Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Music Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
I'm pretty sure he uses autotune now, Flip....

;)

I don't even have auto-tune. I used to, it can serve a purpose... like when the feeling is perfect in a vocal take but you were a bit flat on a few notes. It's actually worth it to keep the feel. But it ruins the sound of the human voice if you ask me. I like when someone raises the hairs on my back singing, thats never happened to me with auto-tune.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Lol suck that BunBun Razz
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Lol suck that BunBun Razz

So the thread wasn't created to share music you've written and recorded? And if you do, there is no constructive criticism at all, just stupid comments with a smiley face? What's the point?

How neat. I think music is a great hobby and I encourage people to participate and learn it. You are about as creative as your lame jokes. Razz

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Lol, that coming from you means nothing. [deleted] so as not to offend the turd [deleted]

Honestly, most of what I play is what I come up with, since it's so much easier than covering another artists work. I'm a hobby, novice guitar player that has just recently even been able to tune the damn thing. I said your vocals were thin and muddy, what the hell else you want. Eat shit and die [Smile]
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nothing wrong with any level of playing. Why some crack about "mtv"? Go be a novice then... I won't help you with your petty attitude.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Jesus man I got you all wrong. Did you not get that I was joking and it was actually a compliment to your playing and a dispersion on todays new 'artists' and the use of pitch shift just so you can listen to something while they shake their ass? Didn't ask for help, just wanted to meet some new musicians. You got issues dont ya?
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Gotta be careful joking with comrade themeat whatpuppet adamskibrobro Wink Or at least be prepared to be mystified and amazed. For example, my Auto-tune comment was carefully calibrated to provoke discussion rather than inflame (although either result would have been acceptable to me)

To both of you I say: GG. GEE GEE.

And maybe one day I'll post some of my musical endeavors. 'bout a year from now, I'm guessing - that is if we're still here and not in Magic Sky Father land (or his evil brother's underground sauna)...

Before that though, I'm going to attempt a glass pyro. I have high hopes.

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dude if you make a glass pyro and it's reasonable, definitely put me down for one. Yeah get over it Adam, it was all said in jest.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Jesus man I got you all wrong. Did you not get that I was joking and it was actually a compliment to your playing and a dispersion on todays new 'artists' and the use of pitch shift just so you can listen to something while they shake their ass? Didn't ask for help, just wanted to meet some new musicians. You got issues dont ya?

Around here it's only me being a dick or having issues - everyone else is "just joking". =) It's old and not funny anymore.

I didn't think you were asking for my help, but that happens naturally when you share information and opinions. As far as "shakin' your hips" I danced my ass off on saturday night to club music because thats what it is good for, my feet still are a little sore.

The truth is I used to be a really competent musician with focus on writing... but I could hold my own just fine on guitar and vocs live. Not brilliant, not hack, just solid. It's been 13 years since I was really serious and now I am a hobbyist. Most of my friends are either live musicians or sound guys and gals.

As far as the voice being muddy and thin, that mix was a one off burnt to cd so I could bring it home (you can tell by the mains being turned down right away in the beginning. If it would have mattered he would have re-done it a hundred times). I didn't mix it, my friend who played the v-drums, keys, and bass did in an apartment. If you really want to pick it apart the 2 guitar parts are not really that tight at all, they drag. But I can't listen to it anymore either.

So peace and love and all that happy shit. My reaction was based on years of these jackwipes making cracks about anything you present to them like they are being funny and offer no evidence they can do a damn thing. You DID offer evidence.
Razz

P.S. I have some interest with messing around with music again maybe I'll post something if there is anything interesting and would welcome feedback that isn't based on goading someone over the fuckin' intanet like a pee-stained underwear coward, just sayin'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It's all good man, in fact, when I posted this you were who I had in mind. I've heard some of your other stuff you had posted and knew you were a musician and was hoping I could get some ideas from you. Muddy, yes because of the recording, I threw thin in there just being an asshole but not serious. I'd appreciate hearing something recent, 10 years is a long time.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
I'd appreciate hearing something recent, 10 years is a long time.

TheWhat wrote:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3908663/E%20thing%20with%20delay9000.mp3

That was an hour after I heard your piece and I ripped it off, err did "a variation on your theme". That's pretty new. ;p
(Not for a song I'm not a bitch)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TheWhat wrote:
Around here it's only me being a dick or having issues - everyone else is "just joking". =) It's old and not funny anymore.

lol I love this guy.

TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
lol I love this guy.

That makes 2 of us. =)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I have (occasional) hopes that you will learn the difference between busting balls and actual attacks one day. Just as I have occasional hopes that I may be able to play something more complex than Yankee Doodle if I practice real hard every day.

Like maybe Power Chords. whoooo Wink

TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You can't tell what busting balls is with text. Cowards can always just type "I was just kidding! You are taking this way too seriously." Ok, maybe that dude is right. And if you do the same or are often better at 'ball busting' back it's "you asshole you are so twisted". Fuck that cycle bullshit. OLDE and boring.

Nothing wrong with any chords, it's how you use them. People who knock power chords are looking at guitar playing visually when it's sound. If the chord fits what you are trying to do, use it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You're not supposed to escalate ball busting because then it turns into a slap fight and everyone looks like a homo.

..and yes the Scorpions showed that it's not the chords it's what you do with them Wink

TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
You're not supposed to escalate ball busting because then it turns into a slap fight and everyone looks like a homo.

..and yes the Scorpions showed that it's not the chords it's what you do with them ;)

The worst thing about the Scorpions is that they dont have hurricanes in Germany.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Apparently now they do

TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
Apparently now they do

Well fuck powerchords then.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/01/136859090/the-power-of-music-to-affect-the-brain
With the guest lady with an unmusical voice. Is that called "Irony", alanis?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
Apparently now they do

Quote:
Officials at Cologne's Romano-Germanic Museum said the storm damaged a mosaic of Dionysus in about 50 spots, but added that the image of the wine god himself remained unharmed.

Thank godness ! Mr. Green

2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TheWhat wrote:
Is that called "Irony", alanis?

Don'cha think?

Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You know, honestly I don't feel I'm in a position to criticize another musicians work. I just listen and try to learn at this point. Funny thing is, This song here was the one I heard on TV and came back here to try and play it. As soon as my G-string went into tune it burst and I ended up just playing around with that e-delay. Yours is closer to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M3a4e_OZP0

This song makes me horny for my ole lady Smile.

Jeez, I picked the first link but this is live version, freakin awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqJ9M6JenKM&NR=1
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
You know, honestly I don't feel I'm in a position to criticize another musicians work.

Why not? If it's constructive it doesn't matter - it helps someone understand how someone else perceives it. I do get frustrated with what I call "American Idol" syndrome where everyone around an office watercolor gets to just rip someone with a smug tone in their voice. But that isn't the same as constructive criticism.

Besides, we opened for a band at the 7th street entry once and their guitar player said over a microphone "Those guys sucked". Which is weaksauce, and we didn't, but the skin is thick. =)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ok. Some of the voicings are awesome. Nice nuances to them, but the whole thing in it's entirety seems frenetic and pissed off. Not relaxing, mellow or soothing at all.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Ok. Some of the voicings are awesome. Nice nuances to them, but the whole thing in it's entirety seems frenetic and pissed off. Not relaxing, mellow or soothing at all.

Why should it be soothing or relaxing?
In fact, I don't even know what playing you are typing about. Colors and texture include: RAWR and love and hate and beauty and ugly and everything... why should it be soothing and relaxing? I can hear the soothing sounds of Kenny G and want to throw a chair through a sliding glass window. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Valid point, music can and should elicit any number of emotions, but you don't want to scare your audience off. You want them to leave feeling like you tried to share something good and pleasing to them. Music sets the mood, who the hell wants to be angry and pissed off all the time? Now, if your alone and playing to yourself, it is a great release and fun as hell to make that guitar sound how you feel.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Music sets the mood, who the hell wants to be angry and pissed off all the time?

I don't know what that means. Blues cut with some other stuff isn't angry. What does that mean?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dude, I just wanted to share some music with others in hopes they would share some with me, I can listen to professionals all day long but not from the possible hobbyist guitar players in this community. I have no interest at all in having a philosophical debate over a hobby. Fun, remember?
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Fun, remember?

Yes.
Unfortunately, for all involved I'm re-obsessed with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Downward_Spiral :)

Maybe, we will make happy sing songs together? I can write fast, and you have a sense of melody. With my boy in Brooklyn, we did 6 songs in 4 days.

Shit works out if it wants to. I always wanted to do a song with Jeromie (psion) because we had a funk connection. But that never happened, you should check out his stuff its really good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Still say his version (how can the original be a 'version'?) of Hurt is better than Cash's.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:39 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
Still say his version (how can the original be a 'version'?) of Hurt is better than Cash's.

I think both versions are perfect and you don't have to choose.

http://youtu.be/aCMLwbdSrTY
Harmony with the king freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What the noob can't even tie a high E string :p. Pissed off as hell round 2 tomorrow Razz
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
What the noob can't even tie a high E string :p. Pissed off as hell round 2 tomorrow :P

i do 2.5 to 3 winds. but i suxk. i listened to my variation on your thing, and its really good for a take. it's not angry its phat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:37 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cash took that song and made it his own. It now has two owners. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzjqPGdOSM

TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3908663/hurt%20joke.mp3
I definitely need auto-tune said beer! and Zuruck is my favorite. =)