on corrupted foundations, I'm going to tear them down.

Race IS relevant to his Presidency - and you, hell, everybody, knows it. I think his comments in regards to the Cambridge case were about as factual, moderate and neutral as they could be, nor do I think he was out of line in any way with his comments about the Trayvon Martin case. Worse, you're attributing sentiments that were nowhere stated. Based on your comments, I think your issue is that he said anything at all - and that's racist in itself. In a perfect world, maybe. In the meantime, better that we acknowledge the inequities - the better to fix them.

De jure is NOT de facto. Maybe you don't live in the same world I do. Where >I< live, my hispanic and black employees ask white employees (including myself) to drive the company vehicles to avoid getting pulled over for DWB (Driving while brown), any time we go north of the Palm Beach County line.

Next example?

(And don't get me started on Zimmerman. He's the idiot that is ruining it for all concealed carry permit holders. While he may have had a valid case for a "stand your ground" defense, he CREATED the situation in the first place through his own officious nature, negligence, and ignoring the 911 dispatchers. Unfortunately, the stand your ground law doesn't cover context, so I think he's going to get off with a slap on the wrist when he deserves a manslaughter conviction.)

Woodchip
Ace

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

"Yeah, you're right, race isn't relevant to his presidency at all. My bad. It's crazy of him to say things like "we're going to get to the bottom of what happened."
To refine a bit what you said, race is relevant to his presidency. POTUS has no place interjecting his comments into racial events and I don't ever recall a white president doing so. I'd say you'd have a point if Obama made equal comments about black on white crime. Have you heard any? I haven't.

So you think in the Cambridge incident that calling the white police officers "stupid" was "factual, moderate and neutral? Even Obama said he made a mistake.

As for Zimmerman I suggest we wait until all the evidence is in before you convict in a figurative sense.

On to the 2nd point. While you yourself can google for the info I came across this from the American Thinker:

Snip
"Dr. Essam Abdallah, an Egyptian liberal intellectual, in an article published last October in the leading liberal pan-Arab journal Elaph, refers to certain reports coming out of Washington:

These reports reveal the depth of the below-the-surface coordination between the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR), Hamas, Hezbollah, the Iranian regime and the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, Syria, Tunisia, Libya and Jordan. This bloc of regimes and organizations is now becoming the greatest Islamist radical lobby ever to penetrate and infiltrate the White House, Congress, the State Department and the main decision making centers of the US government. All of this is happening at a time when the US government is going through its most strategically dangerous period in modern times because of its need to confront the Iranian Mullahs regime, which is expanding in the Middle East, as well as penetrating the United States, via powerful and influential allies.

Abdallah alleged that "the popular revolts in the Arab world -- and the Obama Administration's position towards them -- were determined by political battles between various pressure groups in Washington."

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/02/why_is_obama_in_bed_with_the_muslim_brotherhood.html

Or a 2nd source:

snip
"WASHINGTON, April 5 (KUNA) -- The White House defended the decision to release USD 1.5 billion in foreign aid to Egypt, on Thursday, following meetings between U.S. officials and lawmakers and representatives of the Muslim Brotherhood in Washington."

http://www.kuna.net.kw/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2232075&language=en

Would you care to argue this point?
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quoting Americanthinker in this case is like quoting Al Sharpton on race relations. As for the foreign aid to Egypt, rather than listening to pundits, I'd suggest some due diligence. For shits and giggles, look up the amounts sent during George W's terms. (Hint: foreign aid to Egypt has gone DOWN during Obama's administration)

And you wonder why I don't have any respect for Obama bashing. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree, because I don't respect your source material, and I reject your conclusions and quite frankly I'm too tired to argue it. Everything, and I do mean everything, is taken out of context.

On the surface, it looks like more of the same to me: Oh look what Obama did. Much of it is exactly the same as Bush 1 & 2 did. Same as Clinton. Same as Saint Ronald, but we're not going to point that out. Instead, we'll take it all out of context and make it look like he's setting up a new, African-American Moslem Nazi party.

As for Zimmerman, it's pretty clear that his ill-consiidered actions led to a confrontation and to a death. Whether the shooting was "good" or not is irrelevant - though I happen to think it was a righteous shoot. Catch my drift?

Woodchip
Ace

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The difference between Obama and prior presidents supporting Egypt was Mubarack. Egyptian leadership was a ally. Now we have a president who turned his back on a person who we at least had a working relationship with and instead is supporting a terrorist group who only wishes us ill. As for sources where would you have me look? MSNCC, Media Matters, CNN? I don't think you'll find much info that is derogatory to Obama on those sites.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm going to ignore the whole "should we have supported Mubarak" train of thought. Fair is fair, though, so I will also ignore minor points like the fact that the revolution was a popular revolution reflecting the will of the people of Egypt. People who wanted silly things like, oh, free elections and freedom of speech.

The primary reason we were giving money to Egypt amounts to something between an entitlement, extortion payments and/or baksheesh. 1.3 billion of it anyhow. The rest (which has been reduced under Obama) goes to other things. At a guess, and I'm not a foreign policy maker or anything, the reason we continue this aid is in an effort to keep them friendly to us. Access to the Suez canal comes into that as well....and they historically spent a lot of that money on US-made munitions and other products as well. Did you read up on all that or were you relying on the words of some of those oh-so-reliable pundits.

Mountains out of molehills. Taking everything (EVERYTHING!) out of context. Irrelevancy and really just complete and utter bullshit. And you wonder why I call it smoke and mirrors. Worse, you missed the (horribly offensive) pun, you humorless conserva-bot.

Woodchip
Ace

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:33 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sorry I missed your obtuse pun, I guess I will have to have you show me it.

So at least while Mubarak was in control he kept the extremists under control. With the Muslim Brother hood gaining ascendancy we will now run the risk of of our own money being funneled into attacks against us. Want to bet that doesn't happen? Now before you get all worthy and pie eyed I direct you to another Obama Admin. project that clearly defines ineptness. Fast and Furious. Again, instead of money, firearms were allowed to be purchased by Mexican drug cartels in some grandiose scheme to track where they went. The only tracking showed these same Obama firearms were involved in the death of a boarder agent. So if you think I have any faith in how this adim will handle terrorism....I don't. The overweening avoidance to admit such things as the Fort hood shooting as a terrorist act exemplifies politics first.

Oh and back to the race baiting. You do remember the Black Panthers and the intimidation scandal? Under Bush the justice dept. was actively investigating the incident. Guess what happened when Holder got in charge. So I don't see anything but pandering to black from this administration. If you got info (beyond wishful thinking) that is contrary, please show us.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Woodchip, you really need to broaden your horizons. Start with Al Jazeera.

Your allegations regarding how US money sent to Egypt may be spent is plausible. The Muslim Brotherhood's creed is certainly frightening on many levels. There is hope: read this (fictional) treatment of a world with Islam in ascendancy: http://www.baenebooks.com/p-748-caliphate.aspx It's available for free in many electronic editions. I think you'll like Kratman. I do. At VERY least read his afterword.

I think you mistake my refusal to submit to distortions, spin and outright fabrications for disagreement. Far from it. I'm not familiar with the firearms debacle except peripherally, but I'm becoming convinced that there is what amounts to a conspiracy to limit our rights to bear arms - and your account certainly seems to fit in with this agenda. The only problem I have is that when faced with a choice between stupidity and conspiracy, the better bet (by far) is stupidity.

As for the black panther thing, more mountains out of molehills - the conserv-a-sphere has continually tried to spin it for political capital. It was ugly and stupid...and minor. Even influential Republicans have said it only got the coverage it did because the pictures could be run over and over. Sensationalist coverage by Faux news notwithstanding, I'm going to call this one "not race baiting" although a case could be made for certain aspects having been swept under the rug - if you it suited your agenda and your confirmation bias.

And if you missed the "obscure" pun after it was pointed out, that's on you sonny.

Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Woodchip wrote:
Smoke and mirrors eh?

1) Race baiter yes

2) Promotes Muslim Brotherhood yes

3) Promotes economy choking EPA rules yes

4) Promotes class warfare while getting rich himself yes

5) Unemployment still above 8%, more if those who stopped looking are counted yes

6) Spends more time campaigning and vacationing than working yes

7) Wasted first 2 years concentrating on health care instead of economy yes

Cool Would rather Iran got the bomb instead of working with Israel to prevent it yes

So where has Obama "improved" the country?

This smells like every President....
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

"Anyone with the ability to get themselves elected president should on no account be allowed to do the job." Douglas Adams

I vote for Brewster...None of the Above.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quote:
Far from it. I'm not familiar with the firearms debacle except peripherally, but I'm becoming convinced that there is what amounts to a conspiracy to limit our rights to bear arms

Yeah they found a way around outright banning firearms, by making it prohibitive to own one unless you are rich and can afford the yearly payments. Which is scary as hell, because I see rich folks putting chainguns on helicopters and one even had 2 pistols mounted under his front bumper which he could fire from the drivers seat. (Idiot by the way, I would have went for the minigun). You know 20 years ago I was saying they didn't really abolish slavery, they just made everyone a slave.
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo wrote:
"Anyone with the ability to get themselves elected president should on no account be allowed to do the job." Douglas Adams
more in that vein:

"one of the few rules the Culture adheres to with any exactitude at all is that a person's access to power should be in inverse proportion to their desire for it." Iain Banks

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

oh wow, Roid, you are reading Iain Banks?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

GLEEEEE.... a fellow fan?
yep, am reading Iain Banks Smile
Just the Culture stuff, coz transhumanism ftw

(got through Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, Use of Weapons, The State of the Art, Excession. Just starting Inversions...)

Excession spoilers:
In Excession i was fully expecting a twist at the end where Genar-Hofoen ended up as a FEMALE Affront Twisted Evil oh well

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:39 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yes, love him!

read all the culture books, and a few of his others. the culture is the one utopia I would love to live in: "money is a sign of poverty" is a brilliant idea.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:30 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

"The Wasp Factory" is an interesting read.

Inane!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Anarchistic transhumanist space communism is best communism.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i just scrolled down and didn't read shit.
edit: omfg i just did that 2day too!
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think Fiend needs a CAT scan.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

more like a breathalyzer attached to his keyboard. Wink

Gammaray
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So nobody watched obamas speech about commonwealth healthcare today? wow. Give the fat fucks too lazy to get thin and all the welfare moms and drug addicts with no sense of being a free cell phone. Then tax the rest of us for it? Oh but that's ok, cuz now they will tax the income deprived for not having health insurance. Just wow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think we should solve the homeless problem next by forcing them to buy houses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well said spidey but not far from the truth. If he gets a re-election it will be devastating. When govt can approve a "readable as tax" law there's no stopping them.

Constitutional rights take a back seat to these kinds of things, and nobody pays attention. It is a cause OF effect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It is my opinion that if the government is in the business of forcing people to buy things, then it should offer those things to the public at cost.

Then again that would probably be too close to a single payer system for all the right wing nut jobs who like to run around screaming "Socialism!!" at the top of their lungs.

Also we really should start calling it health coverage, not insurance. Insurance is something you get in order to be prepared in the event of the unexpected. No one in their right mind can expect to go through their whole lives healthy as an ox.
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I like pie.
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Me too!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU0ZYBH-vfA&feature=related
Fiend
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

still. didn't read shit. i agree w/ bunyip. same branch
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:08 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You mewling mortals have all those "wings" yet you still can't fly. Razz
Spidey
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I predict…

If it starts to look like Romney has a chance to win tomorrow, the media will take one or more Romney leaning states and call it/them early for Obama.

Thus creating the “Florida Syndrome” and getting a good head start on sabotaging Romney’s administration.

And though I completely understand the first time was probably an honest mistake, there was a great deal to be learned by that event.

And believe me…this is the honest truth…I hope I’m wrong.