Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Photo advice please. Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I've got to reproduce some elements from a magazine ad in print. Scanning is obviously not an option because of moire. My thoughts were to tape this ad to a wall and shoot it with my camera on a tripod.

Questions:

Best way to light it?

Best settings on my Nikon P80?

Any other advice would be helpful. I know it's a half-assed way of doing it, but I have no choice.

Thanks...
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The key is to have the camera absolutely perpendicular to to the ad after putting it flat against the wall. Stick a small mirror on top of the ad and tape two threads making a cross hair on top of that. Position the camera in front until the ad fills the LCD/VF, then fine tune by shifting the camera on the tripod until the lens in the mirror sits on top of the crosshair right in the center of the LCD/VF. Remove mirror. Use indirect light, paper works as a diffuser, white cardboard works as a diffusing reflector. Make sure the ad is evenly lit, use two light sources left & right or maybe one from below. Color balance the camera on a 18% gray card on top of the ad before the shoot. Use the biggest aperature possible (smallest f-no.) and lowest ISO available for best results.

Edit: don't use the build-in flash. If you you have an external flash you could try it w/ a diffuser way off the camera.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Where do I get an 18% gray card? Can I fill a box in photoshop with 18% gray and send it through my color laser printer (CMYK)? Also, not sure how to color balance. Will I need to dig up the manual for this thing or are you able to tell me how to do that?
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nope, can't tell you how to do that on that camera, you'll have to read the FM Smile Your local photo store will have 18% gray cards, you can also try some gray cardboard (be aware tho that that stuff may have a color tint. Should still be better than the auto white balance.) White paper is not good for WB reference, usually it has a blue and/or yellow tint that will throw it off. Small white balance corrections on jpgs can be done in post, the closer you get the color right in camera the better tho (unless you can shot raw w/ that thing, then you could balance it in post w/o losing anything.)

Edit: addendum for the mirror setup -- tape the threads diagonally over the ad from corner to corner and put the mirror behind them where they cross in the middle. That way you adjust the camera lens to exactly the middle.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Any results yet ?

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Going to work on this over the weekend.
View previous topic :: View next topic