Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Nerdy Pen Talk (split from "Shopping Tale") Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You are welcome.

Hehehe, BSB does stick, doesn't it. Wink It will stain stainless steel and porcellain sinks too. Bleach will get it tho, try wiping the pen w/ a paper towel dampened w/ a 10% bleach solution.

Thought you may like that Lamy ink. It's very nice in most pens and it's fairly cheap to boot.

Anchor

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I has a pen. I'll play with it on Monday. Too busy this weekend. Thanks Gren.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
I has a pen. I'll play with it on Monday. Too busy this weekend. Thanks Gren.

Nice!
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

New Noodler's Ink: Liberty's Elysium:

Quote:
Here's the newest ink from Noodler's, our Goulet-exclusive ink called Liberty's Elysium. This is a brand-new ink, not a reformulation or repackaging of any previous Noodler's ink. We have been working with Nathan Tardif for some time now on this ink, and what we wanted was a bulletproof vibrant blue, on par with Noodler's Blue (one of my personal favorite colors) that was inspired by Patrick Henry.

Got a bottle on order, will report back once I get it Smile

Edit: Use the coupon code "FPN" @ gouletpens for 5% off.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nice. Thanks. I snoozed on the Konrad. Now they're out of the color I wanted. Did you get one? If so...thoughts?

I'm tempted to pick up a blue Diamond 540 or Vac 700. But damn...35 extra bucks for the new design seems steep.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yea, I got the Brown Tortoise with my last ink order (impulse buy...) I'm not impressed, the Ahab is the better pen in every regard except the nib/feed IMHO. Oh well, probably going to use it for spare parts or mount a Knox nib and give it away as a present Smile

My drive to buy a Vac 700 dropped to zero ever since I tried vintage Parker and Sheaffer pens -- for their build quality the current TWSBIs are overpriced IMHO.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I gotta say, I had my 530 in my pocket for the first time since I got that Parker S21. For writing orders, taking notes, etc, it's better than that huge ass TWSBI. I missed the Parker. I really want to get my hands on a 51. If you ever run across a nice one for a good price, please let me know.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Will keep my eyes peeled. Some pointers if you are looking yourself:

- the "Demi"s are about the size of the 21, they were marketed to women. Personally I prefer the larger regular 51s, more comfy to use.
- I would recommend the Aerometric versions -- easier to maintain, won't "burp". If you go with a Vacumatic make sure it was serviced by someone trustworthy not too long ago.
- There are 51 Supers, they come w/ an octanium (Rolling Eyes) nib and the filler is the same open design as in the 21 Super. They are also made of the same plastic. Non-Super 51s are made from PMMA ("Lucite"). Feels nicer and is less prone to break/crack.
- I did not see any quality differences in P51s made in the UK vs. US made pens (nib is always made in the US.)

If you pick one up at a garage sale or thrift store, let me know -- I can walk you through the maintenance process.

Inane!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

what is the best pen
for drawing penises
on sleeping bro's faces
without waking them up

extra info: it should be classy. this is a classy frat damnit
extra question: is it ok to add urine to the ink? or will this negatively effect the pen mechanisms
extra question: will the totes dope angle of my hat negatively effect the quality of the drawing in question

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:07 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

roid wrote:
what is the best pen
for drawing penises
on sleeping bro's faces
without waking them up

extra info: it should be classy. this is a classy frat damnit
extra question: is it ok to add urine to the ink? or will this negatively effect the pen mechanisms
extra question: will the totes dope angle of my hat negatively effect the quality of the drawing in question

I present to you, the stainless steel sharpie.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:29 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Will keep my eyes peeled. Some pointers if you are looking yourself:

- the "Demi"s are about the size of the 21, they were marketed to women. Personally I prefer the larger regular 51s, more comfy to use.
- I would recommend the Aerometric versions -- easier to maintain, won't "burp". If you go with a Vacumatic make sure it was serviced by someone trustworthy not too long ago.
- There are 51 Supers, they come w/ an octanium (Rolling Eyes) nib and the filler is the same open design as in the 21 Super. They are also made of the same plastic. Non-Super 51s are made from PMMA ("Lucite"). Feels nicer and is less prone to break/crack.
- I did not see any quality differences in P51s made in the UK vs. US made pens (nib is always made in the US.)

If you pick one up at a garage sale or thrift store, let me know -- I can walk you through the maintenance process.

Thanks for the great information. I was reading a bit about the Parker's on parker51.com, so I already had a handle on some of it. I think what I'd like to do is buy one that's been refurbished and tuned up. I was reading a thread about a few FPN users who do this, yet I can't find any info on whether or not they sell online or through ebay or what...
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Biggest one is probably http://www.myfavoritepen.com . http://www.vintagepens.com usually has some, also has some spare parts. Then there are these places:

http://nibs.com/PreOwnPP_parkerpre.html
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=pens/vint.htm
http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/servlet/the-Parker-cln-Parker-51/Categories
http://gregminuskin.com

Can't hurt to sent emails to them and ask if they can round something up Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cool. Thanks.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun, click.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hah, my special order P51 nib is on the way back to me. Re-tipped and stubbed to 0.8mm by Greg Minuskin, looks great. Will post some pics of the pen once I have it back together. Smile

Edit: forgot -- Pun, just got a bottle of Sailor Sky High. Very nice ink, supposedly very close to Kon-Peki, way more reasonably priced tho. Wink

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Very nice pen. Ended up using a new black hood tho, didn't like the shape on the clear one.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ahh hell. Missed this. Thanks for thinking of me though. Smile
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun, check out these P45 Flighters. Very reasonable price for NOS (just ordered one. Smile. I ordered some parts from these people before, no problems. They also have some P51s. The blue Demi has a good price. The Demi 51s are about the size of P21s but much more solid with a way better cap clutch. That nib looks closer to an F to me.

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heads up! http://www.fountainpenday.org/

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:03 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Good call Smile

Check out the list of discounts, might be something of interest in there.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Need an anchor for the the pic. Found the pen at an Antique Mall for $4.95 Smile

[ignore]

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Holy shit, that's cool. What is it?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The presidential pen or the Sonnet nib ?

About the latter -- I picked up a few Parker Sonnets lately and one came with a chinese fake section/nib/feed assembly (the barrel & cap were original Parker.) The pics above are closeups of that nib/feed -- note how it says 18K ? I ran some sandpaper over the base of the nib, steel. Also, that diamond hallmark w/ a cross in it ? That cross is supposed to be an arrow and two P's... Check this out. More info here and here.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I just got one of the new Goulet nibs in and popped it in my Ahab. It's great. For a total investment of $35, it's a hell of a nice pen. Cell phone pics, but you get the idea...

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Whoa -- totally missed that one, have to check out the 1.1mm stub !

Lamy Turquoise, great ink ! Did you ever check out Sailor Sky High ? Also a great ink, close to Kon-Peki but way cheaper Smile

Here's my current selection of inked pens:

Left-to-right:

Parker 45 Steel CT w/ 14k M nib, Lamy Blue-Black (old formulation)
Parker 51 Frankenpen* w/ M nib, Sky High
Parker Sonnet Steel CT w/ 18k Stub nib, Pilot Blue/X-Feather mix (7:1)

I carry around the 45 and Sonnet, the 51 is a "desk" pen. Oh, another pen I've inked is a Pilot Decimo W/ a Stub, loaded w/ Salix. Forgot to pose it :/

* (broke a connector, converted it to take a cartridge, then pieced the pen together from spare parts -- black barrel, dark blue hood, 51 Special cap Smile)

Edit: ugh, $61.30 -- 1.1mm nib, 1.1mm TWSBI 580 unit, R&K Permanent Blau, Noodlers X-Feather...

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Man, you went parker crazy. I'm still looking for a 51 at a decent price. If you see anything, let me know.

Haven't checked out Sky High. But I splurged a few months back on a bottle of kon peki, and I use it pretty much every day. It's a big ass bottle, so it's going to last me a long time. I picked up the Lamy Turquoise because I loved the sample you sent me and went through it pretty quickly. I've got it in a red Al Star that I carry a lot.

Grendel wrote:
Edit: ugh, $61.30 -- 1.1mm nib, 1.1mm TWSBI 580 unit, R&K Permanent Blau, Noodlers X-Feather...

Yeah man. It's so easy to spend money at this place. Right now I'm coveting that special edition Midori Traveler's Notebook. It's exorbitantly priced, but I want one.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wow, that notebook is quite something. Reminds me that I need another book as well besides the small Rhodia weekly planner I carry around. I shall check them out...

Those Parkers are purely coincidental ... well, maybe. I like the size & weight of the 45, and the M + Lamy B/B works well on thermo paper ("please sign this" -- hate the public ball point pens, not very sanitary...) Found the Sonnet for $55 new on Amazon (w/ a fine steel nib, worked well.) Again, size and weight are excellent w/ that pen, in addition the snap-on cap makes it a very good note taking pen.

I'll keep an eye out for a 51 -- are you looking for something specific ?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, man. I think that's the coolest notebook I've seen. I use a notebook every day for work, which is how I'm rationalizing the "need". Haha...

I'm looking for any aerometric 51, preferably with silver colored hardware. I have found some nice ones, but they've all been overpriced in my opinion.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You mean a metal barrel, ie. a "Flighter" ? Unfortunately these always will be expensive since they are coveted by collectors Sad The ones made in Argentina are a bit easier to find and cheaper (a lot more were made) and they are fully silver colored (no gold clip or ring on the cap.) I'll keep an eye out.

(Curses -- while looking up my usual sources for vintage pans I found a P45 Circlet Harlequin w/ a stub nib. $110 in the hole...)

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Actually, no. Plastic barrel, just no gold-tone cap... I like the blues and greens, but would do any color if it was the right price/condition. I'm not really a fan of metal bodied pens at all for some reason.

Grendel wrote:
(Curses -- while looking up my usual sources for vintage pans I found a P45 Circlet Harlequin w/ a stub nib. $110 in the hole...)

Dude, you need help. Haha!
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I usually just stay off those sites nowadays... Can't pass on a P45 stub tho Wink

Hm, lots of sellers market the Forrest Green P51s as "rare" unfortunately (asking for premiums.) Navy Grey sometimes comes across as a light blue, personally I like the Teal Blue color. Cheapest are the Black, followed by the Burgundy. then the Teal and Grey. The Greens are the most expensive of the full sized Aero P51s. I'll check my lot, maybe I can part w/ one. Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
I'll check my lot, maybe I can part w/ one. Smile

Cool. Yeah, I probably like the teal blue best. But, I don't actually mind any of the colors.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:
Right now I'm coveting that special edition Midori Traveler's Notebook. It's exorbitantly priced, but I want one.

Ack, ETA changed to June Sad

Still trying to get a P51 inventory done, stay tuned. Any problems w/ a Special or engraved names ?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:11 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ahh shit. I knew that was going to happen.

Grendel wrote:
Any problems w/ a Special or engraved names ?

Nope. I'm just not a fan of gold hardware.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

(pushed to the next page)

View previous topic :: View next topic