I use some proprietary software to run my business that can only reside on one machine because the database is local. However, sometimes I need access to this and other things on that machine from the field. I need to be able to place orders within this software environment, and also access other software on the same machine for credit card processing and other security-sensitive tasks.
What I'm looking for is a remote desktop situation that is highly secure, yet easy to access from my field laptop. Do I need special hardware (ie a VPN router) to accomplish this task, or should I be able to do this with a software solution?
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:11 am
I use LogMeIn because
1) no special hardware needed,
2) no special configuration for the computers (other than a software piece),
3) can do most things including remote desktop for free (more advanced features require you to pay)
4) simply use your web browser to access the other computer remotely
5) encrypted and secured
6) will tell you if the remote computer is online before you attempt to connect
7) the remote computer can be moved anywhere (different network, different ISP) and as soon as it's online again LogMeIn can find it.
At home (or at work), within the same network ... I use RealVNC.
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:19 pm
_________________ A United States Marine, is the last son-ova-bitch you ever want to piss off!! When it has to be absolutely destroyed and eradicated of any and all enemy forces..... CALL THE MARINES!!!
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum