Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > The DBB Gallery > Some class projects Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

This is a little photoshop exercise we did last month. It's my kiddo as a Sith Lord. He says "Daddy I mean jedi" lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

This is a conceptual redesigned book cover for classic novel and typesetting example from the book. I love book design.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The cover reminds me of a Kindle cover.
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:
The cover reminds me of a Kindle cover.

Thanks?

What ya think of the text? Too many rivers? Too small of a bottom margin?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

This is the sample page from my type specimen book of the font I created. It's basically my handwriting with a few mods for continuity sake, and aesthetics.
The font is titled HammerSmashedFace. If you'd like a copy of the ttf file you can have one. Just let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo wrote:

This is the sample page from my type specimen book of the font I created. It's basically my handwriting with a few mods for continuity sake, and aesthetics.

Awesome. Evil enough without being that of a serial killer. Smile
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:55 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just the way you like it eh? Quasi-evil. semi-evil. The margarine of evil. The Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough.

Whoops got carried away there Wink Nice stuff Ewwic. The text looks a little weird to me though. I didn't see any offensive rivers, but there is a lot of blank space at the end of sentences on the first page. I also prefer a smaller font too, so I don't have to turn the page quite so often. (I read fast).

Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:17 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
but there is a lot of blank space at the end of sentences on the first page. I also prefer a smaller font too, so I don't have to turn the page quite so often. (I read fast).

The spaces are due to the dialogue. So many new paragraphs....bleh.

I agree on the point size. My professor even suggested making it bigger, I said NO way! This here ain't no kid's book I says. I too like a smallish type for ease of reading.

If it is offered next year, I will be taking book design for an elective. One of my professors just bought several old letterpresses so my Type and Image class should be a lot more fun next semester.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
but there is a lot of blank space at the end of sentences on the first page. I also prefer a smaller font too, so I don't have to turn the page quite so often. (I read fast).

The spaces are due to the dialogue. So many new paragraphs....bleh.

I agree on the point size. My professor even suggested making it bigger, I said NO way! This here ain't no kid's book I says. I too like a smallish type for ease of reading.

If it is offered next year, I will be taking book design for an elective. One of my professors just bought several old letterpresses so my Type and Image class should be a lot more fun next semester.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
The Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough.

Did you see the outline of the type color? If so, you are the first person in about 30 to actually see the image created by the type. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo wrote:

The font is titled HammerSmashedFace. If you'd like a copy of the ttf file you can have one. Just let me know.

Wow, looks very similar to my every-day handwriting (the caps at least, I print in caps.) What pen did you use ?

Ace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Wow, looks very similar to my every-day handwriting (the caps at least, I print in caps.) What pen did you use ?

My handwriting is almost entirely printing, but not all caps. I'll upload the whole type specimen book and you can see it in an application. Some of my letters connect and some don't which made the digitization of it nearly impossible. I think it worked out well though.

I used a rapidiograph .05 pen for the initial. I believe it scanned well enough. I tried to use a 6B pencil at first, but it didn't scan well enough, too shiny.

My copy of Typetool is on loan from the university on a shared license so I have to return it at the end of the semester unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I used Rapidographs (.35) back in the day, that's how I picked up printing in caps. (Got into contact w/ them when learning technical drawing.) I just switched back to fountain pens (after 13 years of using a Sensa pen), forgot how easy writing can be Smile I'm digging around the net for penmanship info, hence my interest in your sample.

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:26 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I saw the figure outlined by your text, though I confess I completely dismissed it. I was just quoting austin powers movies.

I also didn't see any color outlines?

Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:50 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
I saw the figure outlined by your text, though I confess I completely dismissed it. I was just quoting austin powers movies.

I also didn't see any color outlines?

Sorry. Typecolor refers to the overall gray of the text. Basically unfocus your eyes and look at a text block. Silly typographer's term, typecolor should mean "color" dammit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:07 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cool

Ace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:24 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Helvetica 3 the futura wars...LOL.

Is it sad that I've seen Helvetica twice?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:58 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yes.

yes it is.

Jess
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:03 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It gets worse... he talks typography in his sleep.
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hush you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Razz Telling me to hush doesn't make it less true!
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I always knew you were a Sith. ^_~ Nice artwork, human.

[edit] I sense your child is a Jedi. ^_~
Not because of what he said (or didn't say), but because of the Light Side. ^_~
View previous topic :: View next topic