Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > School Board Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Alright, so aside from Ferno's asinine idea that an entirely armed school board is the best solution, what could have been done to prevent this guy from doing what he did? Anything? I don't think there is anything that can be done; I've been saying for awhile now that given the current gun culture in this country, all we can do is sit back and realize that these types of incidents are something that we all have to live with. Same goes for the Columbine incident, or the Virginia Tech incident. It's just the way it is.
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
Jesus MD, this is two topics in a row that you're late to the party and completely clueless. Read the posts big guy, we've already established that a test for mental stability is impossible. Ease up off the dope man

Well excuse me for having a social life, outside of visiting a forum that barely gets any traffic these days. Yeah, I'm "late to the party", but my points are still valid. Instead of answering them like an adult, and having a civil conversation, you act like a child with the pitiful attempts to dodge. Nice job.
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:23 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dude it's not a dodge, the questions you asked were answered long time before you posed them again. Should I answer them a second time just to satisfy you?
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

MD-2389 wrote:
Well excuse me for having a social life, outside of visiting a forum that barely gets any traffic these days.

WTF noob. Visiting forums on personal time is a violation of the slacker's code. Get a job.

Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Your chobs don't make you silly humans any greater. Razz Neither does being a clone of Strickland. Razz

Zuruck wrote:
Dude it's not a dodge, the questions you asked were answered long time before you posed them again. Should I answer them a second time just to satisfy you?

Yeah, you should at least read and understand what people say before putting them down. Razz
Ferno
BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yeah i'm sure it's real asinine until you suddenly find yourself in that kind of a situation.

You haven't seen the pattern here Zuruck? a policy is put in place declaring a building or campus is a gun free zone and someone walks in with a gun and has complete and total power over everyone who is in the building.

you call what I put forth asinine and yet, you put forth an absolutely terrifying notion that we have to live with incidents like these.

we can't just sit back and let someone like that take control over anyone. The solution is the ability to defend yourself in that kind of a situation before it gets out of hand.

So please Zuruck. tell us exactly how asinine it is to have the chance to survive this kind of incident.
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

In a sad way, the events of this weekend open this up for some more debate. Nope, I'm not going to go knee-jerk and start calling for gun control, but what, if anything, could be done to keep guns out of the hands of these crazy people? There are reasonable people in this world, but clearly this young guy was not on that boat. Whatever was going on in his head pushed him to this kind of action.

Oh and Ferno, if you're just going to say everyone including the congresswoman should have been armed why don't you just spare the internet that 3 kb of space.
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:00 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

There are things millions of times more likely to kill you then some guy loosing his mind and shooting into the crowd/podium at some political event. It is not the governments job to remove every single possible risk to citizens safety in the entire universe. Sure the government regulates a lot of safety in places where the citizens have little or no control, like workplace safety because otherwise companies would exploit workers and ignore their safety in order to make more profits (which has happened in the past, and continues to happen in places like China today). But if you require the government to keep everything safe then there is no end to the loss of freedoms / invasive government inspections that you will suffer as a result.

The whole concept of looking to the government to ensure you are safe from all threats at all times is ridiculous in the first place. If you look at the automobile industry and the regulations there, cars are much safer than they used to be but it hasn't significantly reduced the number of crashes or deaths on the road. People tend to "use up" all the safety margins they are given. Basically the safer the government/industry tries to make something, the more reckless people will be with/around it.

If you want to prevent a shooting like this from happening again, next time you are at a political gathering and the person next to you pulls a gun and points it at the podium, grab his arm and throw him and the gun to the ground before he can shoot.

So in other words Zuruck; Quit looking for big brother to hold your hand and take responsibility for your own safety for a change.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ummm...what are you talking about?

Did Rep Giffords not have a reasonable expectation of safety?

Quote:
If you want to prevent a shooting like this from happening again, next time you are at a political gathering and the person next to you pulls a gun and points it at the podium, grab his arm and throw him and the gun to the ground before he can shoot.

Is this really the world you live in? Everything is this easy from your keyboard eh? Grow up krom...the earth doesn't work in a linear world of warcraft way brah.
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:26 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Do you think the president rides around in a bullet resistant motorcade surrounded by secret service agents because it keeps him from catching a cold?

What exactly is a reasonable expectation of safety for a major politician from a particularly polarizing and disliked branch of government going to an open and difficult to secure public space?

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:33 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My guess of a reasonable expectation of safety for a congresswoman is not being shot in the head by what appears to be schizophrenic that legally bought a gun. That'd be my take on it.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
My guess of a reasonable expectation of safety for a congresswoman is not being shot in the head by what appears to be schizophrenic that legally bought a gun.

Something tells me that if he wouldn't have been able to buy the gun legally he would have obtained it illegally. History shows that your expectation is not very reasonable. Altho IMO you could reduce the probability for a member of congress to be shot by creating a less hatefull/aggressive political environment.

BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

hey zuruck. i asked you a question.

Quote:
tell us exactly how asinine it is to have the chance to survive this kind of incident.

you gonna answer it or you just going to blow it off like a seven year old?
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It's a shit question Ferno, why even bother answering it? I'm trying to have a dialogue on how to prevent these types of things from happening. Because your mind is unable to think in a critical fashion, do us a favor and quit posting this continuous drivel that is simply boring to look at.

Grendel, I suppose you're right. I know that it's not reasonable to expect an elected official to be able to go out in public and meet their constituents without having to wear a flak jacket or have multiple perimeters of security. I know the world that I envision is not going to happen; there are hundreds of millions of guns in our society, but it's just sad to have to watch these events every so often just so a portion of society can overcompensate for their own miserable lives. (i.e. buy a gun)

edit: On a side note, how awesome is it to see Tom Delay get three years in the clink?!?
Ferno
BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
It's a shit question Ferno, why even bother answering it? I'm trying to have a dialogue on how to--

not good enough.

If you're looking for a dialogue on how to prevent things like this from happening, you won't find it here. Law upon law has passed to try and prevent this sort of thing happening and it hasn't worked.

the fact is, you can't prevent everyone from doing this sort of thing, no matter how many punishments you hand out. someone, somewhere will find a way though. It's been demonstrated time and time again. Deny it all you want, your quest is going to end in disappointment.

and my question still stands.
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

always happy to disappoint a hoser
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:50 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just exactly how much should we give up to prevent something like this from happening? This stuff makes the news as some great tragedy because it is an extremely rare event that hardly ever happens.

What is next? Making it illegal to be anywhere but inside a carefully shielded and grounded metal cage because you might get struck by lightning otherwise? No swimming in the ocean because you could get bitten by a shark? Quit wasting my tax dollars trying to protect people from pointless random shit.

Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:50 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
On a side note, how awesome is it to see Tom Delay get three years in the clink?!?

Bah. Better than nothing, but he's still more equal than us.

KATU wrote:
DeLay was immediately taken into custody, but Priest granted a request from his attorneys that he be released on a $10,000 bond pending appeal once he is processed at the county jail. Prosecutors said it could mean DeLay will be free for months or even years as his appeal makes it through the Texas court system.

BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quote:
ust so a portion of society can overcompensate for their own miserable lives.

mm yes, i'm sure anyone who buys a gun has a real miserable life.

"man commits suicide by firing on himself, his neighbors tell us that he was a loner who was going through divorce, bankruptcy and was diagnosed with cancer. police found a large safe filled with rifles and handguns."
B-
Cocked & Locked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quote:
Altho IMO you could reduce the probability for a member of congress to be shot by creating a less hatefull/aggressive political environment.

^^ This.

