Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > D3 Resolution Issue Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRON.dll
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hey, I've been a long time fan of Descent, just joined today after installing Descent 3 on my Vista computer.

I'm having a strange issue with the resolution. Whenever I go between screens (i.e. Main Menu to Loading, Loading to Game, Game to Automap, etc), the resolution changes from 1024x768 (which is what I have the game set to run on in the options menu) to 640x480, and then back to 1024x768. One exception is the Automap, where the resolution will change to 640x480 and stay on that resolution until I go back to the game, at which point it returns to 1024x768.

I am running the game under OpenGL, which I've read has issues, but the game would cut to a black screen and lock up, and I'd have to Ctrl-Alt-Del out of it while running under DirectX. I've given admin privileges to the Descent 3 launcher and Main.exe.

I'm just wondering if the constant resolution changes are normal, and/or if there's any way to stop it from doing it.

Thanks!
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I don't think anyone will answer your questions with a nic like that! Laughing

j/k..someone will be along shortly with your answer...these cats know all that stuff.

Anyway, welcome to D3 and I look forward to seeing ya' in game. Smile

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Its normal, and there is no way to stop it.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Paskiewicz
Hyena of Love

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It happens to me on 16 and 32 bit.
LvlSevenBoss
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That's why I play on the smaller resolutions.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just FYI, the black-screen isn't a "lockup". You can still navigate through the menu blind and exit normally.

There are a couple of ways around it:

1. Use old NVidia drivers. The problem started somewhere around v175, as I recall.

2. Use Direct3D. The issue only happens in OpenGL mode.

3. Get an ATI card. The issue is specific to NVidia.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dude, he's talking about a black screen under DX -- different issue.

And yes, the resolution changes are normal. The menu system & automap are hard coded to 640x480 by the game. Won't be changed until the next "official" 1.5 patch..

Ryujin -- set your in-game res. greater than 640x480, that way you can get rid of the white square problem by hitting TAB twice (resolution change will re-init the graphics.)
TRON.dll
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
Dude, he's talking about a black screen under DX -- different issue.

I was getting a black screen on Descent 3. The computer wasn't locked up; I could go into ctrl-alt-del and alt-tab out of it. This does not occur anymore, however.

Quote:
And yes, the resolution changes are normal. The menu system & automap are hard coded to 640x480 by the game. Won't be changed until the next "official" 1.5 patch..

Ah, thanks. I set it to 640x480 resolution and I'm not getting the resolution problem anymore. Very Happy

willkill wrote:
I don't think anyone will answer your questions with a nic like that!

lol, well that's my usual online screename. I'm a big fan of the movie TRON, unsurprisingly. Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic