Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > What is the purpose of life? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smotie
The Wombat

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Gday from down under.

To me the meaning or purpose in life is to:

1. Have relationship with God
2. Love your family and friends
3. Help others when you can
4. Enjoy life as much as you can
5. Try to leave as much money as you can to your kids when you die.

Smile
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I like this one Smile
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hey, Bettina removed her viewpoint Crying or Very sad
Spidey
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

She must be pouting over her new rank.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

she yearns for the dark side but can't get past her upbringing.

Bee
Miss Priss

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
Hey, Bettina removed her viewpoint

I initially commented because it's a very interesting topic and I really thought this thread would give me some new perspectives from people who don't visit the other forum. I removed my post because I was wrong. The thread quickly degenerated and turned childish and I didn't want to be part of it anymore. No offense to anyone and that's pretty much how I'm going to operate here.

Spidey wrote:
She must be pouting over her new rank.

Wrong again Mr.Snidey, "Miss Priss" is fine with me.

Bunyip wrote:
she yearns for the dark side but can't get past her upbringing.

Smile I will never fall to "the dark side" nor have any yearning to. I'm very proud of my upbringing and I will continue to orbit .com and make another attempt at a surface landing when I see something in the future that looks like it has a chance.

Bee
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You already are on the dark side, Bettina. Razz Regardless of the silliness, I've found some diamonds in the rough here, even though I didn't mention them. I really think you should reconsider.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bee wrote:
The thread quickly degenerated and turned childish and I didn't want to be part of it anymore. No offense to anyone and that's pretty much how I'm going to operate here.

Silly IMNSHO - but your perogative, I suppose.

2 comments:

By removing your presumably worthwhile comments, you actively contribute to the degeneration you deplore. Good one! I enjoy the irony.

Your action conveys a rather childish "I'm going to take my ball and go home" impression, whatever your actual intention may be. Once again, the irony tickles me...

Jess
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:24 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'd say all in all, this thread stayed on topic better than most. Heaven forbid someone give a humorous answer. Without the chance for humor, I probably wouldn't read half the topics on any forum.

The recent turn of events really makes me giggle though. In the grand scheme of the world, what's said and discussed here (dbb.com) is pretty tame. Heck, I heard worse when I went to church in my youth. The only way I could avoid these types of discussions is to walk around in a bubble with my eyes closed and my fingers shoved in my ears.
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:30 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I guess we know now why you're so corrupt. See I told you I can start a worthwhile topic. ^_~

Bettina's new reply obeys the laws of physics—namely, the principle of least action [kinda]. Lagrange would be proud. Razz
Jess
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
I guess we know now why you're so corrupt.

You're the first to consider me corrupt (to my knowledge). Maybe you're too sheltered. Smile

Perhaps I should have stayed in church to avoid all of the sinners. Wait... no, that's where the hang out. Damn! Where do you recommend?
Magnet0
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Smotie wrote:
Gday from down under.

To me the meaning or purpose in life is to:

1. Have relationship with God
2. Love your family and friends
3. Help others when you can
4. Enjoy life as much as you can
5. Try to leave as much money as you can to your kids when you die.

Smile

I agree with 2-5. 1. is subjective and one's own right to do. I choose not to because a god existing is ludicrous in at least 1,000 ways I can list. Also, nothing in the bible can be 'proved' beyond the shadow of a doubt. Therefore, taking the words therein as absolute gold standard fact, could only be blindly followed and not for me. I like to SEE the 'person' I idolize and/or believes words, word for word. Also, I choose not to FEAR someone/something so BENEVOLENT. Why are god believers, god FEARERS as well? Doesn't make much sense.

I'll leave you with this quote from George Carlin, "Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity."
Thorne
Ace

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sean Connery as King Arthur, "There's a peace that is only to be found on the other side of war."

[deleted]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Lack of proof is not proof of lack. Sorry, Magneto, but I won't bite. ^_~

Morals & Dogma wrote:
An argument that convinces one mind does not affect the other.... Nine tenths of men who are regarded as men of intellect cannot distinguish the false logic from the true...

Jess wrote:
Neo wrote:
I guess we know now why you're so corrupt.

You're the first to consider me corrupt (to my knowledge). Maybe you're too sheltered. Smile

Stranger things have happened. Like you considering me to be stupid.
Maybe you're too demoralized. ~_~
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I never get why people like to get so hung up over the word "fear" when translating religious texts. It always gets taken so literally. Most of the time when people don't like a religion, it's because they don't understand it.
LotharBot
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
I never get why people like to get so hung up over the word "fear" when translating religious texts.

Mostly because they don't understand either 16th century English or whatever the original language was.

In the Bible, the word translated as "fear" in the phrase "fear God" is closer to "respect" than "be scared of". It's a word I might use when describing high-voltage lines -- don't walk around being paranoid that they're going to get you, but don't get careless around them and treat them casually.

People also get tripped up sometimes when the Bible (KJV) talks about "meat" when it's talking about grain. It turns out the English language has changed in the last 500 years. Surprise!
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well I feel better now that Lothar is here to tell us how we're all wrong again. Thanks bro!
LotharBot
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:02 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It'd be easier if you were wrong less often.
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

For realz, maybe tomorrow you can explain to me why my girlfriend wont let me eat a full english breakfast everyday.
Avder
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Who wants to eat english food anyway?

Eat a farmers breakfast. Lots and lots of protein in it....
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Why don't you google a full english breakfast before saying something? So much good food, all cooked in cast iron. God I'm so turned on right now.
Thorne
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sounds to me like its because she wears the pants in the relationship. Wink I'd eat heart-attack on a plate when I want.

[deleted]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:07 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Maybe because he's not English. Razz
Beowulf
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm ok with everything but the black pudding. English food is gross.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Shut up raghead. Where you been? Owning kids in Crysis just aint the same without ya
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You like Crysis? You're about to be in one. ~_~

I wouldn't expect English food to be too good. ^_~ Maybe the monarchs can shed some light on the subject on the purpose of life (and their food). Hoo knows? ^_~
Fiend
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

just when u thought this thread went away,

life = choice

exercise free-will, move sideways in time, avoid 9-line binds.
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:02 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Move sideways in time... is that like triple chording? Razz
Fiend
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

that counts!
Smotie
The Wombat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:53 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

In all this you guys missed the obvious...Gaming Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic