Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > I Hate the Homeless Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beowulf
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I may catch flack for this, but I don't care.

I'm a fairly liberal guy, certainly not the bleeding heart I once was, but I cannot stand this shit anymore. I cannot even go to and from work without being pestered by some crackhead with some bullshit sob story about why he's begging for what I throw out. I'm all for compassion for human beings, but at a certain point a man ceases to be a man and becomes a sub-human creature. That point occurs when you lack the basic human dignity and survival instinct to make a life for yourself beyond your next fix. People will say that de-humanizing people has accounted for countless atrocities across history...I say they've already dehumanized themselves, might as well do them a favor and euthanize them like we do thousands of homeless animals a day.

These people are alcoholics and junkies, and if it were up to me we'd deal with them like China does: put them to work digging their own graves. It's not just the begging that I mind so much, it's the fucking air of entitlement that these people have, as if the world owes them anything at all. I've said this before: most of these people are homeless for a reason, and that reason is that they are worthless junkies that are so intolerable that their own families want nothing to do with them. For those who are honestly born into poverty and are trying to work their way up...well, you don't usually see those guys on the street begging for change in raggy clothes with a crazy laudanum-induced glaze over their eyes.

I walked by a bum downtown today on my way home from work (Home and Work, two words a bum does not even understand) and he asked me for some change. I had no change, and even if I did, I wasn't about to give it to some bum. But as I walked by he made some snide remark to me about if he looked through my wallet he'd bet he'd find something. I just laughed as I paid for a meal, a drink, and switched songs on my iPhone, all of which I purchased with money that I earned in exchange for my hard work and dedication. PEOPLE WHO EXPECT KINDNESS FROM STRANGERS ARE STUPID AND NAIVE. I expect nothing from anybody, except to keep your fucking distance and don't talk to me unless you have a damn good reason to.

I think it's the fact that I've literally been living around and amongst these people for three years now. Denver has a notorious homeless problem and my part of Denver especially. Here's a little side story: Few weeks ago, a fugitive murder suspect evaded capture until he was found....HIDING IN MY GARAGE. That's right...some crackhead Mexican killed his wife and was hiding out in my garage, feet from my front door, until the cops finally caught him later that day.

I dunno at what point this happened, but now that I've worked my way into a fairly stable position in life, I have no compassion for these people at all. I've always been a cynic, but I've always managed to mix it with enough bleeding-heart naivety to keep myself even...at this point I've never felt more...Conservative? than I do right now...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I have a friend who'd like to speak with you. Smile
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not wanting a bum on the streets to bother you is not a conservative position dude.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:11 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Where in Denver, Beo?

I've been here for about 3-4 years now (Centennial area), and although I hear a lot about the homeless problem, I don't see it often down here.

I've been approached by a number of homeless when I've been downtown, but not that many of them have asked me for change; most just ask for my food (e.g. they see my wife and I coming out of a restaurant with a couple boxes).

The thing I see all over the place is the guys with the cardboard signs at the busy intersections.

DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:21 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I live off of colfax and federal near mile high stadium but thankfully moving this month. I wish people would ask for food at least then I could feel like I'm helping someone rather than help fuel an addiction. I literally get approached daily if not more...I don't even mind the dudes at the intersection looking for work at least they're tryin to earn some money

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I personally cant believe they allow begging on the streets in America. In Bali it has been banned because it upsets the tourists. The Indonesians get it.
Ferno
BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

well, we can't upset the tourists now, can we?

imagine what a hardship that would bring to the table. the loss of tourist dollars would be so devastating to the island. I can't possibly imagine what other industries that could pull in that kind of money.
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Tourism is just a small step up from begging anyway.
It's cultural prostitution.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

"how you like your free culture?"
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:17 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Beowulf wrote:
I may catch flack for this, but I don't care.

I'm a fairly liberal guy, certainly not the bleeding heart I once was, but I cannot stand this shit anymore. I cannot even go to and from work without being pestered by some crackhead with some bullshit sob story about why he's begging for what I throw out. I'm all for compassion for human beings, but at a certain point a man ceases to be a man and becomes a sub-human creature. That point occurs when you lack the basic human dignity and survival instinct to make a life for yourself beyond your next fix. People will say that de-humanizing people has accounted for countless atrocities across history...I say they've already dehumanized themselves, might as well do them a favor and euthanize them like we do thousands of homeless animals a day.

These people are alcoholics and junkies, and if it were up to me we'd deal with them like China does: put them to work digging their own graves. It's not just the begging that I mind so much, it's the fucking air of entitlement that these people have, as if the world owes them anything at all. I've said this before: most of these people are homeless for a reason, and that reason is that they are worthless junkies that are so intolerable that their own families want nothing to do with them. For those who are honestly born into poverty and are trying to work their way up...well, you don't usually see those guys on the street begging for change in raggy clothes with a crazy laudanum-induced glaze over their eyes.

I walked by a bum downtown today on my way home from work (Home and Work, two words a bum does not even understand) and he asked me for some change. I had no change, and even if I did, I wasn't about to give it to some bum. But as I walked by he made some snide remark to me about if he looked through my wallet he'd bet he'd find something. I just laughed as I paid for a meal, a drink, and switched songs on my iPhone, all of which I purchased with money that I earned in exchange for my hard work and dedication. PEOPLE WHO EXPECT KINDNESS FROM STRANGERS ARE STUPID AND NAIVE. I expect nothing from anybody, except to keep your fucking distance and don't talk to me unless you have a damn good reason to.

I think it's the fact that I've literally been living around and amongst these people for three years now. Denver has a notorious homeless problem and my part of Denver especially. Here's a little side story: Few weeks ago, a fugitive murder suspect evaded capture until he was found....HIDING IN MY GARAGE. That's right...some crackhead Mexican killed his wife and was hiding out in my garage, feet from my front door, until the cops finally caught him later that day.

I dunno at what point this happened, but now that I've worked my way into a fairly stable position in life, I have no compassion for these people at all. I've always been a cynic, but I've always managed to mix it with enough bleeding-heart naivety to keep myself even...at this point I've never felt more...Conservative? than I do right now...

:standing applause:

very good post...I can relate very closely, especially with this part >>"PEOPLE WHO EXPECT KINDNESS FROM STRANGERS ARE STUPID AND NAIVE. I expect nothing from anybody, except to keep your fucking distance and don't talk to me unless you have a damn good reason to".
When bums walk up to me, I will ignore them as if they are not there till they go away and if they attempt to be aggressive (rarely) I get a crazy look on my face and fake rush them...I get some funny reactions (co-workers are always highly amused) but it always sends them down the street with an addition to their already urine soaked clothing.
And if your unfamiliar, they can get aggressive, don't be fooled. I've had to physically assault a bum in front of a convenience store for reaching into my pocket after I ignored him.
And if you have to do this be sure to go for a leg sweep attack...I almost caught a case for drilling him in the head with my fists. He claimed excessive force when the police got there and they actually considered it for about 5-10 minutes!

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:06 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I work on Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis. You have to literally leave your pack of smokes at your cube and only bring one downstairs to smoke. 12 fucking years of "do you have an extra smoke?" tends to make you jaded.

I grew up on welfare and went without food, I have compassion for the poor but fuck these assholes. I know they are insane people with no family, but are they? I swear I've seen them rockin' multiple 20 dollar bills.

http://www.co.hennepin.mn.us/portal/site/HennepinUS/menuitem.b1ab75471750e40fa01dfb47ccf06498/?vgnextoid=cac01b7271c39210VgnVCM2000000a124689RCRD

It's unreal but true. You try to be a human but then you are forced to be a prick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quote:
You try to be a human but then you are forced to be a prick.

That seems to be my life story. And honestly I think I'm with ya Adam, these guys seem to do alright given that all they're doing is standing around begging. Hell in Denver there's bums even in the really nice parts of town, and even the ones in the hood get money from people. I see it all the time.

Quite literally everyday on my lunch break there's this dude that pretends to be deaf (I know he pretends because I've seen him mid-conversation in other parts of town) walking around Market St Station trying to get money from the people in the square. And every day he looks fucked up. Eyes glassy, walking slow, dragging his feet, stumbling occasionally...reeking of whiskey...it's a joke. Go away I'm trying to eat my turkey sandwich...I've already told you as much for the last two weeks in a row...Christ.

Again, they're homeless because they're choosing to, because rather than trying to fix/better themselves, they live on the street so they can pay for booze and drugs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Beowulf wrote:
Quote:
You try to be a human but then you are forced to be a prick.

That seems to be my life story. And honestly I think I'm with ya Adam, these guys seem to do alright given that all they're doing is standing around begging. Hell in Denver there's bums even in the really nice parts of town, and even the ones in the hood get money from people. I see it all the time.

Quite literally everyday on my lunch break there's this dude that pretends to be deaf (I know he pretends because I've seen him mid-conversation in other parts of town) walking around Market St Station trying to get money from the people in the square. And every day he looks fucked up. Eyes glassy, walking slow, dragging his feet, stumbling occasionally...reeking of whiskey...it's a joke. Go away I'm trying to eat my turkey sandwich...I've already told you as much for the last two weeks in a row...Christ.

Again, they're homeless because they're choosing to, because rather than trying to fix/better themselves, they live on the street so they can pay for booze and drugs.

Oh, it gets better! In the Memphis area, they actually carpool to different intersections! One of our local news stations decided to interview one of them, and actually offered them a decent paying position at the station! The bum's response: "Why the hell would I want to work for you, when I make three times what you would pay me in salary here begging for money?"
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:11 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

JERBS JERBS JERBS JERBS JERBS

MD-2389 wrote:
Oh, it gets better! In the Memphis area, they actually carpool to different intersections! One of our local news stations decided to interview one of them, and actually offered them a decent paying position at the station! The bum's response: "Why the hell would I want to work for you, when I make three times what you would pay me in salary here begging for money?"

I'm still of the opinion that manufacturing RIGHTEOUS RAGE for viewers like you (not you personally... a figure of speech) brings much greater audience numbers than truthful TV shows.
All aboard the outrage train. TootToot. Next stop - the very lowest predudices scraped from the bottom of the human psyche barrel. Who gives a fuck if it's true - THERE'S RAGE TO BE HAD.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s2958067.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

God helps people who help themselves. Razz
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

When people realize their brain is the God they seek, mankind will take another step in the process of evolution. Wink

This is not a dig at Neo or any other 'God' believers...

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

When people realize their brain is the God they seek, mankind will take another step in the process of evolution and parasites of the earth will be no more. Wink

This is not a dig at Neo or any other 'God' believers...

[edit:very odd...I don't remember posting this twice]

Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Most people don't even have a sound mind whether God exists or not, that's why we have so many "homeless" people who act helpless.
View previous topic :: View next topic