Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > vista? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
confused

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote

Not sure if this forum is still active but here goes. Found an old copy of D3 and tried installing it. Setup is fine and all seems to work until I click on "New game". It then freezes and I have to start task manager to quit out. Tried patching upto 1.4. Done the compatibility to XP service pack 2 in game properties. Tried both graphics options to no avail. Also sorted the sound out by switching to the "Speakers" option in the drop down menu. Any ideas? I loved D1 and 2 and my old playstation. I am trying to run on a HP A6455 with AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.20 GHz With 3Gb of memory and a NVidia GeForrece 8400HD. Thanks in advance.
VonVulcan
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:06 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yes, the board is quite active, I can't help you since I'm still running XP but you will get an answer shortly I am sure.

Good luck.

(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time.
confused

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote

Thanks VonVulcan! Very Happy
confused

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote

If this helps at all?
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Try turning off the XP compatibility settings.

D3 runs fine for me in Vista (both 32 and 64-bit) without them.

Insane!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:58 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

And make sure you're trying to run the game on an account with admin rights.
confused

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote

Ok thanks. Foil I'll give that a go. MD-2389 theres only me on this machine so I should have admin...I think Smile . Wish me luck
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Things work differently in Vista when it comes to admins, even if you are an admin the game will still be run with a limited account by default. This is because of UAC. When you go to start the game, right click the icon and select "run as administrator" and hit yes to the prompt.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
confused

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Krom. Tried that and still no luck. This is just plain weird. I'll keep trying though. Thanks for all your help...but its still needed! Very Happy
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Updated sound and video drivers? Incorrect drivers are often the culprit for D3 crashes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Yep all my drivers are up to date. I'm guessing it just doesn't like my system.
Thomas
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Before you do anything else turn UAC off. It's just some stupid hurdle MS have put in and is not required most of the time.

When you start the launcher, go to Setup and select a different video driver. If you only have one, or if this still doesn't work, add the -nomultitexture command line switch on the last page of the Setup.

If that still doesn't solve it, reduce the hardware acceleration of your video driver, step by step and keep trying.

It could also be the sound driver. If you have more than one, select a different driver. To test this, add the switches -nosound -nomusic. If it doesn't crash, you have issues with your sound driver. You can go for the same trial and error method as for the video driver (different one if available, decrease hardware acceleration if available).

One of these things usually always works. Laughing
View previous topic :: View next topic