Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Some new glass (April/May 2012) Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'll be adding pix as I take them, I have a big order I'm doing, here's the first one Smile

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Glass marble, 1.5" diameter. "Vortex" style, in person it looks about 3x deeper than the actual marble is due to lensing effects.

Click for larger images:

Close-up of the backing, so you can see the sparkle. In sunlight it really blings.

STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ever master the shield orb?

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

For such a simple concept, sadly I have yet to master it. I have some new ideas but the quick answer is "no, not yet" though I can make a boring blue orb with white zig-zag stripes if that turns you on.

Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What about a swirly "Descent3"-ish orb, without the lightning-y bolts?

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Blue orb: Easy.
Blue orb with some color variation but minus white lightning bolty lines: Easyish - though I suspect "success" would be extremely subjective.

Not so easy. Consistency is probably the hardest part, but the physical properties of the glass are constantly fighting you too. I play with this fairly frequently and it irritates me to no end that the final product is always pretty far off of the mark. I've tried about a dozen things to little avail, though I have a new idea I plan to try.

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

more stuff (including some I already posted) went out today in the mail:

^click the above again once on image host for even larger size.

close-up on one of the cooler pendants - shows a bit better detail than the above (if you can ignore the fingerprint):

I tried to make some orbles too, I'll get pix and post them soon.

roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

these are gettin' pretty wild!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:15 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

2 views, same orb:

pardon the crappy cellphone pix.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Those look good!
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Oh, hell yes. That's exactly what I was asking for!

How much do you want for that one?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Anyway you can make one just like the one you have pictured but add a clear small stem with an eye in it for the same string on it like you did for my glass skull you sent me?

If so, Im in for one. It can go right next to my skull

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here's more pics:

These things are difficult to photograph accurately. I used my small Canon P&S camera because I'd need to take the DSLR outside to get good pix and it's fucking hot out there. I took two pix, one with flash, one without - the truth is somewhere between the two pictures. The glass is transparent cobalt, the ones on the left are darker than the one on the right. Oh, and excuse the roofing cement on my tape. Fckn roofers can't keep anything clean. Wink

Without Flash-

With Flash-

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ok now on to business...

I'll be doing a rather large run of marbles for various stuff in the next month or so. I can make these pretty much to order after that time.

I have some questions for potential owners:

What size would you prefer? I think 1"-1.5" is probably ideal for marbles. Easily carried in your pocket etc. Larger would be better for desk-top ornaments, up to 2" - but that will cost you because four times more glass is required to make one 2" marble than two 1" marbles - and even more heat (the cube square law comes into play - and if you understand why that's a problem you're pretty smart - give yourself a cookie) In your case, Bill, that 1" marble is about the size of the top half of that skull you got from me... so a 1.5" would probably be good to hang alongside.

Before I commit to making these, would you like to see how they look with the "electricity" raised a little bit rather than melted flush with the surface?

Speaking of design alternatives, I have several other design ideas in mind. Ones you might like better... they're more technical, so I'm working up to them... but they're coming...I have a few ideas, here's one: Check this out. on the center piece, the upper half is where I was heading with d3-themed marbles one day real soon now...By the way, those are bracelets... which are pipes. Aymie is very talented. =)

Anyhow, let me know what you guys think Smile

And Stress, can I get a product placement shot of your current item - and maybe one of both later?

Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm looking for pieces I can place at work and home, rather than something wearable, so I'd be up for at least two 1.5"-2" orbs.

Regarding the orb design, I personally prefer the 'bolts' flush with the surface, and I'm digging the darker look. I imagine it would look amazing in a sun-lit spot, no?

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'll make a few in the 1.5" range for your consideration then. Surprisingly enough, non-descent people have expressed interest in these. LOL!

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Took a glass casting class this past weekend, will finish it up this coming Saturday, plus a few days for them to fire all of our pieces. We worked on mold-making, a form of investment casting, though we used clay as our mold pattern. I forgot to take a picture of my positive, but here is the negative mold:

Yeah... it's a skull.

Needless to say the possibilities are endless here Wink

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

backsplash tiles!
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That piece will take in excess of 5# of glass, at around $10.00 per lb for clear - color costs arms and legs... Plus mold making supplies, kiln time etc it gets expensive. I plan to ask what the minimum thickness you can successfully make is next class.

This is an artist we see enough that we've gotten pretty friendly, thinking of doing something along these lines, but with my own own spin on it..Easily converted to backsplash tiles, I think you'd agree.

Day of the Dead

Check out her website, she has some cool stuff - but for some reason she doesn't have a gallery page of past work - only what she currently has for sale.

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ok. The glass casting class is over. I will have some free time to melt more glass.

The mold is filled with colored and clear glass, then placed in the kiln for firing

After firing, first pic is still in the mold, viewed from the "back". The second pic is the piece broken out of the mold (the mold comes off pretty easy in your hand) - still needs some touch-up cleaning but basically that's the finished piece.

Finally the finished piece. Pretty cool, except I thought the orange part was going to be transparent. Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just for shits and giggles I'll post these, though not (strictly) glass art, I did the glaze painting - and ceramic glaze IS a form of glass... The pottery was supplied by the studio we worked at. This was a mother's day project with the mom-in-law, but we decided that we're going back and making a set of hand-painted coffee cups for the house, here is the first one I did:

Mug # 1, side A

Mug # 1, Side B

The vertical squiggly white lines are just reflections of the flourescent lighting in the shop when I went back to pick this bad boy up after firing....

Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Where's my Invulnerability?
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
Where's my Invulnerability?

X2
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Is there an e.t.a. on the orbs?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil wrote:
Is there an e.t.a. on the orbs?

I was wondering the same thing..

roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:29 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yes i paid you nothing, give me everything

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sorry guys, if I didn't mention it, I've been pretty busy...I have been working on making pieces for a previous commitment. They should be finished this week and in the mail, after that I'll be able to work on these.

roid I don't get it, did you want a glass burrito or something?

roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

nah i'm just sassin' ppl, coz they seem to be pressuring the artist. and i'm all like... no! no pressure for the artist!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

and I was being intentionally obtuse to try and rustle up some business Wink

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Then answer the question putz Smile, I'll take an orb shield and invulnerability.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ah, didn't realize the other stuff was a previous commitment.

Take as much time as you need, B, I can wait. Cool

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Get me a pic of what an invuln looks like I'll have to prototype it, as quite frankly I haven't seen many invulns in my d3 days Razz

and for those who lack reading comprehension(flip) I'll be able to get started on these in a week or so =)

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'll have to fire up the game sometime today. Never been much of a singleplayer guy so if anyone knows where the first invuln appears in D1 and D2. I'll get a screenshot. The D1 has a purple center that pulsates, but I'm thinking the D2 one has some kind of ring around it and would the coolest one, kinda Saturn like if I remember right.
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:58 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
a purple center that pulsates

yeah no worries. Easy to do with inanimate glass.
(lol no)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic