Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > I don't have to justify... Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:01 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

awww hey bro, bro, bro-bro-bro... Very Happy
I hope you don't think I was hating on ur sht..I'm actually envious and your style may not suit me but I've had other people around me pay compliments so I know it sounds good...I just don't wanna admit it Razz

So yeh...thx for the advice on mixing. I'm learning all this stuff as I go and it's quite a bit more complicated than I originally thought. As far as "help", I have some girl I know that makes cds for this local band but I'm starting to have my fill of her. Need real musicians advice.

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

At the very least get yourself a set of studio monitors (KRK Rokit, JBL or Tannoy Reveal are good brands at various price points). Honestly, I really don't think it's going to make a big difference whatever you do, because you're going over a prerecorded and mixed track with your vox. It's always always always going to sound like bad karaoke. Difference with Adam's stuff is, he's actually sequencing his own tracks, which gives him much more control over the mix. Not to mention that some of the stuff in the guitar hero thread was done in a studio.
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

<nods head pondering>

yeh I got some badass JBL's that sound awesome....thx tho, I get what ur sayin...

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

willkill wrote:
<nods head pondering>

yeh I got some badass JBL's that sound awesome....thx tho, I get what ur sayin...

See, that's the thing... Studio monitors don't sound awesome. They sound completely neutral and flat.
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

wow u just hit me over the head with a 15 lb. sledge...My $250 JBL's (and they're the cheap ones) sound neutral and flat?? Not when you adjust the lvlz. And I thought you just said, "At the very least get yourself a set of studio monitors...KRK Rokit, JBL or Tannoy Reveal are good brands..."

And I thought I understood that you were saying Adam's sounded better because he was able to tune each sound/track to optimal lvlz b4 the final mix. Right?

Lastly, what do my speakers have to do with recording bad sound? I know they are what the mic is picking up but does it not stand to reason that the better the sound coming out the better the recording playback?

Thx 4 ur insight BTW Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic