Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Single Player > New to this board Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yachtpro
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:12 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I had given up trying Descent on my 32 bit XP machine as it wouldn't even load. Lo and behold...I found a patched for XP D3 at www.gog.com for $5.95 and it works GREAT! I have all the original D1,2,3 CD's including the Level Builder and contest winners levels plus Freespace. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this board (or someplace else) to find info on whether or not I can get the older D1 & 2 to load and play on an XP machine? DOS loads don't work well in XP, but then again, I'm not a computer wiz in the department of work-arounds and forced loading. Glad to be here and thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:15 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

Use these and D1 / D2 will work in XP.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:02 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Welcome to the Board, and hello to a fellow Florida resident. =) Nice find!

yachtpro
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Stupid as I am.....I downloaded the what I am assuming due to their size, are patches for D1 & D2 from Rebirth. My question is now: Do I install these two programs first and then the original CD's, or one at a time and then the originals or what? Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The DXX-Rebirth readmes explain how to use them, you need only copy a few datafiles from the D1 and D2 disks/installs into the DXX folders to play.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yachtpro wrote:
Stupid as I am.....I downloaded the what I am assuming due to their size, are patches for D1 & D2 from Rebirth. My question is now: Do I install these two programs first and then the original CD's, or one at a time and then the originals or what? Thanks for any help.

Basically, you install the games first, then patch them up to the final versions (1.5 for D1, 1.2 for D2 though installing the Vertigo Series add-on does this for you). Then to install Rebirth, just extract the files from the zip file and dump them directly into the game install directory. Don't just drag the folder included in the zip, open that first and THEN extact. Remember, the d1x file is for D1, and the d2x file is for D2.

Then when you want to play either, just run the rebirth executable. These are not patches, but third party programs. There is a huge difference between the two terms.
View previous topic :: View next topic