22.5 x15 x1.6= FF-1.6 Wink

Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well obviously B that is what everyone would like. But given the fact that people disagree on so many issues, there is nothing that the government could do that would make everyone happy at the same time. Of the few rantings that this shooter had, it seems clear that he was just plain crazy. I don't think it was so much that Giffords was a Democrat, I think it was just that she worked for the government. The second round of football playoffs starts soon, I'm sure this will all be done and forgotten during the next news cycle. I just wish the guy would have targeted someone actually worth a bullet, perhaps Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin. He would have done us all a big favor.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

B- wrote:
22.5 x15 x1.6= FF-1.6 Wink

(22.5x1.6)x(15x1.6)=22.5x15x1.6^2=338x2.56

--> 8.2x2.56 = 21 and 10.1x2.56 = 26 Also, 8.2x1.3^2 = 13.9 ! ;P

Ace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bulletproof glass Smile
Woodchip
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
I just wish the guy would have targeted someone actually worth a bullet, perhaps Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin. He would have done us all a big favor.

Congrats Zuruck, you have now shown the liberal dichotomy. While it is terrible to make threatening statements against liberals, it is quite alright to threaten conservatives. To paraphrase Pogo, "We have met the enemy and it is you"
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:56 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nope. Don't cherry pick, no where in my posts did I say that Palin and Beck were responsible for this guy. I'm merely saying that Gabrielle Giffords has not done any of the damage on this society that Palin and Beck have and that the proper target should have been their dumb ass maws. The kid was mentally disturbed and was going to act out against any government, Giffords just happened to be from his district.

And if you compare me to Beck or Palin, then you're a fucking idiot. I don't have a daytime TV show where I talk about the destruction of our country if "something isn't done" to millions of people. Nor do I tell countless millions to reload and prepare for second amendment solutions. That Loughner kid was probably not listening to anyone, but if he was, he sure as well would be listening to one of them over me. So spare us with the fucking garbage that Palin is being unfairly targeted. I know you want to blow her but get real. What I say is a lot different that what leaders of a national political party say. But I can't imagine logic works for you woodchip...I mean you did go out and vote for McCain / Palin and you weren't even drunk or high.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'd have voted for McCain if Palin wasn't on the ticket. Who the fuck thought that one up? All the Tina Fey BS aside, she's a scary lady to have potential access to "the button" unless you are into the whole end times rapture me now thing... If she's ever elected I'm going start considering a move to Oceania.. or perhaps Tierra Del Fuego (gonna have to brush up on my Espanish for that one).

If you're not scared of Palin you're not paying attention. We'd be safer if Obama really was the Diabolical Moslem/Communist mole he's been accused of being. Well, we'd be alive anyway as long as we prayed in the right direction at the prescribed times...In'sh'allah!

Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:43 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think most people respected McCain a lot before that. I think he was very upset that he lagged in the polls, here is the perfect candidate for President. White, honorable military vet (obviously couldnt fly worth a damn), lifetime politician, but he's getting beat by the young black man. So he panics and allows himself to be hijacked. Sad for him, but I think McCain / Lieberman might have won it all. Instead of doing what was best for the entire country, he targeted the sexually frustrated portion of society (woodchip for example) and went after them. To think that Sarah Palin offers anything other than a decent photo to jerk off to is baffling.
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yup, I would have likely voted for McCain if he hadn't picked Palin as the VP, after that I couldn't bring myself to trust his judgment anymore.

Spidey
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What’s this idea that Palin is attractive…so not!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well spidey, woodchip sure as hell aint attracted to her sharp wit!!
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

regarding McCain's political coupling with Palin.
To me it was all suggestive that THIS was the time in the election (in every election) when the candidates inevitably took a step back and their respective parties took over everything.

It was the time when the candidates became nothing but a figurehead of the real powerbreakers: the party machines.
I'm not sure McCain really had a say in the matter, it's a deal with the devil. You get the boons that the party offers (electability in a 2 party system), but have to tow the line.

McCain seemed interesting.
But the Republican party's social agenda* terrifies me.
Ultimately i don't care about the economics, left/right don't matter much to me compared to the social agendas inevitably attached.

(*i don't mean "agenda" in a bad way, without agendas politics does not even exist.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:03 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:

And if you compare me to Beck or Palin, then you're a fucking idiot. I don't have a daytime TV show where I talk about the destruction of our country if "something isn't done" to millions of people. Nor do I tell countless millions to reload and prepare for second amendment solutions. That Loughner kid was probably not listening to anyone, but if he was, he sure as well would be listening to one of them over me. So spare us with the fucking garbage that Palin is being unfairly targeted. I know you want to blow her but get real. What I say is a lot different that what leaders of a national political party say. But I can't imagine logic works for you woodchip...I mean you did go out and vote for McCain / Palin and you weren't even drunk or high.

Last time I checked, Palin or Beck haven't wished any harm to any particular person. Nor do they have the power to enact or enforce any law, yet you have a death wish for them and not for people like Olbermann, Klugman, Mattews who obviously affect how you think. You also do not have a death wish for Pelosi, Reed or Obama all who are/were steering us into ruin. In short you seem to be another mind stunted crazie who has listened to the liberal manifesto for so long you no longer have the ability to form a cogent thought.

BTW, you don't happen to have a hidden skull shrine someplace where you perform auto-erotic methods with the skulls eye sockets?
Woodchip
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

roid wrote:
regarding McCain's political coupling with Palin.
To me it was all suggestive that THIS was the time in the election (in every election) when the candidates inevitably took a step back and their respective parties took over everything.

It was the time when the candidates became nothing but a figurehead of the real powerbreakers: the party machines.
I'm not sure McCain really had a say in the matter, it's a deal with the devil. You get the boons that the party offers (electability in a 2 party system), but have to tow the line.

McCain seemed interesting.
But the Republican party's social agenda* terrifies me.
Ultimately i don't care about the economics, left/right don't matter much to me compared to the social agendas inevitably attached.

(*i don't mean "agenda" in a bad way, without agendas politics does not even exist.)

Prior to choosing Palin, McCain was lagging in the polls the conservative base viewed McCain with a jaundiced eye with McCains left leaning endorsements such as the McCain Feingold bill. If you had paid attention during the primaries, you would of notice how the leftist press was pro McCain and wrote nice things about him. As soon as he won the primaries, mainstream news turned their collective backs on him and thus the sag in support as shown in the polling reports.

Say what you want about Palin, but recognize she was the only reason McCain saw a surge in support from the conservatives and it was his inability to mobilize that support that led to McCains defeat. All the hate and negativity I see from the left towards Palin is based purely on fear she may actually run for and win the presidency in 2012. All the incessant belittling and fear mongering may in fact backfire. Reagan underwent similar tactics and yet won in a landslide. I hope Palin runs and wins the top job, if only to see how much more of a gibbering idiot Zuruck turns into.
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Woodchip, if you guys want to see Obama for a second term, the by all means nominate Palin to run. She's simply not electable in a general election. Even guys on your side say that. She has the feverish support of people like you who think she is some sort of magical being, but beyond that no one really likes her.

A slight hijack, but I'm curious. What exactly were Pelosi, Reid, and Obama doing to steer us into ruin? I hear this shit all the time from your side, but never really get an answer.

Oh and please dude, this is .com. You can say skull-fuck Smile
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I am FAR from the Left. I'm extremely fiscally conservative, and while I'm socially on the more moderate side, I certainly don't believe that spending and entitlements is the answer to the ills of the world. I usually vote Republican despite my distaste for the bible-thumping which has become inherent in that side of politics.

However:

Bunyip wrote:
If you're not scared of Palin you're not paying attention.

Unlike with certain non-Moslem, natural-born American citizens, the evidence is right there - not manufactured from what might (with extreme charity) be called molehills.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic