Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > What is the purpose of life? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I thought I might as well ask. What are your viewpoints?

Right now, it seems to me that the purpose is to learn wisdom from our experiences and so forth; not necessarily for us though. ~_~

Don't listen to Agent Smith. heh
Woodchip
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

There is no purpose....just ask any tree.
Spidey
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What is the purpose of life?

To do all of the things inanimate objects can’t.

To give meaning to the universe.

Any purpose you want.

………………..

Why does life exist?

Because it can. (see Murphy’s law)

…………………

What is the meaning of life?

Forty two.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Spidey wrote:
What is the purpose of life?

To do all of the things inanimate objects can’t.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
this really cheered me up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

To write "it's george bush's fault" or "it's obama's fault" on user comments sections of online newspapers even if it's a story about kittens. people are so goddamn clever sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Biologically? Perpetuate the species. Thats why us humans get horny all the time.
Thorne
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My view is that the purpose of life is to live. The real question is what is our responsibility in this life.

Ace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

To rule the seen world under the direction and authority of the risen Jesus Christ. Shoot me Razz
Thorne
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The Bible speaks of Christians ruling the nations with a rod of Iron, but that's in the context of God himself having established his kingdom on earth, I believe. No, that is not our present responsibility.

I was thinking more along the lines of our responsibility to be equitable to each other.

Miss Priss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Arrow
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

No, I wasn't speaking in that context Thorne, and I meant ultimately and collectively, not as subjects but as kinsmen. That's my view of Utopia anyways.
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm here to fuck as many bitches as I can.
B-
Cocked & Locked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

To do the will of God.

Ace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, or just live in a way that's not in direct opposition to it.
Spidey
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What I find interesting (amusing)…the question was asked “What is the purpose of life” and then most everyone including the OP answer the question only in regard to human beings.

We are not the only life, people…

Ego?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hey man, we got the tv's and nike running shoes. Razz
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

B- wrote:
To do the will of God.

Really? Which one?
I held the door open for a beautiful Somali mother and her child in a stroller today. She said 'thank you' and smiled. So genuine and pretty. I did it for all of you that are so afraid. I did it for that stupid fuck crank head in Montana that has never met anyone outside of a truckstop and can still condemn her culture from a ranch and an intanet connection.

The purpose of life is MESSAGEBOARDS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, Spidey, I guess we're too egotistical. We shouldn't pick on ants just because they don't know science and the arts. (Vertically challenged? Smile) Shame on us. Isn't it egotistical to say there is no God? Razz

Betty, your viewpoint violates the laws of physics. Smile

Adam, I asked the purpose of life, not the purpose of death. Get it write or pay the price (i.e. your life Smile)

woody, I tried asking a tree but it didn't tell me that there is no purpose. ^_~ Trees give us magical air. ^_~
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TheWhat, if I were to think there was a God, I'd choose the onethat presents himself.
B-
Cocked & Locked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quote:
Really? Which one?
I held the door open for a beautiful Somali mother and her child in a stroller today. She said 'thank you' and smiled. So genuine and pretty. I did it for all of you that are so afraid. I did it for that stupid fuck crank head in Montana that has never met anyone outside of a truckstop and can still condemn her culture from a ranch and an intanet connection.

Mathew 7:12
Mark 12:31

Nice work, Adam! Smile

[deleted]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

he mad, yo

Avder wrote:
Biologically? Perpetuate the species. Thats why us humans get horny all the time.

That isn't why. Razz That's just an excuse. Smile However, multiplication is important. Just ask my geometry teacher.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

B- wrote:
Mathew 7:12
Mark 12:31
Nice work, Adam! :)

Thank you. That's waaaayyy too much reading thou shall and shants and somehow it leads to automatic weapons. I love Jesus but his bench is weak. No inside presence and the back court is just air balls and half the the time they can't hit their free throws.

The meaning of life is dating divorced women, get them to fall for you, and then just cheat on them because you can throw the whole 50 people in the descent community into an uproar.

And it doesn't effect anything at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[a] There is no commandment greater than these.”

Don't discredit the value simply because I am a functioning illiterate and spelled Matthew incorrectly in the first post.

Insane!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:17 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

B- wrote:

which bible? its beautiful writing.
the only problem is since 1998 i've had videogame players with with pee marks in their fruit of the looms quote their bible version on descent messageboards. AND RAMROD IT! i kind of bypass them and read it myself and if i need interpretation go to, like a church. not some guy who shot me in d3, bang bang.
get real.
the meaning of life is filtering bill johnson and his good hard ways. who cares about you? or me? its blah blah blah.
go clean your gun we are afraid of muslim women in minneapolis when we have like THE MOST mega-heightened FBI presence and i choose to read you fools?

this is happening in my life, i aint thunderbunny. i express experience not theory. the meaning of life is doucherags on messageboards yahoo.

I'm a rappa. Go get that dunce from Montana to bake up crank and know nothing and say "good american values" and offer no evidence that he can back up.

That is the purpose of life.

*i have no idea what that means

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:47 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It doesn't appear to require interpretation. I think it's fairly self-explanatory if you read it.

It would be nice if you spoke to me in English rather than the usual cryptic attempt at appearing different. It would also be cool if you'd stop reducing who you think are adversaries to faceless, meaningless Descent 3 robots.
I don't know you, Adam... but, I think you're pretty much like me and everyone else who struggles with the idea that self isn't the most important.

Ponder for a moment the thought of being charged with fulfilling the requirements of the two above mentioned passages. If you're really out to be the person you require of everyone else in order to meet your approval, you would be able to fulfill all those requirements and more by following just one of the two.

[deleted]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You got the crypt part right....

Adam, if you can't handle religious humanoids from the Internet, you won't be able to handle the military boot crashing thru your door (and your center of mass) in three years. Consider it as training in patience. That's what it means to be considerate... consider the other human's perspective with your own... Razz

Tell Detective Carter I said hi... and tell him I want some fives with my "money order."

Confucius say: Even Skynet has a face... or was that John Connor...?
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:02 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I will quote the master, because if there is a "purpose" of life - this is it:

"A zygote is a gamete's way of producing more gametes. This may be the purpose of the universe" - R.A.H.

In an article in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, October 1984 edition, Dr. Tom Rainbow wrote an interesting article. One of his premises was that we are slaves, robots if you will, with the sole purpose of perpetuating the existence of a billion year old life form which we call "DNA". He goes on to discuss immortality, or the lack thereof, in that context. Very interesting stuff.

In reality - I think that my answer, while technically accurate in some ways, is less than responsive...

I believe that human life has no purpose beyond that with which we ourselves imbue it. Each individual makes a choice - whether to pursue their spiritual perfection, or to see to more earthy delights - or some measure of both. If I were to sum up what the purpose of life SHOULD be, however, I would say this:

Love without jealousy. Live without hate. Do no harm to others. Create beauty. Add to the sum total of joy - do not subtract from it. Work to end suffering without restricting the freedoms of others.

And if you believe in religion, don't think your religion allows you to violate the above with people who disagree with you or you don't get to go to the see the spirit in the sky.

Tough words to live by - talking the talk is easy but walking the walk? I fail daily.

Jess
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:55 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

"The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why, and Where phases. For instance, the first phase is characterized by the question 'How can we eat?' the second by the question 'Why do we eat?' and the third by the question 'Where shall we have lunch?"

Douglas Adams - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

You uncivilized buffoons. Razz
Jess
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:

Based on this view, what do you think a woman's purpose in life is?
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Based upon the given assumption, it is quite clear that a Woman's purpose is to fuck only men who will provide for & protect their females and children, and whose proven abilities reflect genetics which will engender superior offspring.

Duh.

Jess
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Very evolved. Smile
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:46 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ie. avoid Z like the plague -- leave him to the dogs. Mr. Green

Back on topic -- unfortunately nowadays there are a lot people around whose single purpose in life is to serve as a bad example to others.

Ace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Jess wrote:
Zuruck wrote:

Based on this view, what do you think a woman's purpose in life is?

To do whatever she wants. If that includes allowing me to plunge with my meat missile, then hooray. If it doesn't, that's fine with me as well. I guess I don't have the entire world figured out like you guys. Since we only go through this shit once, I plan on having a good time going through it.

Oh and Grendel, I never asked to be an example for you or anyone else. So yeah, never really cared too much for the opinion of keyboard cowboys roaming the instanet with their profound knowledge.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
Based upon the given assumption, it is quite clear that a Woman's purpose is to fuck only men who will provide for & protect their females and children, and whose proven abilities reflect genetics which will engender superior offspring.

Duh.

Very nice.

I can't wait to be alone until my urn. That way I won't have to watch television shows, give a fuck about her mother, and watch the vast pool of cellulite multiply when I could've just fucked some idiot "on the street corner" instead.

Quote:
Ecclesiastes 1
(New International Version, ©2011) <--- never heard of that one lololol

Everything Is Meaningless
1 The words of the Teacher,[a] son of David, king in Jerusalem:

2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”

3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

There, Ya happy? Bible quotes.
I thought they cut that out of some bibles because it was too depressing? Happy happy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The keyboard cowboy roaming the instanet with profound knowledge wrote:
Oh and Grendel, I never asked to be an example for you or anyone else. So yeah, never really cared too much for the opinion of keyboard cowboys roaming the instanet with their profound knowledge.

Now me, if I didn't care, I'd be elsewhere doing something I did care for. Call me crazy - you can do whatever you want...I'm just trying to help - I mean, since we only go through this shit once and all.

Wink

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic