Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Nerdy Pen Talk (split from "Shopping Tale") Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm planning on checking out "Black Swan in English Roses", "Blue Nosed Bear", "Cayenne", "Brown #41", "American Eel Blue", "Bad Blue Heron", and "Kung Te-Chen". I get some nice shading from all of these in regular pens, the Ahab may be too wet for the last two tho.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm impressed w/ the Ahab pen, you get some outstanding value for $20 IMVHO. Currently using one w/ KTC (2:1 H2O) as a regular writer for checking it out and it works great so far.

Two caveats tho: 1. before using it you need to take the feed out and clean it w/ some soapy water and a small brush to get the manufacturing oils and shavings out. 2. the piston o-ring is very tight, making the initial push-down very hard to operate. The 2nd batch will come w/ a different seal, a Q-ring. It is available as a spare here and I would recommend getting it in case you get/have a pen from the 1st batch.

Here's a review.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:01 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Got my Ahabs a few days ago. They're much less temperamental than the piston fill pens. I feel like I can stick one in my pocket and get reliable use out of it. My demonstrator seems a little cloudy though, like it wasn't polished properly.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Mine isn't perfectly clear either and the resin is UV reactive IIRC. They are not polished to a high gloss, so it could be normal.

Pretty hefty pen, but very comfy to use. Best all-rounder I've come across so far !

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Also recieved a charcoal Safari to replace the one I lost. F-nib and oh so smooth compared to my Al Star. I am going to buy a new nib for the Al Star. I think it's defective and can't seem to tweak it properly. I've got the Safari loaded with Iroshizuku Kon Peki. Gorgeous, silky wet ink, that shades beautifully. I know you only do noodlers, but damn, this is the best combo I've run across so far...so smooth.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Checked some reviews, people seem to like it and it looks great ! A bit on the pricey side tho... Reminds me, I can send you samples of the inks I got if you like. PM me your smail mail address and what you want (if you like blues, I would suggest AEB, KTC, BBH, and BBK.)

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:00 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Minor status update on the VP nib: got it back "fixed". Sort of. Yes, it's aligned now and yes, it's a bit more polished. But no, it's not what I ordered Evil or Very Mad I got an oblique italic but I ordered an oblique stub italic. At 0.5mm this makes it unusable on lesser paper than Rhodia -- aka pretty much everything I write on. Not only did he sent the nib out the 1st time w/o finishing it, he also failed to read the order (and a later email.) Grrrr.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hehehe.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Another shot of some ink/pen samples. Colors are fairly accurate (on my calibrated monitor that is), except Zhivago -- it's a green-black but lost its green component in the pic. It shades from a very dark green to black.

Third sample is from the italic nib mentioned above (which went back thrice, currently waiting for the stub -- probably getting it in Jan. Evil or Very Mad), last sample is from the same pen w/ a regular M nib, which actually is working very well. Pen is a bit on the heavy side but very useable w/ the retraction mechanism. Maybe a Pilot Decimo would work better...

Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://failblog.org/2012/01/11/epic-win-photos-win-pen-design-win/
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Montblanc Skeletons. Neat, a bit pricey tho -- about two to three orders of magnitude over my head Razz

Still haven't got my stub nib. Just got a delivery confirmation for a Pilot VP Stealth tho. Time to take a pic or two..

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here we go, my Capless collection -- Raden, Decimo, and Stealth. Along w/ a Noodler's Ahab and a Lamy CP1 for size.

What's currently about:

L2R:

- Noodler's Konrad Rollerball
- Kaweco Liliput
- Noodler's Ahab
- Lamy Studio
- Pilot Vanishing Point, Stealth
- Namiki Capless, Raden
- Pelikan M101N
- TWSBI 540
- Pelikan M205 Blue
- Pelikan M205 Yellow
- Lamy 2000
- Namiki Falcon

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Minor status update on the VP nib: got it back "fixed". Sort of. Yes, it's aligned now and yes, it's a bit more polished. But no, it's not what I ordered Evil or Very Mad I got an oblique italic but I ordered an oblique stub italic. At 0.5mm this makes it unusable on lesser paper than Rhodia -- aka pretty much everything I write on. Not only did he sent the nib out the 1st time w/o finishing it, he also failed to read the order (and a later email.) Grrrr.

After sending this one back twice I now got a 0.7mm stub clfo 4deg. Unfortunately it's yet another botched job; This ones finishing apparently resulted in a baby-bottom, ie. it has trouble starting a line. Makes for agonizing writing since you have to go back over your writing to retrace the starting bits. Also, again, they failed to read their own survey, ignoring the fact that I use pens at a low angle. And, I yet have to see any of the offered reimbursement of the return shipping costs that are $35 to date (soon $45).

Man, I'm pissed.

If anyone here wants a customized nib -- go visit a pen show and have the resident nibmeisters do it in front of you or learn to do it yourself. But don't order one on the internet, esp. not from richardspens.com. An adjusted nib should be fine, but not a customized one. They don't seem to follow their own procedures very well.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

FWIIW -- found a place that sells rebranded Diamine ink. The "Archival Vault" (= Diamine "Registrars Blue-Black") is a steal (review). iG based Blue-Black (Lamy BB, R&K Salix, Diamine Registrars) is one of my three main inks (next to Noodler's Black and Kung Te-Cheng), it works exceptionally well on bad paper and is very "business".

Their K35 nibs also fit Ahab pens, got a set on order.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That ink is great, but really messy in a pen. Only use in something you can easily disassemble for cleaning (like Noodler's pens) !

After some bitching on my end the VP nib did its final round-trip to RB for a regular stub grind. It's not as smooth as I would like it but at least it's usable now...

On an impulse I bought a used Decimo from nibs.com (great price, virtually new !) and while temporarily insane I ordered its nib reground to a stub. Bad idea. It arrived yesterday and while really smooth it has the same problem the 1st stub had -- it's an unreliable starter on side strokes unless pressed down hard. Shocked Seriousely, what's wrong with the crafts in this country ? Just sent a complaint to them, will see how that goes...

Meanwhile, I found a good guide on how to grind nibs. The Arkansas stone should be here by tomorrow...

Edit: forgot -- the Black Ahab is out. Get one while you can ! Wink

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Remember this funny spoof ?

Grendel wrote:
Hehehe.

Turns out that Nathan Tardif of Noodler's Ink saw it, got a good chuckle out of it, and then decided to go along and actually make some black ones. Nice.

Info comes from this interview, 2hrs but worthwhile listening to if you are interested in pens.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think I finally found what I was looking for:

These pens are perfect workhorses: easy to use friction caps, won't dry out when left uncapped for a few minutes (hooded nibs), easy to fill (squeeze fillers), all business (not for you if you want flashy Razz) From left to right:

Hero 616 -- a $2 chinese pen.. I have no idea how they can make that thing for that price. It's sort of funny that Hero filed 34 lawsuits in china against chinese companies actually making fakes of this pen (!) Got a 10-pack for $20 at isellpens. The one I carry around is loaded w/ iron-gall ink I don't want to put into a more expensive pen.

Parker 51. Probably the most reliable pen ever made. This particular one was made in the mid 60s in england and works great. If you are into tinkering, these can be picked up at yard sales for cheap. Restored pens in good condition run about $80 and up. I have a NOS F nib lined up for it once I get tired of its somewhat wide line Smile

Parker Super 21. A cheaper version of the 51 -- simpler filler, polystyrene, octanium nib. I got it NOS (!) for $47, worth it IMHO.

Edit: for the fans of "flashy" pens -- check out the Shaeffer Imperials here. Wink

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Terri Morris (Peyton Street Pens) has some refurbished Parker Super 21 in stock for $40. These are virtually NOS and tuned; Should work w/o fuss right out of the box. Your chance to own an excellent "Made in USA" pen ! Wink

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Terri Morris (Peyton Street Pens) has some refurbished Parker Super 21 in stock for $40. These are virtually NOS and tuned; Should work w/o fuss right out of the box. Your chance to own an excellent "Made in USA" pen ! Wink

Thanks! I bought a red one. Smile
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Got this in the mail today.

It's a nice smooth writer, so easy to fill and has a nice classic design. It's in perfect condition. Not a scratch on it. I'm amazed that this thing is from the 50's/60's. Thanks again for the heads up, Detlef.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:39 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Alright, glad you like it ! I'm a happy camper w/ mine. Smile

I agree w/ the amazement; Parker stopped making them in '65 so they are at least a year older than I am and yet they do look and feel brand new !

I did look into blue inks a bit, including the irushizuku line. Asa-gao caught my eye but I just can't make myself shell out $28 for 50ml ink. It's almost a buck per load in most of my pens :/ After some digging Namiki Blue turned up as a possiblity. From what I can tell it's a very similar shade -- but only $12/60ml (altho not quite Noodler's level...) and more waterproof. I should get the bottle tomorrow, will post a picture and some feedback.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:15 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, it's a lot to pay for ink. But, I ordered a sample from Goulet, and after using it for a couple weeks, I felt compelled to buy some. I've procrastinated because of the price, but it's been months since I ran out and I downright miss it. Finally pulled the trigger the other day and I'm a happy camper.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here we go. Not exactly as planned, turned out that the hood of the P21 I have destined for blue wasn't sealed right. Instead of sending it back I took it apart and resealed it (rubber cement works great for this and allows to take the hood of w/o problems later in life Smile) The parts in the lower half of the pic belong to the P21 (blue, EF), the ones in the upper half to a Hero 616 (green) :

Here's the latest page of my ink test sheets:

I like the Namiki Blue, well bahaved, good lubrication. A bit on the light side maybe. Interestingly it's darker right out of the pen and lightens as it sinks into the paper.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Which is the Namiki blue? Incidentally, I have some fresh vials. If you like, I can send you 5ml.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Oh, I see. No need, thanks for the offer tho !! Pilot and Namiki are the same company, "Pilot Blue (cart.)" is the same as Namiki Blue. Didn't write another test after I (visually) confirmed it Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ahh, right on. I knew that. Just didn't make the connection. Personally, I'm a fan of the Noodler's American Eel Blue out of those on your sample. Seems to have a bit of shading, which I like, and which is why I like the kon-peki, besides the fact that it writes like liquid silk. Smile
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My turn -- you want a sample of the AEB ? Smile From the blues I tried so far it definately is the nicest -- great shading, flow, lubrication, and a nice tone to boot. If you don't need waterproofness I promise you will like it.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yes, please! I'll PM you my new contact info.

Incidentally, I'm using the Parker as an everyday pen now and love it so far. Although, I keep reading about how they crack very easily, so I dunno. I'd hate to crack it.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Got it. May be a few days before I can make it to the PO tho stay tuned Smile

I'm lugging a 21 around as well, no problems so far. I'm not too concered -- the nib fits my 51. Smile

If you come across a 51, grab it ! It's slightly bigger, the cap actually grabs the clutch ring, it holds more ink, and it's made from lucite (PMMA). Restoring them to good working condition isn't overly complicated.

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That AEB was my favorite from the color sample Wink Love the color, def. the best blue ink in that regard.

I'm still resisting the allure of the Fountain pen but my will is eroding. Just paid way too much for my current favorite writing implements...and refills cost as much as buying the pens lately. That may be good for the environment or something but I call BS.

I have been thinking that if I run across any fountain pens in my garage sale trail I'm gonna snap 'em up to play with but I may cave in and buy one online to try out soon.

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

PM me your address and I'll send you a Hero 616 w/ some ink.

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

LOL first taste is free, eh? I know how you shysters operate.

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hehe, can't let you waste all those resources Razz Man, for $16.79 I can get 3oz of ink and a 616 -- will outlast those 12 sticks by far !

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
May be a few days before I can make it to the PO tho stay tuned Smile

If you come across a 51, grab it !

Thanks, man. No hurry.

If you see an opportunity for a 51, keep me in mind.

Bunyip wrote:
I'm still resisting the allure of the Fountain pen but my will is eroding.

I have been thinking that if I run across any fountain pens in my garage sale trail I'm gonna snap 'em up to play with but I may cave in and buy one online to try out soon.

Chris, you should check out a Lamy Safari for $28. If you don't like it, I'll buy it, assuming it's a F or EF. Comes with an ink cartridge. Nice pen for every day. Super reliable and a smooth writer.
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Got your package today! Thanks for the 616 and bonus inks. I love the Lamy turquoise from the look of your label. Of course, I went straight for the Baystate Blue. Inked up the 616 with it. It's bluuuuueeeee. Is there any way to get the blue staining off the pen itself where it was dipped?

Thanks again. Fun stuff.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic