Descent BB

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

   Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > "How you like your free money!?" Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:04 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Last Saturday I went to see my friend play at a club about 8 blocks away. It's a really cool neighborhood that my parents raised my almost 50 year old sister in. My town.

I watched my friend play with brilliant and some famous musicians. I sit in a circle booth with their wives and friends. You know the songs they wrote. My friend had played some of my stuff to them and they were inquiring about my slop of tunes. 2 am.

Minneapolis bar close is 2am. We get rousted to leave and are talking on the street 'saying goodbyes' 'nice to meet you' sorta of stuff. I'm smoking a cigarette, perty much sober because I had to meet some folks.

This dude crosses the street and gets 4 inches from my face and calls me a "faggot". Then "you fucking faggot". He was Somali, his accent was perty thick, we have lots of them here... some are my friends. Completely unprovoked I swear I have hundreds of witnesses. My adrenaline shot and I immediately started barking at him "How you like your free money!? How you like your fucking free money!? Why would you do this to someone?"

No violence, it was broken up.

It was just sad. No reason for it at all. Why would you do that? I grabbed a cab with a Somali driver and tipped him. I was just sick that someone would be so hostile and he wasn't drunk. It was hate. Anyways, I thought I blew it with the talented people that I was hanging with. Nope. They LIKED the way I handled it. It's so confusing.

How are we going to get on with each other when 1 random instigator and a loud mouth like me make a scene on a Saturday night? I don't mind yelling at stupid people but the bars had just let out. A lot of people saw this and impressions are made. What are we to do?

"How you like your free money!?"

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm shocked you ghud hard whurker blogger cut and paste artists wouldn't have something to type. Oh, that's right, you live in the middle of no where and this shit doesn't happen. And the folks that live in civilization are used to it and think it blah blah blah.

whusbags. you aint family friendly. you are ignorant.

=)

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
roid
Inane!




PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:49 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

what does "how do you like your free money" mean?

_________________
i'm here to ... uh,
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Free money. Welfare, housing, clothing, WIC cards (food), tax breaks (as in none). Somalis moved here as refugees from an on going war that the United States was involved in. The largest population of refugees that moved to the US moved to Minnesota where I live. Like in the last 15 years. There are a lot of problems culturally and the adjustment is not easy.

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
Bee
Miss Priss




PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Since you're looking for input.... You seem surprised at the other person's actions, yet based on the majority of posts from you on both Dbb's, I see no difference between you and him.

Supportive impressions for each person were made on both sides of the street.

Bettina
Zuruck
Ace




PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Adam you stirring the pot over at the cumbucket known as .net?
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I thought he meant all the pirate money them there somalians make.

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
roid
Inane!




PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

immigration and mental illness go hand in hand
http://www.google.com/search?q=immigration+schizophrenia

on another topic, lads in the street calling random men faggots is kinda normal.

_________________
i'm here to ... uh,
Beowulf
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bee wrote:
Since you're looking for input.... You seem surprised at the other person's actions, yet based on the majority of posts from you on both Dbb's, I see no difference between you and him.

Supportive impressions for each person were made on both sides of the street.

Bettina


Haha. Yeah, except that starting shit with people on the Internet DOES NOT EQUATE to starting some with someone in person.

Adam - I live in a city, in fact, I live in the ghetto of a city. So that kind of shit does just happen all the time. Personally the fact that you didn't smash him with something heavy and/or made of glass is pretty impressive.

_________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson
Zuruck
Ace




PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Shut up Beo...you should be practicing in Estate or Underpass goddamnit.
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Beowulf wrote:
Yeah, except that starting shit with people on the Internet DOES NOT EQUATE to starting some with someone in person.


True, but the D3 community starts stuff, Adam just finishes it. ^_~

It comes as no surprise to me that Adam handled himself relatively well. That guy was a nutter. Or maybe he was just mad at american ship captains for dumping their toxic waste in foreign territory. Razz
MD-2389
Insane!




PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:07 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bee wrote:
Since you're looking for input.... You seem surprised at the other person's actions, yet based on the majority of posts from you on both Dbb's, I see no difference between you and him.

Supportive impressions for each person were made on both sides of the street.

Bettina


Yeah, because people act exactly like they do online web forums... Having talked with the guy over teamspeak several times, I can honestly say that he is quite different than how he acts on here. Try not to be shocked from the fact that he's actually a nice guy when you actually talk with him.
B-
Cocked & Locked




PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Quote:
It comes as no surprise to me that Adam handled himself relatively well. That guy was a nutter


Dangling participles FTL...heh! Did you mean Adam was the nutter, or the other guy? I don't know the other guy, but I can make a case for Adam. Wink

_________________
i found peace mother fucker-Jbomb
..its fucking retarded to be a bigot. so chew on that....faggots.- jbomb
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

B- wrote:
Quote:
It comes as no surprise to me that Adam handled himself relatively well. That guy was a nutter


Dangling participles FTL...heh! Did you mean Adam was the nutter, or the other guy? I don't know the other guy, but I can make a case for Adam. ;)

Fair.

I went to a birthday party the other night. The people who I was hanging with the night of the incident were there and I tried to kind to not approach them, I didn't want to screw things up. They approached my date and I and hugged me and explained to her I just reacted.

It's all over now 'cepting it's friggin' sad.

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
B-
Cocked & Locked




PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Adam,
I love poking at you because you say the weirdest things sometimes. I still think you're a nice guy. Smile

_________________
i found peace mother fucker-Jbomb
..its fucking retarded to be a bigot. so chew on that....faggots.- jbomb
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

B- wrote:
I love poking at you because you say the weirdest things sometimes. I still think you're a nice guy. :)

"How you like your seafoam blue with 30% K html fonts on a black background?" "How you like your fuckin' seafoam blue with 30% K html fonts on a black background?"

HUH? I think it's called seafoam green but I'm snappin' off!

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
Bee
Miss Priss




PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

MD-2389 wrote:

Yeah, because people act exactly like they do online web forums...


After several years participating in the same discussion forums? Yes. You've pretty much shown your inner self.

Bee
Spidey
Hotshot




PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:33 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

ďAnd thatís the truth, pffffft."

_________________
Better to be pissed off, than to be pissed on.
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:29 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bee wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:

Yeah, because people act exactly like they do online web forums...


After several years participating in the same discussion forums? Yes. You've pretty much shown your inner self.

Bee


Like prefacing half your posts with "My dad always says"

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
MD-2389
Insane!




PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:00 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bee wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:

Yeah, because people act exactly like they do online web forums...


After several years participating in the same discussion forums? Yes. You've pretty much shown your inner self.

Bee


...do you even know what an online persona is?
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Every online persona contains a kernel of truth. I'm a rather argumentative smart ass in real life, for example Wink It's just that it comes with a smile which takes the edge off (usually).

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
Every online persona contains a kernel of truth. I'm a rather argumentative smart ass in real life, for example ;) It's just that it comes with a smile which takes the edge off (usually).

LIES!
:P

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Shaddup, alky. Wink Very Happy Cool <grin>

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Bee
Miss Priss




PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

MD-2389 wrote:
...do you even know what an online persona is?


Enough to know that the alter ego a person creates in World of Warcraft, or any other game for that matter, should not be confused with the personality that one exhibits in real life or in a public commentary forum. Even when some find it easier to express themselves in a forum rather than face to face in real life the personality is the same... just uninhibited.

So, in either situation the personality a person displays in a commentary forum, especially if it has remained consistant, is pretty much the main character.

Bee
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bee wrote:
So, in either situation the personality a person displays in a commentary forum, especially if it has remained consistant, is pretty much the main character.


Sorry Bee...but you're just flat wrong there. I've been dealing with "online personas" for literally 25 years... While what you're saying has a certain validity - it's utter horse-shit without the following addition:

"as seen through a funhouse mirror."

You see the thing is, 90% of communication is nonverbal - and without the nonverbal cues people react oddly...and there's a positive feedback effect as they react oddly to eachothers odd reactions.. Add odd people into the mix and things get very...interesting (right Adam?)

In fact, that is why we used to organize meet-ups for the Santa Clara County BBS crowd back in the mid-80's. It really separates the wheat from the chaff. Good times... oh yeah.. SOFIA SYSTEMS BABAY! Reppin' the 408 yo. Wink

-cc (my Sofia login <grin>)

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
AlphaDoG
porn 'n beans




PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

We used to do the same around the StL area back in the day. Funny you would think your old area code would have more BBSs than the 314, but nope.

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/314/
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well, doggie, there are dozens that I knew of that aren't on that list, probably literally hundreds that are actually missing. In fact, I was co-sysop on one board that's not on there (The Greenhouse) (heh). Phreak Accident was the owner of that board and it was legendary among the modem-using herbal enthusiasts. Teleplay is another system that is prominently missing. They ran a 16-player (simultaneous!) mud, had boards, monthly get-togethers and more. Imagine that, a text mud for the low low price of $50.00 a month!

Anyhow, you're definitely old school =)

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
Foil
2*pi*r




PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not as old-school as some, but I remember a few meetups with BBS folk back in the early '90s. Met some weird people, but it was fun. Smile

The cool thing about the BBS days was that someone could just say, "Hey, let's all meet at the Denny's on 39th street tonight", and everyone was close enough that they could make it.

_________________
"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."
"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die."
Zuruck
Ace




PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You guys are fucking weird.
Beowulf
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Old nerds don't die...they just get new software.

Back on sorta topic...Bee, do you honestly believe that you can get a solid read on someone's character through text over the Internet? Don't you think that's a rather flat representation of a complex human being? Do you feel like any of us really know you, for example?

I hope that's not the case, as it portrays an extremely pretentious goody-two-shoes that has only experienced life's difficulties from a back-seat perspective.

Warm Regards,
All that I am

_________________
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson
TheWhat
Insane!




PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bee wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:
...do you even know what an online persona is?
So, in either situation the personality a person displays in a commentary forum, especially if it has remained consistant, is pretty much the main character.

Whats that got to do with being provoked on the street at bar close? Ask dad.

_________________
Richard Dawkins stole my woman with his big evolved dick.
Neo
[deleted]




PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

B- wrote:
Quote:
It comes as no surprise to me that Adam handled himself relatively well. That guy was a nutter


Dangling participles FTL...heh! Did you mean Adam was the nutter, or the other guy? I don't know the other guy, but I can make a case for Adam. Wink


hey, Adam may be a nutter, but he's not an aggressive bastige like that other guy Razz Moreover, Adam speaks a lot of truth during his rants. People don't want to hear the truth, so they call it nonsense. I guess the truth hurtz. Razz

Don't be a fool: one can't know everything about someone by reading or hearing about what they have said on the Internet. If you act like you do, you need to wise up. Furthermore, if you have to get in voice chat just to know that Adam is a nice guy and generally knows what he's talking about, then that makes me question your perception at the very least. Razz
Bee
Miss Priss




PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Neo wrote:
...if you have to get in voice chat just to know that Adam is a nice guy and generally knows what he's talking about, then that makes me question your perception at the very least. Razz


I don't understand your statement. Confused

Bee
Bunyip
DBB Staff




PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:19 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

He is saying you need to jump in the .net teamspeak server and chat with adam some time for a better idea of who he really is.

_________________
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it, or who has said it,
not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense. - GAUTAMA BUDDHA
MD-2389
Insane!




PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

And stop taking what Adam says on an online bulletin board so seriously.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Jump to:  
   Descent BB Forum Index > Ethics and Commentary > "How you like your free money!?"

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Image hosting by postimage.org Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group