Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Nerdy Pen Talk (split from "Shopping Tale") Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

(A Brief Shopping Tale)

Cool story. What pen is it, anyway? I love pens, and use them every day for work.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It's a Pelikan M215 Lozenge. Going to fit it w/ a M400 14C nib and running it on "Heart of Darkness" by Noodler's Ink.. I also have a Pelikan M205 blue demonstrator on order that will get a M250 nib as a carry-around pen. Smile

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ahh, that is a beautiful pen. I have always wanted a Pelikan pen. How are the Pelikan Roller balls and ballpoints? I have a Mont Blanc roller ball. It's a pretty pen, but it writes like crap.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, I can't really comment on that , I only own one ballpoint pen -- a Sensa (2nd one down). It works ok as far ballpoints do and I can really recommend it if you are looking for a good pen. Unfortunately they are pretty hard to come by since production ceased when Boyd Willat retired. It also doesn't help that there is an abundance of chinese knockoffs around Sad

As for luxury branded BPs, if you have one that is comfortable to hold but writes like crap, well, time to find a better refill I guess Wink Fisher refills look like they could fit, don't take my word for it tho. They write ok, are supposedly loaded w/ archival quality "ink", write upsidedown, and the ink sticks to what goes for paper these days. Pelikan manufacturing quality is quite high, but then they are one of the very few companies that manufacture outside of china. At least their higher end stuff... I don't really like Montblanc, they became a luxury brand after being bought by Dunhill in '77 and dropped anything affordable. I did like the MB 32 from the 60s my granddad gave me tho, unfortunately it broke and MB just sent it back to me saying "we don't touch these anymore".

I grew up learning to write w/ a fountain pen (BPs were actually prohibited in school...) and I always hated BPs -- you have to hold them w/ a death grip in order to push them almost through the paper to make them work. Makes longer writing quite a pain in the hand. Gel roller are a bit better (they need less pressure on the paper), but still the instrument is essentially a nail. The grip on a Sensa compensates for it to some extend but you still have to basically stab the paper. FPs on the other hand need very little pressure to leave a mark. And if you apply some, the nib will give, making for a different writing experience Smile With a good nib you still can apply enough pressure for a CC if needed. If you want to try one, a Pilot Varsity or Platinum Preppy costs about $3 and they work ok. The Varsity is the better of the two but you can't easily refill it or use your own inks. I use a Preppy filled w/ a blue/black ink mix that's impossible to remove from paper for filling out checks or signing documents, CCs fine and I feel a bit better about making it impossible for forgers to mess w/ it. Mr. Green

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks for the info. My penmanship is bad and I find that I write more neatly with a bit of resistance (ie pencil or ballpoint). But, for 3 bucks, it's worth a try. Fountain pens are cool.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hehe, they are and you are welcome Smile

As for penmanship, a fountain pen will not change it unless you change the way you write (which a FP encourages you to tho.) A lot of people seem to write by resting their palm on the paper and using their fingers to draw the characters -- combined w/ the way you have to grip a BP not only makes writing very tiresome but also amounts quite a bit to bad handwriting. Since you have to lift your hand very often, the script has little flow and tends to be cramped. Calligraphy or spencerian type writing is done w/ the shoulder, arm, & wrist -- pinky touches the paper lightly as a guide and your fingers just hold the pen in the right position to the paper. Makes for good flow and endurance. Unfortunately that's not easy to relearn, so I adopted a mixed approach -- trying to draw my chars as little as possible w/ my fingers and let the arm do some work (ratio varies w/ the situation.) Helped the readability and face of my handwriting quite a bit so far Smile Here's some info about it.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks Detlef. Can you also recommend a nice pen for around $100 give or take 50? It has to look awesome in my shirt pocket as well as being a good quality pen.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

nerds.

sadly I feel the pull.

damn you.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You know there's satisfaction to be had by holding anything of superlative craftsmanship in your hand, Bunbun. Be it a pen or a watch, or a woman.

/me waits for thread to be pounced upon by creationists because he used the word "craftsmanship" in relation to a human being. Razz
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh, everyone should enjoy a nice writing instrument ! W/ the service life of a good fountain pen it's actually cheaper than BPs. Just don't let yourself getting sucked into an obsession... Wink

Edit: Did I mention my Omega DeVille Co-Axial yet ? And my name change to "Frankenstein" ? Mr. Green

Pretty much anything in the Pelikan M150-M215 series is in that price range. The body shape and nibs are the same, the differences are in the material and ornation. Pelikan makes the nicest steel nibs I have come across yet, and comming from BPs you will want one (they are more rigid and take pressure better.) You can replace it w/ a gold nib later on if you want to. Caveat tho -- there have been reports of the plating on the gold colored steel nibs comming off, looks ugly but doesn't change the performance. So check if you see something you like in the M205 or M215 lines.

As for nib size, go for F, pretty close to a BP. Japanese F nibs are finer, M would be right for a japanese pen. American sizes are somewhere inbetween IIRC.

Pelikans also come w/ a 30 day period where they will exchange the nib w/ a different size for free, most usefull if you have a local shop that carries them. The Pelikans are high quality piston fillers, they hold a nice amount of ink and are easy to maintain. I have a Namiki Falcon that runs on a cartridge converter -- holds only a quarter or even less ink that the M2XX, total pain in the ass. Speaking of which, the Namiki Falcon is in that price range, but it's a very different feel compared to a BP (flexible gold nib.) Plus, it's a cartridge pen and the converter is tiny.

If you like something to look at check this pen, the TWSI 530. A colleague of mine has one and I was impressed w/ the quality you get for $44 ! (I'm very tempted to reactivate my PayPal account.. Smile) Can't go wrong w/ that one. They are very close in feel to the Pelikans, the 530 is quite a bit heavier (and bigger) tho. I think he had an F, will double-check that tomorrow tho.

Edit: yep, german nib. F it is.

For some browsing, check the The Fountain Pen Network's FP review archive, it's very extensive -- start w/ the pens I mentioned Smile.

As for ink, Noodler's inks are pretty much state of the art (stay away from the Baystate series for now tho.) Heart of Darkness is the most black ink I have written in (besides Rotring drafting ink), works very well in my M215. Polar Black or Polar Blue should perform equally well or even better on cheap paper. All three inks are "Bulletproof", ie. bond to the cellulose of paper and can't be removed once layed down and allowed to dry (most BP inks can be removed pretty easily !) The Polar series is also freeze proof to -40F IIRC.

FPN has also an ink review archive Smile.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I got the TWSBI. I figure even if I never improve my penmanship, it'll look good in my pocket. Now...what ink would work good in it, Gren? I sign a lot of checks and contracts, so something fairly durable would be good. What are my options?

PS, if you'd like me to split this thread, I will.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sure, go split it.

Congrats, good choice ! Cool

Inks -- I only use Noodler's Inks -- american made, yay ! All inks are formulated by a single guy who's a former FP collector Smile. Go for Polar Black or Polar Blue. For a pitch black Heart of Darkness, but it only comes in the big bottles. All Noodler's inks labled "Bulletproof" or "Ethernal" are water- and UV proof and resistant to anything forgers would use to get it out of paper (ethanol, bleach, carpet cleaner, acetone, etc.) All three inks mentioned are bulletproof and flow very nicely. HoD feathers a bit more on cheap paper tho.

For note taking at work and some occasional legal stuff & checks I use a 8:1 Polar Blue/Polar Black mix that's a pretty dark blue that shades a bit. For "official" legal stuff I use a 8:1 Luxury Blue/Polar Black mix that's a lighter shade of blue but lights up like a christmas tree under black light (on paper w/o brighteners. Got it loaded into a Preppy.) Besides beeing a bit expensive, Luxury Blue is a pretty dry ink and I wouldn't recommend it unless you mix it w/ Polar Black. For most other writing I use HoD. Using the blue shades for legal stuff makes spotting a photocopy quite easy.

Here's a list of (Noodler's) inks I have w/ some comments:

Heart of Darkness - main ink. Wet, DARK, ethernal
Polar Blue - used for mixing. Wet, slick, bulletproof
Polar Black - used for mixing. Wet, slick, bulletproof
Eel Blue - slick, a bit dry, ok ink, water resistant (want it ? I'm not using it anymore)
Luxury Blue - very dry, sorta jeans blue, UV sig, ethernal
Fox Red - very dry, nice red, UV sig, ethernal (my "legal" red)
White Whale - used for mixing. Very wet, UV sig, ethernal
Nikita - RED, wet, some water resistance, mix w/ 10% WW
Dragon's Napalm - mercurochrome color, fun stuff. NOT water resistant. Mix w/ 10% WW.
Baystate Blue - BLUE, serious, BLUUUE. Dry, a bit water resistant. Stains/desolves some plastics ! Not a beginners ink ! Looks great tho. For a blue.

A note on the square Noodler's bottles -- be carefull opening those, they are filled to the brim ! Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TWSBI Diamond assemble/disassemble.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
TWSBI Diamond assemble/disassemble.

Saw that. Pretty cool.

Haven't received my pen or noodler's ink yet. Incidentally, how do you mix the stuff? digital scale? Eyedropper? What sort of stuff do I need? Little vials? Etc...
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Working for a company that does inkjet printer R&D has its merits Smile. Counting drops with eyedroppers works fine for mixing small amounts of inks for testing colors (you can dip the pen instead of loading it.) For regular amounts I use small glas vials for holding and 3ml syringes w/ a blunt needle for measuring ink volumes and loading cartridges or converters. Filling a piston pen w/ this setup is a bit tricky since the vials openings are too small for the pens to go in. I use the cut off bulb of a throwaway eyedropper for that (you can see it in the picture just left to the front syringe.) Needs an improvised holder and a steady hand tho. It is a bit of a compromise since I'm playing around w/ inks. If you plan to use mainly one mixed ink, I would suggest to get a Lamy ink bottle, flush it out, and use that as a mix & storage container. Lamy did a great job designing this bottle, it has a dip underneath the opening to allow submerging the nib even if the well is almost empty. Alternatives are Namiki or Montblanc bottles, both are also designed to get the pen filled while low on ink (of course you pay extra for the bottle w/ the bird splat on the cap...)

I got a TWSBI 530 on order as well ! Planning to replace my "legal" Preppy w/ it since it has an airtight cap (dry ink) and a good steel nib (CC.) Makes for a better show when signing a document than the cheapo Preppy too Mr. Green

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks, man. Incidentally, my HoD comes with a free pen. You have any experience with the free NI pens?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

IIRC HoD comes w/ a Platinum Preppy converted to an eyedropper pen. I got two of these loaded at work, one w/ Dragon's Napalm (as an annotation pen) and one w/ Baystate Blue (haven't had the balls yet to load that stuff into a more expensive pen) They work fine but you need to pay attention to some details -- don't use them if there's less than 1/3 ink left, else they start to drool -- the air inside expands too much from the warmth of your hand. Mind screwing the barrel on after filling it -- too loose and it will leak, too tight and the o-ring may get squeezed out or the barrel splits, leaking again. I added a good amount of 100% silicone grease (Danco, $3 at Home Depot, lifetime supply) to the section threads before putting it back together JIC. The nibs are ok after breaking them in a bit by doodeling on a brown paper bag. Being a japanese F they are a on the thin side and stiff as a nail. Writing feels pretty close to a BP w/o needing the pressure. I don't carry these around in my inner pocket, 4ml ink can make quite a mess if you slam into something by accident... Smile I store the one w/ DN nib-up (very wet ink), the one w/ BSB horizontaly (ink doesn't like nib-up.)

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I got my pen today. It's a pretty amazing piece of engineering, and the build quality seems very good. The packaging is something Apple could've easily designed or better. It took me a while to find the wrench and silicone grease vial. I was pissed for a second there until I realized they were stored in their own slots under the bottom tray. I can't wait to put some ink in it.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:28 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Glad you like it, should get mine on Fri or so Very Happy

Meanwhile , while I'm still waiting for my Pelikan nibs:

I decided to retire my Sensa Meridian (black) even tho it's a very good writer. The damn thing is just too heavy for me to use it comfortably (well, that and the small converter is PITA) Guess in 10yrs or so it will be a collectors item Wink.

I also loaded up a Namiki Falcon SF w/ the polar mix -- boy did that nib hate the ink. I don't remember it having any serious problems w/ HoD in it beside a bit scratchyness (which I blamed on the japanese F size). W/ the polar mix it's reluctant to shell out ink when going backwards -- the top of a "s" would be barely there and the bottom half would saturate the paper. Need to check the alignment of the tines, but the magnifying glases I have are too crappy to get a good look at the point. Turns out that even simple tools of good quality are hard to find when the damn chinese are flooding the markets w/ $1 crap. I ended up ordering a BelOMO 10x loupe. Russian optics FTW Smile

Maybe we should move this thread to the Hobby Lobby... Razz

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Moved to Hobby Lobby at the OP's request.

Yeah, I was looking at some info on tip adjustment. Luckily, I have several decent quality 10x loupes from being in the printing business. Used them to test for proper registration and ink dot accuracy on print jobs. The one I use most is a Peak 10x Lupe, although the main advantage is a wide field of view. Not neccesary when looking at the tip of a pen.

Guess I should call it a nib, not a tip, eh? Razz
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks.

Yea, if it's on a fountain pen, it's called a nib Razz

I wouldn't expect anything seriously wrong w/ the nib of your 530, all german steel nibs I've come accross so far worked great out of the box (2 Pelikan and one Schmidt on the Meridian.) Flushing the pen w/ very slight soapy water then w/ pure water before the 1st fill will get rid of any manufacturing oils that could mess w/ the flow. If it's scratchy and the tines are aligned, try drawing circles & figure eights on a brown paper bag for a few minutes first (works also well for getting the paint of the Preppy nib Smile) If anything else is wrong w/ it (eg., I probably have the 1. problem w/ my Namiki) I would contact the seller and ask for a replacement nib -- supposedly he's very good in dealing w/ problems if there are any.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:23 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

And then there's the pen that's mightier than the sword -- the Schrade Tactical... Mr. Green Looks like a decent pen for ~$30 tho.

Here's some good FP info, BTW.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wow, that thing is cool. Would be nice to keep in the car.

Got my ink yesterday. Filled it up with HoD and it writes like a dream. I'm glad they shipped the cheap pen with the ink as well, because now I can see the difference between a cheapy and a quality pen.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My favorite quote, written by a teen when trying out a fountain pen for the 1st time: "I like writing with this pen, it makes me feel important !" Mr. Green

Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hmm pens, for some strange reasons i like pens too. Got this multi system pen from lamy a few years ago from an inflight shop on the way to africa and it never failed to me since then.

It includes 3 different color ballpens and a pencil+rubber, like the swiss knife for writing jobs. Smile Donīt wanna miss it anymore.

http://www.lamy.com/eng/b2c/4pen/495_31
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just catching up a bit here. Gotta love the ink names.

I was reading about mixing - I had a question... what is WW? I tried reading back but couldn't find the reference. Water?

Also, on the subject of mixing - I just wanted to note that I can make custom glassware for you. It's not gonna be machine perfect but...Made with love by bun-bun counts for something, right? I have glass tubing that is 12MMOD x 1MM thickness (10mm interior diameter) which I can make into a test tube, or a small flask or whatever suits. I also have larger sizes starting at around 20 mm x 3 mm, which is much sturdier and can be decorated to suit, blown out to a bulb, even made into a shot glass etc.

I could probably make some fuckin' cool inkwells too.Hmm. Speaking of inkwells (and glass), I can make pens too. They're the venetian style "dip" pens but if you're a collector yeah, I can hook that up. My style will vary from the ones shown... I work in Borosilicate glass and those were made with soda-lime so there are different constraints but I'm pretty sure I can make something you'd like. Lots. At least the look of. Not sure how it would write. more glass pens scroll down for more pix.

Point me in the right direction on what would be useful to ya Gren/Pun and I'll try to make some prototypes...

Speaking of glass x 2 (or 3 or whatever) - I haven't melted a goddamn thing in 2 months - I need to get out in the studio but I've been using my glass time on guitar...& I still have an outstanding personal goal to make a glass Pyro GL to make you people drool. (how cool would that be attached to your inkwell or on your desk or whatever...)

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

DigiJo wrote:
It includes 3 different color ballpens and a pencil+rubber, like the swiss knife for writing jobs. Smile Donīt wanna miss it anymore.

But it's a ballpoint ! Yikes Razz I tried something like that once, just couldn't get my hand used to it.

Bunyip wrote:
Just catching up a bit here. Gotta love the ink names.

I was reading about mixing - I had a question... what is WW? I tried reading back but couldn't find the reference. Water?

Yea, Mr. Tardif has a fine sense of humor Smile WW stands for The Whiteness of the Whale, a very strange ink people have trouble finding uses for. I use it to "wet" and proof some inks. Interestingly he sells most of his production to a chip foundry in Taiwan, they use it to label chips...

Bunyip wrote:
Point me in the right direction on what would be useful to ya Gren/Pun and I'll try to make some prototypes...

Dip pens are a bit too hardcore for me. Not sure how big the market for these really is but I bet you could sell inkwells. They do need some form of cap tho, for most fountain pen users it needs to be a screw cap no less :/ A stopper or flip-lid works for dip users. Opening need to be reasonably wide, the inner shape needs to be something like a cone standing on its tip. The base should be wide and the whole thing needs some weight (tipping resistance.) Jetpens may be interested in selling them for you.

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What about for your mixing - you needed a wider bottle or something I thought you said?

As for caps, etc, if you're talking hand-made you're talking corks for inkwells. I could probably come up with some kind of ground glass fitting but it would just be essentially a ground glass cork still.

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cork material as a stopper only works if you use it for one ink only. Also not sure how some inks would react to organic meterial. Better would be rubber or PVC stoppers. By lid I ment something like the pic to the right.

Nothing special about the mixing, you would use the bottle where you store the ink in (maybe a smaller one would be usefull for testing inks.) The vials I use for mixing are pretty small, can't get a pen in their opening for loading it. Can't complain too much tho, they were free Smile

Grendel wrote:
And then there's the pen that's mightier than the sword -- the Schrade Tactical... Mr. Green Looks like a decent pen for ~$30 tho.

Turns out that's a no-no -- the nib/feed element is a chinese IPG knockoff. Sad

On a lighter note, got the loupe today, yay ! Great piece of equipment, highly recommended ! Allowed me to fix my Namiki pen w/in a few minutes Smile

Also, here's an interesting torture test of a few inks.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Got my nibs today. The M400 is fantastic -- looks very nice in the 215 pen, best writer I ever owned so far Smile I will try to shoot a picture or two as soon I can find some time.

The M250 turns out to be a dud -- arrived w/ bent tines. After some carefull realignment I installed it in my 205 pen -- sucker is laying down a very wet M or even bigger line. Totally unusable for me Sad Well, sent an email asking for help, curious what the solution will be...

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Some pics would be sweet. I've been enjoying my TWSBI. It does write a bit thicker than I'd like, but perhaps I'm pressing too hard or something. I'm used to my Mont Blanc roller ball. I still need to play with mixing some ink, but haven't got around to ordering a bottle.

I am totally hooked now. I've gotten like a dozen compliments already on this thing.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Very Happy

Well, these nibs don't really give noticeable so I think you are stuck w/ it (unless you want to get into nib mods.) A different ink may help, supposedly Noodler's Bulletproof Black is a bit dryer (I have a bottle on order, will let you know.) Your best shot would be to get the TWSBI EF nib (extra fine). It's very easy to swap out, you don't even need to empty the pen for that. I did think the F nib on my TWSBI looked a bit broad but it seems ok for checks & signatures (running 8:1 Luxury Blue/Polar Black in it.) I'm leaning to get an EF nib myself tho Smile

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I ended up ordering that EF.

Here are some Q&D shots of some pens floating around:

L-R: Sensa AMX Carbon Nickel Fiber Ballpoint Pen, Platinum Preppy 03, Noodler's Ink Fountain Pen, TWSBI 530 Demonstrator, Namiki Falcon, Pelikan 215 Lozenge, Sensa Carbon Black BP.

The Pelikan 215 w/ M400 14C two-tone F nib:

Namiki Falcon SF:

Noodler's Ink Fountain Pen w/ a flex nib:

The Pelikan 205 Blue Demonstrator waiting for the M250 14C nib:

The Sensa AMX:

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:56 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Well, these nibs don't really give noticeable so I think you are stuck w/ it (unless you want to get into nib mods.) A different ink may help, supposedly Noodler's Bulletproof Black is a bit dryer (I have a bottle on order, will let you know.)

Some observations after messing w/ stuff: the TWSBI nib does open up a little under pressure, so going easy may help w/ the width. A different ink can make a big difference -- I loaded Bulletproof Black into the Falcon SF and it's now writing half as wide of what it was w/ Luxury Blue or Fox Red ! BB seems to have quite a different surface tension, very dry ink. I have some writing samples around, will post a pic after some more tests.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here's the promised picture -- note the Namiki Falcon SF entries (Fox Red, Luxury Blue, and Bulletproof Black.)

A word of caution -- the colors are fairly close but not exact. On my screen. Smile YMWV. Also note that the damn Falcon is a diva -- VERY picky about inks, paper, and writing angle...

View previous topic :: View next topic