Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Multiplayer > Relating to the Reality of the future of this Community Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So it's about time this issue was addressed since no one seems interested in bringing it up, at least, not in the 6 yrs. I've been playing.
heh, I still recall those first days...pretty interesting to say the least...the whole environment was just so alien to me, I might as well have been on Mars.
I remember being so caught up with the [RIP] Team, they were all very helpful back then...I followed them everywhere I saw them...and they were quite popular so it led to many, many good times as well as many learning experiences that I still use in my tactics arsenal to this day. [RIP] then introduced me to the [NuB] Team, where I joined and was breast fed in Stadium...oh nOEs! tEEtH! Very Happy Of course, as most of you know, it was at the end of this stage that I transformed my character from max kragen to the willkill pilot. Then, along comes Behemoth and Team [FEAR]....wow, I was very flattered when this awesome pilot felt I had the potential to hang with him, you know, in a team effort. So, after many spankings from Beh' I started to return the favor, though still not quite up to par with his level of gameplay. Still, great times were had and a good (although geographically
distant) friend was made.

Anyway, the the thing I remember most though...the one lesson that stuck like peanut butter and white bread 2 the roof of my mouth...was simply, "have fun".

My point is, We all know how high the learning curve is on this game yet new pilots are fairly discouraged when killed again and again by over zealous pilots who don't know how to simply have a good time and still allow room for growth ....those totally unnecessary, brutal spawn kills send so many new players packing b4 they get a chance to learn the game. I'm personally sick of seeing the blatant disregard for the future of this community by pilots who would rather selfishly hone their own stats at the expense of community growth. I would also like to personally extend to those biGHEaD pilots a very personalized, modded and fully upgraded, "FCK YOU!" To quote my wise father, (and I'm sure a variety of others) "Ur screwin the pooch, son!"...get off ur highhorse and enjoy the GAME! Don't try to use it as ur own personal fck tool or u may soon find ur self playing the same SP missions over and over again BECAUSE U RAN EVERYBODY OFF! It's not RL competition, it's-just-a-fkn-GAME!

And I doubt they will but I hope no one will try to deny this is happening...I've been under alias in obs (on and off) for better than a month now just watching some of these unmentionable characters and their spawn killing ways....and if the defense of "well you spawn with blues and concs" comes into play, I will have to defer to Bunyip. Very Happy But seriously, don't try to use the excuse "he/she came after me" because if ur still hangin out in that spot when they respawn, it means ur lookin for a spawn kill...end of subject.
And I do understand that pilots will come after you...but u should be skilled enuff to get away, so, exactly what are you trying to prove? That your a man? Well, you come off looking like an ass and a coward while spawn killing someone with little to no experience and you give this game a bad name across the internet, where word travels very fast...and that's the way it is.

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

too much tequila tonight?
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I love grilled newbies, especially when you season them with the tears of one trick crutch users.

When I was still playing, if someone spawned in front of me, I would wait 3 seconds for the INVULNERABILITY to wear off and then start shooting at them. If they ran from me, I would chase them. If they charged at me, I would confront them. If they complained about it, I would do it again.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Ferno
BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

WK, it's a mistake to think every player and/or game out there should be "pilots helping each other to improve the community".

Sure... sometimes you come across people out there willing to do some training and mentoring for beginners. Sometimes you encounter the group of non-competitive-minded regulars who hang out in levels with lots of secondaries just to have fun. Those guys will defer to newly spawned players, and happily share their knowledge, and that's fine.

However... if you get in a competitive game with competitive pilots, expect them to give you no mercy, whether you're fully armed or just spawned. Deal with it, and give it back as best you can. Those guys are in it to kill you, and you should never expect them to give you any quarter.

In fact, at your level of play, if you want to train/learn/improve, the best way is not the nice guys. The BEST way is to throw yourself to the wolves, and learn to hunt with the pack.

Insane!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

There's like 15 people who play. There is no such thing as a spawn kill. The descent community will never be what it once was; none of these jokers actually play. They are too busy typing about the great American taxpayerís dollars, starting revolutions from their computers, and trying to debate the existence of god by using bible quotes.

