Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > The DBB Gallery > Opinions on a Rifle? ~UPDATED~ Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

About 3900 polygons. I would like to know if this is a good model. I am trying to perfect this gun before I continue on anything else. I want the gun to be detailed, but still fairly low in polycount.

EDIT:
New design! 6925 polygons!

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Looks pretty cool but the polycount seems high to someone who is used to making d3 levels...

Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
Looks pretty cool but the polycount seems high to someone who is used to making d3 levels...

I'm afraid it's too low - today's FPS games have weapons with 6000+ polygons.
Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here is the progress so far (I've commenced re-modeling to make it more detailed):
Dakatsu, at the other DBB, wrote:
Here it is so far: 6229 polygons! I think a cap of 7500 for the rifle itself is a good goal - this beast has lots of attachments, from scopes to the bi-pod that need modeling!

Here is the pistol grip, as well as a wireframe idea of it's radius. Is that round enough?

I will work with the caliber of the bullet later...
Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I re-designed this rifle, mostly from scratch! 6925 polygons!

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:42 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I've already said I like it, and I do. It looks neat from an appearance standpoint, but I do have some recommendations: I'd like to see more obvious deliniation between the magazine and the magazine well, and the little do-hickeys on the receiver don't really look like they do much. If you look at a typical firearm every little widget is there for a functional reason. You don't have too many do-hickeys (in fact you could probably have more, maybe a few nuts/bolts and/or tap-out pins etc.), but the ones you have mostly look decorative.

From a purely functional viewpoint, it looks a bit impractical as well. Neither the magazine well nor the large semi-circular guard appear designed to be used as a foregrip, despite the functional utility of such use. You should think about doing some modifications or adding a barrel shroud for use as a foregrip. I realize this probably doesn't matter much for your purposes, but if you're going for versimilitude I'd suggest making some changes. Your design looks like would work better as a bullpup configuration rifle. In fact it already looks similar to the Steyr AUG (of counterstrike fame) in a lot of ways.

Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
I'd like to see more obvious deliniation between the magazine and the magazine well, and the little do-hickeys on the receiver don't really look like they do much. If you look at a typical firearm every little widget is there for a functional reason.
You don't have too many do-hickeys (in fact you could probably have more, maybe a few nuts/bolts and/or tap-out pins etc.), but the ones you have mostly look decorative.

I have two loops used for the strap (this gun would be strapped on the back of the player when not in use). There is also the logo of the country this was produced in. I might add more bolts and stuff.

Bunyip wrote:
From a purely functional viewpoint, it looks a bit impractical as well. Neither the magazine well nor the large semi-circular guard appear designed to be used as a foregrip, despite the functional utility of such use.

I had in mind that it would be held from the part where the gun cones and the barrel connects, right after the magazine. The guard really has no purpose, but I like it a lot, and I'd only remove it if it really is impossible to use (at least to model a person holding it).

Bunyip wrote:
Your design looks like would work better as a bullpup configuration rifle. In fact it already looks similar to the Steyr AUG (of counterstrike fame) in a lot of ways.
[/quote]
I really did think of making it a bullpup, but opted against it. I do have some bullpup weapons in mind, but they would be for another side.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Well it sounds like you've thought it through - If this was a real gun, I'd consider lengthening the foregrip a bit and maybe putting a lip there to prevent hands from getting burned by a hot barrel.

Another idea I had was that the magazine could be in the curved guard. I'm just throwing this stuff out there for your consideration, kind of brainstorming.

Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

[quote="Bunyip"]Well it sounds like you've thought it through - If this was a real gun, I'd consider lengthening the foregrip a bit and maybe putting a lip there to prevent hands from getting burned by a hot barrel.
I like the idea of lengthening it! I think I'll do it! (as for the protection from heat, the mod/storyline this weapon is made for has nearly all soldiers in armored suits that, besides protecting against the heavy projectiles of the future, also regulate temperature inside the suit)

Bunyip wrote:
Another idea I had was that the magazine could be in the curved guard. I'm just throwing this stuff out there for your consideration, kind of brainstorming.

I love the idea, but I am still set on the magazine's current location, BUT, you did give me an excellent idea for an SMG I designed - the magazine was a flat box placed on the butt at first, but I may have the magazine slid into it's curved guard! (it has a guard very similar to this rifle. The gun's shape can be described as a capital D cut in half from the middle)

Maybe I could give it two magazines - each with different rounds. OOHHH THE CREATIVITY!!! Very Happy

EDIT: Another thought could be to introduce an improved version of this rifle, so I can have the best of both worlds - the lovely design of the current rifle, and the mag-in-guard bullpup design!
Dakatsu
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The same rifle with bi-pod and a drum magazine. I originally planned to keep the magazine guide rail permanently attached, but the drum mag looked ridiculous, so instead the player will remove/add the guide rail depending upon the ammo type Smile

View previous topic :: View next topic