Descent BB

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

   Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > Copyright Infringement notice... Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
willkill
Ace




PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just wondering if there may be a few words of advice on this letter I recieved in the mail...obviously, I admit to no wrongdoing while still confirming that utorrent did run all nite, once. Rolling Eyes


apologies for quality but I was in a bit of a hurry Wink
top-half, pg.1

bottem-half, pg.1

reverse side, pg.1
Zuruck
Ace




PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah..don't steal shit that doesn't belong to you. Music, videos, anything that belongs to someone else you can't just take for free bro. If you didn't do anything at all, good luck.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

WillKill: Private Trackers. Newsgroups. Best of all: Netflix...

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Pun
DBB Admin




PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Let's not turn this into a "how to steal without getting caught" thread.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:26 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun I see where you're coming from, and I agree 100%. I was just busting Will's balls a bit. Luckily for him, it looks like he's not going to suffer repercussions provided he cleans up his act - although I suppose that remains to be seen.

Now, on another note, and WillKill you should be paying attention here:

Netflix is great, and better yet, it's legal! In fact, Netflix has become my go-to resource for movies. The on-demand is available for every game console in my home, and on 5 PC's. Better yet, I can watch movies on-demand anywhere I want provided there is broadband network access and a PC or modern gaming console. New-release movies are usually available and in the mail just days after the scene releases anyway, so why waste time, money, blank DVD's and bandwidth downloading movies I get anyway? $10.00 gives access to all that, and if that's not enough, a few dollars more lets you have several movies in the mail at once...

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
MD-2389
Insane!




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Theres also hulu and fancast.
Bee
Miss Priss




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Will, I would call your ISP and without admitting guilt ask them what they would advise. You can also tell them that the offending material was found and removed and you intend to monitor your computer more closely in the future. (not a lie)

If that doesn't satisfy them then I would seek out a local lawyer who could handle something like this pretty cheaply.

Good Luck,

Bee
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

oh, dear x_X
Pun
DBB Admin




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I agree with Bee's advice, and Bunyip's Netflix recommendation.
Krom
DBB Admin




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Don't leave utorrent running all night again (at least not if its downloading potentially copyright infringing material), otherwise you shouldn't have to do or say anything. I've heard of people getting those notices left and right and nothing ever coming of it.

You have to keep in mind that the telecommunication industry in the US and your ISP know without a doubt that a huge portion of their revenue exists because of copyright infringing file traders. The RIAA/MPAA would like nothing more than to turn the ISPs into the copyright police but the telecommunications industry has even deeper pockets and keeps plenty of palms greased in Washington. ISPs and other telecomm giants want nothing to do with becoming the copyright police which would increse costs and damage their revenue streams at the same time.

So basically your ISP will do the minimum it has to do in order to keep up appearances, they don't want to get sued or the government to take away safe harbor protections so they pass on these little letters. You only have to worry if some law firm or other content industry representative mails you one of the so-called "pre-settlement" letters extorting somewhere in the range of $3,000-$6,000 USD or they will take you to court (which would cost you hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars regardless of the verdict). Even if you pay the settlement it doesn't mean that they can no longer sue you over it, they can come back at any time and send you another letter demanding more money and there is nothing you can do about it. Some law offices have set this up as their business model, its legalized extortion and they split 50% of the profit with the MPAA/RIAA. They don't have to prove anything and they don't have to answer to anyone, all they have to do is send threatening letters and rake in the money.

So basically you shouldn't have to do anything, unless you get a pre-settlement letter in the mail in which case you are completely fucked and should just go kill yourself.

_________________
(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
willkill
Ace




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ok...advice heeded. I don't normally break the law (anymore) since I have these baby girls in my life but we all wanted to see that Airbender movie and daddy was low on funds, so....
I guess this is just one of those "live and learn" scenarios I'm so fond of Very Happy I had fallen asleep b4 I intended that night and this is the result.

And just so all u know...copying is not theft Razz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7axyrHWDQ&hd=1


I deeply appreciate the comments and excellent advice though. <3

_________________

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
Zuruck
Ace




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Uhh...yeah it is dude. It doesn't matter what you think of the RIAA or any of the other companies that were so fucking stupid from the beginning that all of this could have been avoided. That said, fair use extends if you have PURCHASED the material and want to make a copy. If you did not pay for something and it is owned, you are stealing!

Funny video and I hope everything works for you. The RIAA fought the internet because they thought they could save the cd. They may be complete jackasses but it is still their product, unfortunately.
Spidey
Hotshot




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I donít know if itís just the dumb ass internet culture, or a piss poor education system, but itís really pathetic when people canít agree on what constitutes theft.

_________________
Better to be pissed off, than to be pissed on.
AlphaDoG
porn 'n beans




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Krom wrote:


So basically you are completely fucked and should just go kill yourself.



Twisted Evil
Krom
DBB Admin




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

AlphaDoG wrote:
Krom wrote:


So basically you are completely fucked and should just go kill yourself.



Twisted Evil


Hey now, I wouldn't want to imply that suicide bombing the offending law office is a valid career option...

_________________
(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Stealing is stealing. But duh ghud hard whurkers of America get to take $20,000 worth of movies and music. If you did that with their contractor chobs it would be in court.

Fuckin thieves, come re-build and paint my apartment for free you skilled whurkers! In fact, come paint and re-build my apartment after you've read "thou shalt not be an idiot" and then wipe my ass. Placing value on products you cannot produce!

I think milk should cost $.01 a gallon, therefore I shall stuff a gallon of it in my bag and leave the store. Die in a car fire.

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
Krom
DBB Admin




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Did you know that by the US copyright law, quoting any portion of a post in an online forum is actually copyright infringement? But that's not all, lets say you are talking to your mother on the phone and you tell a funny story you heard at work (if you have a job)... Yup, you guessed it, copyright infringement. That joke you got in the email last week...Better just turn yourself in now because at a $250,000 fine per infringement everyone in the entire USA/world now owes more money than the entire global economy has ever circulated. And when you turn yourself in, try to speak as little as possible because everything you say is probably copyright infringement.

Yup, obviously copyright infringement is theft and evil and illegal and we should all go to jail because the law is always right.

_________________
(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Spidey
Hotshot




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perfect example, who said anything about the lawÖ

Lots of stealing goes on that is or isn't legal.

Taxes for example = legalized stealing.

Iím also willing to bet quoting an online forum falls under the doctrine of fair useÖbut donít quote me on that. Razz

_________________
Better to be pissed off, than to be pissed on.
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Spidey wrote:
Taxes for example = legalized stealing.

Cant stay on topic.

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
Spidey
Hotshot




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TheWhat wrote:
I think milk should cost $.01 a gallon, therefore I shall stuff a gallon of it in my bag and leave the store. Die in a car fire.


On topic?

_________________
Better to be pissed off, than to be pissed on.
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Krom wrote:
Did you know that by the US copyright law, quoting any portion of a post in an online forum is actually copyright infringement? But that's not all, lets say you are talking to your mother on the phone and you tell a funny story you heard at work (if you have a job)... Yup, you guessed it, copyright infringement. That joke you got in the email last week...Better just turn yourself in now because at a $250,000 fine per infringement everyone in the entire USA/world now owes more money than the entire global economy has ever circulated. And when you turn yourself in, try to speak as little as possible because everything you say is probably copyright infringement.

Yup, obviously copyright infringement is theft and evil and illegal and we should all go to jail because the law is always right.


Can you do anything creative? Or are you just rationalizing your behavior? You take and don't pay. that's it. write 1400 paragraphs about it, you take. Ill take from you, but i cant figure what you offer.

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
Krom
DBB Admin




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah I used to do creative stuff, but I gave it all away. Razz I quit because I grew up and don't have the time or the money to dick around with pointless bullshit that will just go help make the man more wealthy anyway. And I have my standards, I like being an asshole but even if I didn't it is still highly preferable to being a douche-bag artist.

I went and saw Avatar in the theaters... what a fucking letdown. Can you believe the studio wasted like $400 million on that? If I wanted to see pretty pictures I'd go to an art museum. I want my money back, I want my time back.

I don't mind paying for something good, in fact I go out of my way to do it. But I do have a problem being shown something bad, regardless of the price. So you can take your creative license and shove it, nobody wants your crap anyway. Razz

_________________
(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Ferno
BDSM Fanatic




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

and right now, something bad is the status quo. like the jonas brothers and hanson.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think it's important to support creative and artistic works that you have enjoyed, whatever the form. I buy music, movies, books and various other forms of art. I give money to buskers and other street performers, and even a bum with a good shtick will get a donation if he entertains me.

While we're on the subject of creativity though, I think it's pretty arrogant to denigrate someone else's work because it's not "art" as YOU in your petty little mindset define it. There are many forms of creativity that take place in the workaday world - even if you don't appreciate or understand the final product. I think it's a pretty fair bet that a lot of people don't appreciate or understand yours either. Such is life. You're a unique special creative snowflake flower just like the rest of us.

That said, let's not forget Sturgeon's Second Law (a/k/a Sturgeon's Revelation): "Ninety percent of EVERYTHING is crud." I'd say more like 95%, but maybe my standards are too high. Thankfully all this modern technology allows us to winnow through the garbage to find the gems =)

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I already heard bad things about netflix, that they lend a lot of scratched discs, so there's always Blockbuster (who stole the idea from netflix anyway). Not that any of you would care about what I think. Razz
Zuruck
Ace




PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Netflix is hit or miss Neo. In all the movies I have received, many one or two didn't work.
Krom
DBB Admin




PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Had one Netflix bluray fail to play properly in our player, the disk didn't appear to be scratched or anything it just skipped anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes randomly (usually around the same spot) every minute or so rendering the movie unwatchable. Just for good measure I polished the disk with a damp soft cotton cloth and really looked it over and it just wouldn't play right. Could have been an issue with our player and that specific disk I suppose. :shrug:

Everything else we have gotten from them has worked fine so far. Only outstanding issue I have with their streaming service is that it is a little choppy on the PC and the image is constantly tearing all over the place (even on a reasonably fast PC).

_________________
(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck, Hit or miss would imply a very spotty experience that was haphazard at best. One or two discs doesn't qualify unless you've only gotten maybe five or six... Check your idiom.

I think I've gotten maybe one or two bad discs that I couldn't get to run even with up to date firmware on my player... With the first few generations of blu-ray players being so cantankerous that's a pretty good record. I've since gotten a PS3 and haven't had any problems with blu-ray discs. I've also had good experiences with streaming movies, although the compression ratio is waaaay up there sometimes.

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Zuruck
Ace




PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

No Bun, it's the correct idiom.

Hit = My experience with Netflix. Positive, only a few problems
Miss = Other peoples' experiences. Bad discs, many problems.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I see what you're saying now, but without that crucial datum in your first post you can see how I might draw an incorrect conclusion, sir.

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Zuruck
Ace




PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I suppose so.

What are we even talking about now? Started with a guy upset that he got caught stealing and now we're debating the proper use of the hit / miss idiom.
TechPro
Hotshot




PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I use NetFlix quite a bit and I'd say only about 10 to 15 % of the discs arrive too scratched and only about 5% are too cracked to use.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
I suppose so.

What are we even talking about now? Started with a guy upset that he got caught stealing and now we're debating the proper use of the hit / miss idiom.


Welcome to .com!

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
AlphaDoG
porn 'n beans




PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:00 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TechPro wrote:
I use NetFlix quite a bit and I'd say only about 10 to 15 % of the discs arrive too scratched and only about 5% are too cracked to use.



Hit and miss?
Woodchip
Ace




PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Will, let them sue. The country is littered with successful litigants who thought justice was served when they won a settlement only to find actually collecting the money is somewhat more difficult.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Jump to:  
   Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > Copyright Infringement notice...

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Image hosting by postimage.org Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group