Fuck spawn killing in its ass; Vlider and Tomcatt used to actually get frustrated if I didnít kill as soon as I hit the spacebar. Get a drink and shoot fake lasers with the same people in the same level and be happy about it. Because it ain't coming back.

Sad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:49 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TheWhat wrote:
Vlider and Tomcatt used to actually get frustrated if I didnít kill as soon as I hit the spacebar

Word.

If I'm freshly spawned and somebody passes me by, they've just disrespected me. They've just announced that they don't think I'm a threat with blues and concs. I usually respond by hurting or killing them with my blues and concs.

(Exception: it's not disrespect if you fly past me trying to get to my flag.)
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:01 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

nothing "real" to me about the brotherhood of bros on any level whatever

I only listen to the people who aren't drunk on their kool-aid

If you integrate everything from the 4 years of Adam's daily rants into a small set of lines you get the bro code:

Code:

There are 15 lasermasters who play descent 3
each one has 1,000 fake names
they shoot each other with fake lasers
they are hillbilly deconstruction workers who eat burgers and talk about food
they are all married to julie who only has a few teeth
they are proud to be american
they prove the eXistenZ of God with bible quotes
they are the armchair politicians of the satanic cult of Christianity

bro, bro, bro, bro... funny, right?
Anyone starting to see the picture here? Or maybe I'm just mixed up.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:02 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Adam is a hipster who scorns everything you don't (for values of "you" which do not equal "him"). So yeah you're missing the point.

Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quote:
don't expect them to give you no mercy

Yeah Descent is meant to be ruthless. When I started on Kali about 5 years ago, I got my ass handed to me every game. Spawn killed repeatedly, pushed up in a corner with gauss, and a knotted head from all that D1 fusion. All that did was to strengthen my resolve. Now, I spawn kill repeatedly, pin people against the walls with gauss and actually knot a few heads with fusion. I love the game >: ).
Oh yeah, all you D3 exclusive players are a bunch of sissies. REAL descent pilots play all 3. So, you think your a killer? Put down your tri-fusion, napalm and all the other instant kill weapons, lets play some D1 and I'll hunt your ass down and kill you like a curr dog Smile.
LotharBot
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
REAL descent pilots play all 3.

Descent 1 is an awesome game. Descent 3 is OK I guess. I didn't know there was a third game though.

* For those of you who have trouble with sarcasm: Descent 2 is a terrible game and I refuse to treat it like a full member of the Descent franchise.
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

kool-aid mouth

I don't "agree" with ranting for 5 years straight, that's for sure
Avder
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:22 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Descent 2 singleplayer is fine. Descent 2 multiplayer is like swimming in molasses.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
If you integrate everything from the 4 years of Adam's daily rants into a small set of lines you get the bro code:

Code:

lol awesome. =)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:28 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sorry. Even though D1 trumps them all, D2 is superior in all respects to D3. D2 seemed like a natural progression of the game. D3 is dumbed down.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flip wrote:
Sorry. Even though D1 trumps them all, D2 is superior in all respects to D3. D2 seemed like a natural progression of the game. D3 is dumbed down.

Sorry.

IMHO, if D3 was "dumbed down", D2 was "over-hyped unbalanced fluff thrown together by marketers on meth".

...But it had great music. Razz

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:15 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I actually LIKED D2, D1 was great in it's day, and I don't think saying D3 was dumbed down is fair... It was streamlined, yes - and boat-friendly yes, but that's what server settings are for.

Edit: To be fair, never played d1/d2 online until after playing d3 - although I did LAN D1 a bunch with some friends in San Jose.

LotharBot
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here's how it is (so eloquently put by deimos):

D1 = chess. Beautiful. D2 = checkers. Limited and weak. D3 = Hungry hungry hippos. Frantic.
LvlSevenBoss
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

LotharBot wrote:
Here's how it is (so eloquently put by deimos):

D1 = chess. Beautiful. D2 = checkers. Limited and weak. D3 = Hungry hungry hippos. Frantic.

Heh! I love it.

Ace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:56 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Heh, no arguing with that.
Fiend
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I feel like a HungryHippo sometimes.

I think it makes sense to skip newbs when they spawn...
let them get some weps - then get a reward of secondaries, at the least they are moving bait and u get a 2fer while somone is trying to exclusively newbkill. Sometimes they nab a kill that would've been a death if I spawnkilled em. heh sometimes the kill they nab is me!

Sometimes I just don't shoot at the super-newb and hover in front of em while dodging... it usually ends with me being side-swiped tho. Or I just use blues.

I like all 3 descent versions. I just installed d1 + d2 last week and am playing them online as well as d3.
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quote:
I like all 3 descent versions. I just installed d1 + d2 last week and am playing them online as well as d3.

I don't want to make it sound like I hate D3. If I can't find a D1 or D2 game, I'll find some D3 goin and thoroughly enjoy the hell out of it.
Money!
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Will, I'm with you on what you're saying. Everyone else here (who has already put the time in) can say they had the perseverance to make it through that beginner phase to get to where they are today. But in today's gaming scene, people expect to be relatively good at a game the second they pick it up. This isn't the case with Descent - and it's quite easy to get deterred. It's real easy for an experienced player to pass over a spawn kill of a newbie - just as it's real easy for a newbie to get frustrated after dying a few times in a row without knowing what hit them and decide this game isn't for them.

Considering the lack of players seen in D3's servers these days, those who are more experienced might as well make a few concessions to help foster what little new talent there is coming in. Not that I'm any good, but I for one will try to avoid going too hard on newbies in game. Good stuff Will

damn you.
Flip
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah I get that. I often find myself when faced against a weaker opponent just tossing errant homers and fusion shots and laughing like hell Smile. After awhile they get the idea to slow down and at the same time they get some flight time Wink. At the same time, any noob that comes into this community and flys against 10 year veterans better get his dancing shoes on. That's the nature of this game. I feel like learning how to evade a spawn kill and safely recover spew are basic skills needed to survive in a real match. I'm still no where near top status, but I feel all those spawn kills made me a better pilot and a little smarter too Wink.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:37 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Money! wrote:
in today's gaming scene, people expect to be relatively good at a game the second they pick it up.

100% with you there. When I go 55 & 10 in Black Ops, a game I've been playing casually for a couple months, there's no real sense of accomplishment. Of course that's probably because HalfCounterBattleLifeCallStrikeField2ofDutyMcQuakeDoom71 is pretty much the same highly linear mostly two-dimensional game with incrementally increasing eye candy... A similar score in Hungry Hungry Hippos, however, felt like I'd done some work Smile

Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I can go from a complete newbie to very competent in most FPS games after 15 minutes in the game without reading the manual.

The most recent case was the free weekend of Shattered Horizons on Steam, at the suggestion of a friend I loaded the game and hopped in with them. I hit F1 and looked at the control layout for about 10 seconds, then started playing.

5 minutes in, I had died a couple times, killed once.
10 minutes in, I was at about 60% efficiency.
I was holding my own before I even knew how to switch weapons (could only change what weapon you were going to use while spawning)...
15 minutes in, I was dominating almost everyone in the game and getting these retarded "promotions" left and right.

The game threw out so many ranks and bonuses that were all completely meaningless brownie points that I could have vomited. Just dumb crap to try and keep people playing longer because they gameplay itself wasn't good enough. You even got promoted from just getting ONE KILL. By the time I had wrapped up playing D3, I probably had a quarter of a million kills. "Oh he got another kill, better give him a PROMOTION and then broadcast it to the entire server!"... It just felt so artificial, it broke the immersion and everything. At least in D3 when it had ranks, it took more than 10 seconds to get from Cadet to Ensign or whatever the ranks were.

I never did use all the functions/stealth mode/etc in that Shattered Horizons game... I walked away from it with the conclusion: modern gamers are a bunch of pathetic impatient whiny pussies that demand instant gratification.

Granted even descent players have degenerated to some extent, See: Skybox, Subway Dancer, Dwnundr's and other boater levels.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TheWhat wrote:
Neo wrote:

Code:

lol awesome. =)

Of course it is. Smile See, I know what I'm doing. ^_~

But seriously, folks... it smells like there's this herd mentality of superiority with descent players, no matter which version they play. I think it's worse in d3 than ever. It's the idea that Descent is "harder" than any other shooter, so that means the good pilots are "better" than people who like "groundpounders" ...and somehow it snowballs into what it is now.
Fiend
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Money! wrote:
Will, I'm with you on what you're saying. Everyone else here (who has already put the time in) can say they had the perseverance to make it through that beginner phase to get to where they are today. But in today's gaming scene, people expect to be relatively good at a game the second they pick it up. This isn't the case with Descent - and it's quite easy to get deterred. It's real easy for an experienced player to pass over a spawn kill of a newbie - just as it's real easy for a newbie to get frustrated after dying a few times in a row without knowing what hit them and decide this game isn't for them.

Considering the lack of players seen in D3's servers these days, those who are more experienced might as well make a few concessions to help foster what little new talent there is coming in. Not that I'm any good, but I for one will try to avoid going too hard on newbies in game. Good stuff Will

well said Money!

Krom's post reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-r7STsAAgw
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
But seriously, folks... it smells like there's this herd mentality of superiority with descent players, no matter which version they play. I think it's worse in d3 than ever. It's the idea that Descent is "harder" than any other shooter, so that means the good pilots are "better" than people who like "groundpounders" ...and somehow it snowballs into what it is now.

That's wrong.
I'm not even that good at the only videogame I play. I prefer other things like the multiple Joolie's and bad guitar playing and vocals over playing every new title some 11 year olds will pwnz me at.
Not everyone is a gamer. It doesn't mean they don't like games. Who cares?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

um Neo wrote it...
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Looks like all that "fiending" you did obliterated whatever semblance of a mind you had left.

TheWhat wrote:
Neo wrote:

That's wrong.
I'm not even that good at the only videogame I play. I prefer other things like the multiple Joolie's and bad guitar playing and vocals over playing every new title some 11 year olds will pwnz me at.
Not everyone is a gamer. It doesn't mean they don't like games. Who cares?

My post wasn't directed at "everyone," it was directed to certain gamers. When I post in the multiplayer forum, I only talk to gamers, not to bb whores and trolls. Zip your pants back up now.
Fiend
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

ok i am a verb now?
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
When I post in the multiplayer forum, I only talk to gamers, not to bb whores and trolls. Zip your pants back up now.

All about TheWhat
Total posts: 1142
[1.86% of total / 0.86 posts per day]

0.86 looks more like a result of a breathalyzer test not a posts per day number of a bb whore and troll. why are you chirping on me anyways? Can't you find some xbox squad leader or community elder to fuck wit? ahh who cares a week from now you'll edit your post to say "cool story bro" anyway you coward.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Fiend wrote:
ok i am a verb now?

Big Daddy Fiend, you so full of action your name should be a verb!

TheWhat wrote:
0.86 looks more like a result of a breathalyzer test not a posts per day number of a bb whore and troll.

Actually... 0.86 has no bearing on whether you're a Troll. And you, Sir, are a Troll. Of course we all trolls sometimes. You just happen to be fairly consistent. He's got you there. Neo is also a troll however. Not sure if it's intentional though. Unlike you. Razz

I troll too at times. See the previous paragraph for an example. Just because it's true doesn't mean it's not also trolling Wink

TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:17 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
Actually... 0.86 has no bearing on whether you're a Troll. And you, Sir, are a Troll. Of course we all trolls sometimes. You just happen to be fairly consistent. He's got you there. Neo is also a troll however. Not sure if it's intentional though. Unlike you. :P

Fair.
I guess I'm just not an on topic sorta guy. Also, 0.86 would be death.