Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > VPN? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I use some proprietary software to run my business that can only reside on one machine because the database is local. However, sometimes I need access to this and other things on that machine from the field. I need to be able to place orders within this software environment, and also access other software on the same machine for credit card processing and other security-sensitive tasks.

What I'm looking for is a remote desktop situation that is highly secure, yet easy to access from my field laptop. Do I need special hardware (ie a VPN router) to accomplish this task, or should I be able to do this with a software solution?
TechPro
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:11 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I use LogMeIn because
1) no special hardware needed,
2) no special configuration for the computers (other than a software piece),
3) can do most things including remote desktop for free (more advanced features require you to pay)
4) simply use your web browser to access the other computer remotely
5) encrypted and secured
6) will tell you if the remote computer is online before you attempt to connect
7) the remote computer can be moved anywhere (different network, different ISP) and as soon as it's online again LogMeIn can find it.

At home (or at work), within the same network ... I use RealVNC.
AceCombat
SpongeBob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

x2 logmein