Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > Help- Joystick Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hi there, what's up?
I'm new here, so I'll say some words about me:
I'm 16 (yes it's very young considering the age of the average descenter) from Israel (no politics please, not here), I've played descent 3 in 3 'historical' episodes- first one wuth a complete pirate version, as a 5-6 years old boy who is afraid to to finish the first level, second version with another pirate yet incomplete version (There where no place who sold this game here), completed the game as a 10-11 years old boy, without all the secret levels etc., and the third episode: 3 month ago-present- Completely finished the game, with secret levels and also mercenary, downloaded levels and finally found out how to get into a multiplayer games (vortex). Played descent 1 from the age of 3. that enough Smile.
Since the first time I've played descent, I was using a keyboard. that the point- you see, I'm doing not bad that way (even pretty well, but my ping is mostly awful either),but I want to play more accurate, and in more enjoyable way (may fingers are DESTROYED after more then a hour of intensive anarchy). so I thought to myself, 'You doing bad with the mouse, but what about a JOYSTICK?'.
That why I came. I got few questions to ask the 'pros', and the people who got some experiance:
A. Does a stick will help me being more acurate, or will just harder my life?
B. If it can make me accurate, which stick should I use? It most be cheap with a USB connection. I was recommended to buy Logitech extreme 3D pro, but I heard that he's a problem maker with the Z exis. Any ways, I can buy it from a good named store at the price of 150 NIS (44.2347 USD or 30.6868 EUR)- this is a great offer. Should I go for it?
C. If I'll buy one, there are some tutorials about how to configurate a joy. There are some different methods to use a stick at descent- Which is the best? or the most accurate?

Thank's!
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hi Norcimo,

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a good stick, and works well for Descent3. Some of the "pros" around here play with other sticks; many prefer the old Microsoft Sidewinder 3DPro, but this requires either a working gameport connection, or a special USB adapter. Others play using a mouse.

Playing with a joystick will feel different, and may take a little while to get used to, but it will not be as fatiguing on your hands. Using a mouse for aiming is the most accurate, but joysticks can make longer turns. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Regarding how to best configure your controls: Lots of players use lots of different controls. Try various things until you find something which is comfortable and natural and allows you to do all the different movements/rotations and weapons at once.

Also, regarding multiplayer: Many of the players in the games have been playing for years and years. Don't worry about your ping or performance; just enjoy, and you'll get better at it the more you play.

Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

First thing- thanks.

The other thing is that mouse working bad for me- I'm much more accurate with the keyboard than with mouse, and I've tried mouse enough.

What do you say then- taking the offer?
Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, I bought the stick. it does good.

Because it my firs stick, I'll like to ask some questions:

Now I want to place the move forward and backwardsat the buttons, but it does not working Sad . There's a way to do so?

I'll also will like to know how to Calibrate it? It's to aensitive I'm afraid...

Also, It's kinda hard to use it now. Matter of time I belive.
I'm useing that configuration-
X axis- yaw
Y axis- pitch
Twist- bank
Hat- slides
Trigger- primary
2- flare
3- secondary
And so and so...

Any way to use the throttle?

Thanks a lot.
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Use your other hand for flares/fire secondary and forward/backward/afterburner. Most joystick players also use a keyboard with the other hand. Trying to do everything on just the joystick will usually hold someone back, also throttles are pretty much useless in Descent; none of the hundreds of joystick users I've talked with have used one.

I personally used the joystick X-yaw, Y-Pitch, R-Bank, hat switch for slides, and trigger for primary. Everything else I did with my left hand on the keyboard. It allowed me to do every basic movement and fire all weapons without moving my hands.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Norcimo
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks. I've Checked out myself and found you were right- it works better with keyboard+stick then stick alone.

Two more questions-

1. It's kinda hard to use the stick right now- so I need to get more experianced. Training level already became to easy, and retribution level one too.
which other SP levels you can recommend me?

2. There's a way to use my joystick instead of my mouse at the computer?
just curious Smile .

Thank's guys. You're really helping me.
Fiend
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

edit: get a Joystick or use a mouse config, I can't comment what's best 'cause after a few LANs I realize I'm the only guy w/ a KB in my lap and use a joy sidepan (a Joystick on a table to my side). I only know of one truly killer KB pilot, Magnet0.
View previous topic :: View next topic