Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Music Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:03 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Anyone know the best site to upload and share music through?

EDIT: I guess this is as easy as it gets =/. Well, I was tuning up the other day and the g-string burst. This is what came of it.

http://www.filedropper.com/delayshit
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:11 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sounded pretty nice. Finga-Style Guitar Fu?

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh, it didn't hurt that the weed was excellent Smile
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

For sharing some music a friend and I are working up, I've been looking into SoundCloud. Their TOS appears reasonable, and it seems to be a well-developed system, with options for sharing your stuff any number of ways.

Insane!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

dropbox is cool.

it was perty.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

All my musical type friends use soundcloud. Lots of cool features.

Cool track, btw. Cheers.

You ever listen to any Jose Gonzalez?
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3908663/E%20thing%20with%20delay9000.mp3

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ah dropbox was what I was looking for, just couldn't remember the name.
I only started playing about 3 years ago and had to learn to play left handed on account of a bad skateboard accident when I was younger and for some reason, until that string broke, I had never been ever to break it up like that.

I searched for Jose Gonzalez and this is the first hit. Cool and mellow with a Crosby, Stills and Nash feel. I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_4abCWw-w
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
I searched for Jose Gonzalez and this is the first hit. Cool and mellow with a Crosby, Stills and Nash feel. I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_4abCWw-w

One of my favorites. It's a cover of this:

The Knife - Heartbeats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcv3v6XfEvM

Not sure which one I like better!
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Ah dropbox was what I was looking for, just couldn't remember the name.
I only started playing about 3 years ago and had to learn to play left handed on account of a bad skateboard accident when I was younger and for some reason, until that string broke, I had never been ever to break it up like that.

Interesting. I jammed the thumb on my fretting hand (righty) on a quarter pipe ramp 22 years ago. I still can feel it to this day if I play too long. I liked that you were forming melodies with your playing. I was noodling to it with an acoustic so I posted what I came up with, I often play with head phones while in cubase.

Good work mate keep it up. And if you break a string during a live performance you will have to pretend it didn't happen and adapt, it's a good experience for you. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I have to say if not for that gal's voice, the original is too techno for me. She really makes that song though Wink.

Ha, I was around 8-9 and wiped out hands first, shoved a huge piece of glass in my hand that wasn't discovered for another 14 years. Made fretting nearly impossible.
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
I have to say if not for that gal's voice, the original is too techno for me. She really makes that song though Wink.

Her name is Karin Dreijer Andersson. She's the female half of the brother/sister duo that is The Knife. If you like her voice, you should check out her later project Fever Ray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUqZKzCH34E&feature=fvst
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:

I audibly chuckled at that. I understand what you're saying - but to me calling that techno is like calling Simon and Garfunkel heavy metal Wink Sounds more like 80's synth pop to me. With a Y2K+ twist.

That said, I prefer the Jose Gonzales cover myself. Speaking of cool acoustic covers and 80's music, if you haven't heard this before, check it out: Flunk- Blue Monday The guitar is hypnotic, and way beyond my feeble attempts to play it.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:23 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think he meant "electronic".

I love them both, for different reasons, but I lean toward the original. Then again, The Knife comes in at #2 in my last.fm library, and Fever Ray is on page two. Combined, they're my #1 listen.
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Lol, I'm a dinosaur. I still have the local classic rock station tuned in on my radio and 20 gigs of music probably most older than the 90's Razz . This is all good shit too though. Yeah the Jose Gonzalez covers kills for me just because of how awesome an instrument the guitar is. One guy, one instrument and very damn entertaining. After going back and listening to the original version a few more times, I'm appreciating it even more, albeit for the same reason. She has a lovely voice that melds into those synths beautifully.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:47 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:

Heh. I'll accept that. As an adjective, rather than a genre label Wink

So I have a question for you guitar guys..

Pick, or finger-style? and why?

d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:24 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Depends upon what I"m playing. There's no way you can pick classical guitar songs, but there are also some songs that would tear apart my nails trying to play finger-only.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What Jake said. Depends on the style of music you intend to play on the guitar. Fingerpicking is great for making notes sound over other ones while still staying distinct.

EDIT: Razz
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
Pun wrote:

Heh. I'll accept that. As an adjective, rather than a genre label Wink

So I have a question for you guitar guys..

Pick, or finger-style? and why?

That's like asking "fork or spoon?" It's all about making the right noise. The hardest part about playing guitar is not fretting the chords or notes, or hitting the strings, it's the finesse to coax a certain personality out of your instrument. I'm a pretty horrible guitar player, but that is my 2.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:06 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Maybe my question should have been a bit more specific.

I guess I'm looking for a little direction. I'm learning guitar with a pick - but my current teacher is a classical guitar player by training, although he can play either style with ease so I don't feel like I'm being shortchanged. My question though, is: Would it be beneficial for me to switch to finger-style soon or should I stick with the pick until my fret hand is a little more educated and I can read music a little better? My teacher has been infuriatingly neutral on the subject although I know he leans toward finger-style.

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Id say finger style too. It was just easier for me to develop muscle memory that way and then advance towards trying to control the pick.YMMV
d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Agreed. My instructor is a classical guitar nutcase. He's had the chance to teach hundreds and hundreds of students in guitar, and he's found that those that learn it the quickest started with the classical track. Afterward you can shuffle it over to a pick. I find it interesting that while learning to play by hand, you can get a better feel for how chords are built, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Id say finger style too. It was just easier for me to develop muscle memory that way and then advance towards trying to control the pick.YMMV
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
I guess I'm looking for a little direction. I'm learning guitar with a pick - but my current teacher is a classical guitar player by training, although he can play either style with ease so I don't feel like I'm being shortchanged. My question though, is: Would it be beneficial for me to switch to finger-style soon or should I stick with the pick until my fret hand is a little more educated and I can read music a little better? My teacher has been infuriatingly neutral on the subject although I know he leans toward finger-style.

You will develop habits either way.
I started out self taught with picks and pop, rock, and funk music... all fine and dandy, but thats what your motor functions get used to and that will become your palette. Eventually, I took music theory and could read perty well... and bought a Fernando Sor guitar book in Italian and learned it, best thing I ever did. Segovia is a personal favorite and recorded many Sor compositions.

I don't know what you want out of music or guitar playing but the more you know the more you know. People start out with picks often because you can get results sooner.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
EDIT: Razz

I know what you wrote last day... ;P

Ace

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh. Yes, a foolish and regretful remark, though somewhat true, should have been kept to myself Smile.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Heh. Yes, a foolish and regretful remark, though somewhat true, should have been kept to myself :).

Well, what did you type? Couldn't be that bad.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I found about 30 blues backing tracks done by some orchestra about 3 years ago and have been trying to play along with them since Razz. This is my study of intervals done over E-blues progression Smile.

http://www.filedropper.com/e-bluesintervals

Bunyip, if you want some of these or all of them just let me know. I can maybe find a link still or FTP. I found them a hellova lot more fun trying to learn than just listening to myself. Lol
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here I thought most of you pussies were musicians or artists. Post some of yo shit here.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I post glass..elsewhere... Of course, not recently because I hate setting up and breaking down my light tent. As for the music you don't want to hear me hacking away at minuet in G... lol

on a side note, I talked to my teacher, he's suggested a little more work on reading music and then phasing in some finger style exercises. He commented that it gets a little boring and I was like dude, I'm not playing crazy train, I'm playing yankee fucking doodle you think I'm doing this for entertainment?

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well let me just say something that has helped me, It's all about intervals. It's not sliding from A to D, it's sliding from the tonic to the perfect 4th. In that way every note has the same name depending on position from the tonic. That greatly simplified things for me and now what I do is close my eyes, pick a tonic, then slide up and down while listening and trying to identify the interval. Mainly because I'm a lazy mofo and I don't want to learn to read music. Once I get these intervals down I'm moving on to modes then:)

These blues tracks really help you get your guitar in tune and hear the relationship of the interval. If you can't play and tune an instrument by ear, you are no musician Razz. Once I learned to tune it, then the intervals became alot easier to learn. It's no great trick or gift. All human ears hear within the same range, just don't know what to listen for.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Here I thought most of you pussies were musicians or artists. Post some of yo shit here.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3908663/wasted%20time%20mix.mp3

This about 10 years old and the choruses were cut due to my bad vocals that day. =) It's a generic greenday ripoff but has merit. I forgot about it until a week ago. You know you've written too many songs when you fucking forget that you even did them. Suck it.

I've been doing a slower acoustic version lately, for fun, ya know.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not bad but yeah the vocals were a little muddy. 10 years ago huh? Let me here some more recent arrangements Smile. I'm gonna grab me another set of elixirs and post the very first song I tried to play. Stairway To Heaven Razz I'd like to find some artists to collaborate with.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm pretty sure he uses autotune now, Flip....

Wink

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Lol. Well if that's the case then he must be ugly as hell, otherwise we would be seeing him on MTV Razz.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic