Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Multiplayer > New level: Laer W.I.P Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Did my first official test of the incomplete version of my new level, "Laer" and i have to say, out of any level i've ever played in d3, it is by far the most balanced weapon-wise, architecture-wise, and overall level diversity.

I tried to incoporate elements from two of my favorite level builders (D1, Spaz) and (D2 Vander)
So that i could create a quasi-mixture of level design, The layout is simple, yet complex.
More like a d1 level, whereas i am texturing it much like a Vander D2/D3 tunnel type level.

The weapons will be very balanced and after playing RETHINK in there 1on1, i think it's best suited for 3-5 players, Non-stop fast paced action with more than just fusion, it has MD, plasma, super lasers.

A large dogfighting room with Vertical elements, plenty of spots to hide behind while in a large room dogfight so you can mix it up and trick your opponent, small cramped hallways to make it hard to camp and lob, A medium sized energy-dogfighting room in the style of Spaz's "Fuzed" to commemorate his skills which I personally believe didn't recieve enough recognition..

I've also included a pillar type room, because i enjoy dark areas where i can lurk in the quiet.. and finally i plan on having a small cave area to fight in.

I will post up more info soon, Will any server admin's be interested in hosting for me?
Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hallway junction 1:

Hallway junction 2:

Large room Energy center:

Large room 1:

Large room 2:

Large room 3:

"Fuzed" Dogfighting room 1:

"Fuzed" Dogfighting room 2:

"Fuzed" Energy center 1:

"Fuzed" Energy center 2:

Pillar room 1:

Pillar room view 2:

Almost completed.
Floyd
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

blocky. dogfighting room 2 reminds me of that indika3 room with the energy center (looks like that Vander-part succeeded Smile). the metal-earth combination gives it a cyborgish shimmer.
the automap would be nice for a better idea of the layout.

overall, not bad Smile
Zero
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

LOOKS LIKE SHIT

"ShadowFox126: TW, just hold 50%, I'll do the rest."
shadowfox 19-25 twolvesfan 28-27
Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, not all levels can be a box with a blackshark Smile
Mickey1
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Behemoth, you got a vauss in there for me to use on the Tankers?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'll release it for public testing soon, after it's played to a few 50 point rounds with about 4-5 people i'll see how much it needs vauss.
i'm planning on adding one though, no worries. The matter weapons will not have ammo so people can't rely on them completely, i want this level to challenge players, not cater to narrow skill sets =)
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

suggestion: Matter wep ammo tied to kills, as in otherone's levels. If you die w/ md, you drop ammo for that weapon. Although, fuck MD unless it's 3 shot on pickup Smile

Thomas
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Oh, oh, another box level... Sad

Long live Descent 3 boxes!!! More ugly boxes, please!!! More, more!!!

You _do_ know that D3 supports more than just 20 faces per room, do you?
Thomas
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Floyd wrote:
overall, not bad Smile

Huh??????????
Thomas
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

21st century, you know.

http://www.descentforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4666
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'd rather play in a box level than some shitty hobbit level or some other level with fake streetlamps that are all out of proportion and just fucking STUPID. Put that in your leiderhosen and sit on it. Nice work Beh.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'd rather people played a new level at all. Good whurker Behemoth.
Thomas
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:
I'd rather play in a box level than some shitty hobbit level or some other level with fake streetlamps that are all out of proportion and just fucking STUPID. Put that in your leiderhosen and sit on it. Nice work Beh.

A pile of shit, not more. The level is an embarrasment for the whole community.

Maybe next time you can try to spell Lederhosn correcty.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Okay... which one of you descent community cowards has a ghud hard whurkohn fake name? You clever fuckin pigs. =)
Thomas
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TheWhat wrote:
Okay... which one of you descent community cowards has a ghud hard whurkohn fake name? You clever fuckin pigs. =)

You must have been lost somewhere betweem the subject and your own imgination.

All I was saying is that the level presented here is far from deserving any ratings at all. It's nothihg. It's too ugly. In any case.

Sorry, Behemoth, but we all have to face the real world at some point.
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Looks okay to me Razz
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You guys will love this PM.

Quote:
To: Pun
Posted: 24 Mar 2010 07:45 pm
Subject: Whois Quote message
Hi,

I live in Oxford, UK.

Your reference to "Lederhosn" gives me the idea that you must have "whois'd" my current IP, while I'm on holiday in Germany.

While it is not illegal to "whois" my current IP, it is certainly illegal to publish this information without my consent.

I just would like to remind you of this fact. Please don't do it again.

Many thanks, and regards,
Thomas

The fact that he linked to a German forum had nothing to do with my reference to lederhosen? Then he pulls the spelling Nazi in the thread and then misspells it himself. You think he's related to Sup? Sorry your thread got crapped on, Beh. You are still mod of this forum. Feel free to split this off however you see fit. <3
BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Behemoth wrote:
....i want this level to challenge players, not cater to narrow skill sets =)
With that logic then obviously you are compelled to remove the energy center....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Playability > Looks, although I'll take both if I can get them. I know that if I'm really into the game, all I see is opponents, obstacles & objectives - everything else is secondary. I think it's stupid to say that a level sucks because it doesn't look the way YOU think it should... particularly when it has very little impact on game-play.

It's also really fucking lame to insult someone who is giving to the community. If you're such a fucking genius, why not offer to collaborate with him and improve the shell of the level to your standards while maintaining his vision?

Or maybe you could just not be a fucking douche...

Mickey1
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:08 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Behemoth, Thanks for trying to improve the B-Team's skill set. But if A-Team Tankers are playing I won't run out of ammo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wow, don't be such an ungrateful prick, Thomas.

If you don't like the level you don't have to download it or play it. I for one am glad to see people still making new levels and content for this game, even after all these years.

Gameplay trumps visuals, and as long as the gameplay is really fun, that's all that really matters in the end. Anyone who is still playing D3 after all this time is also going to be someone that puts gameplay first, otherwise they would have stopped playing D3 long ago.

In conclusion, get out of here with your garbage opinion. It's irrelevant.
Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

hah
i just looked at this, thanks for the support guys.
and thomas, this is a cyber world, not reality. while i appreciate constructive criticism i've never seen anyone named thomas in d1/d2 OR d3 in the 15+ years i've been playing. so with that said, i'll be putting on some finishing touches tonight.
sorry i've been too busy lately, haven't completed it as quick as i wanted.

OH and another thing.
Descent is ALL about boxes, if you want to make your OWN level feel free to do so Smile
korpze
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Behemoth wrote:

while i appreciate constructive criticism i've never seen anyone named thomas in d1/d2 OR d3 in the 15+ years i've been playing.

Haha me neither
And good work mark Very Happy

Insane!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Honestly, I think the layout has some serious potential for some decent furballs. Got a shot of the automap, so we can see a proper layout?
Thorne
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Looks a little big. Looking forward to trying it out!

I second the request for an automap pic.

[deleted]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

who wants to try this with me?
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

so what happened to this mark?? I'd like to get in there and give it a run...

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
Pandora
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thomas wrote:
All I was saying is that the level presented here is far from deserving any ratings at all. It's nothihg. It's too ugly. In any case.

holy shit. who plays a level for looks? Some of the most intense games I've played were in uber-blocky Indika. Of course, looks help, but its only a bonus.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:24 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

agreed..."weapon balance, architecture, and overall level diversity" (as Mark previously pointed out) are the main points to consider...pretty levels take away from true competition.

Neo wrote:
who wants to try this with me?

I'll try it soon as I find it...

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bump...where u at Mark?

Bunyip wrote:
Playability > Looks, although I'll take both if I can get them. I know that if I'm really into the game, all I see is opponents, obstacles & objectives - everything else is secondary.

Affirmitive.

Bunyip wrote:
I think it's stupid to say that a level sucks because it doesn't look the way YOU think it should... particularly when it has very little impact on game-play.
It's also really fucking lame to insult someone who is giving to the community. If you're such a fucking genius, why not offer to collaborate with him and improve the shell of the level to your standards while maintaining his vision?
Or maybe you could just not be a fucking douche...

lmao...Bun always did know how to put the smackdown on someone deserving of it. Good sht man.. well said.

Thorne
Ace

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What's this about a good looking level detracting from gameplay? That can't be true. Also a good looking level is a joy to fly in!

Ace

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

not "gameplay"

I readily admit, regular gameplay is much better within a nice looking level with weps FX on. The split comes in at the junction of "gameplay" and true "competition". The competitors will always prefer a level like this because we want no frills warfare. People who live in fantasy worlds prefer pretty gameplay...j/k about that last part but that was some funny sht that's almost true. Razz

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thorne wrote:
What's this about a good looking level detracting from gameplay? That can't be true. Also a good looking level is a joy to fly in!

Gonna have to agree here too. A good looking level that plays well... that's the ideal! Not that I often notice how a level or map looks once the new wears off.

Hunter
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I ain't got no gripes with an ugly multiplayer level. Who cares about how it looks? I only get stomach cramps when I see an ugly single player level, because those are meant to look good IMO.