Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > Video Container/Video codec/Audio Codec Preferences? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snoopy
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So, what are your favorites, particularly for HD video without massive file sizes.
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

To sum up what was in the .net thread before the DNS died:

Matroska or mp4 for the container
h.264 / avc or vp8 for the video
AAC or Vorbis for the audio (or direct stream rips of the ac3/dts if its a dvd/bluray source).

What are you going to be playing these videos back on and what sort of source are you getting them from? Is it just for PC for playback or are you thinking about a media extender / game console / streamer box to play it on the TV?

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
snoopy
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Playback will be from the PC, onto a TV and the audio will go out to a AV box and 5.1 speakers.

thx for the feedback.
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Matroska + x264 + AAC will probably be best for you then, however it will probably require a 6 channel analog connection to the amp. If you can get the original ac3 or dts you could plug the computer into the amp through a spdif/toslink and just have your media player pass the audio directly through for the full 5.1/6.1. Otherwise spdif/toslink is only 2.0 PCM and if you try it with 6-8 channel AAC (or FLAC) which nothing can bitstream it'll just drop the extra channels.

I have my own PC connected to a Yamaha amp through an optical spdif cable. I have to set windows to output stereo even though its a 5.1 system because of the spdif/PCM limit, otherwise if I am playing a 5.1 AAC file it just drops every other channel except for left and right (so center, left & right surrounds and sub all go silent). However, if I'm playing something that has ac3 or dts audio it gets passed straight through without decoding and all 5.1 channels work perfectly.

Naturally this doesn't matter at all for anything that only has stereo at the source (like most television shows) and in that case AAC is probably the best option.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
snoopy
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cool, thx.

I'll have to figure out the output channels part in linux, but that's fine.

I'm experimenting with a h.264/AAC output now.
View previous topic :: View next topic