Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > The DBB Gallery > Some aircraft profiles Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

These represent real aircraft, painted in realistic color schemes / markings, but the aircraft never actually existed in this form. Kind of a "what-if" scenario. Note: unless otherwise noted, I did not draw the line art - just colored/highlighted/shaded/edited/modified/etc.

The A-10B was a two-seat prototype, proposed to the USAF first as a trainer, then as a night/all-weather attack aircraft. Only one was built, but the USAF actually ordered a few, but then cancelled them. Had they been built, they might have looked like this.

81st TFW, RAF Bentwaters, USAF s/n 82-0695, European I camo.

510th FS, 52nd FW, Spangdahlem AB, USAF s/n 82-0700.

Luftwaffe, JaboG 38.
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:27 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

More:

917th Wing, Barksdale AFB, USAF s/n 82-0698; experimental desert camouflage.

23rd Fighter Wing, England AFB, USAF s/n 82-0699, in commemorative Flying Tigers scheme.

Hel HaAvir A-10I Ra'am, Patishim Squadron.
d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:09 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cool paint jobs. The A-10 always was one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I love the various paint schemes - although I confess the toothy ones are my favorites!

I've always been a fan of the A-10. I remember getting up close and personal with one at the New England Air Show in Chicopee, MA back in the early 90's and being very impressed. The spinal mounted gatling and the incredibly high survivability combine to make this one extremely nifty little utility CAS aircraft.

Santa: I want one. Preferably with the gatling. TYVM.

BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

GAU-8 is awesome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:29 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah, the A-10 is a real bad-ass. Cool videos, Bubbalou.

Here's some more:

Fuerza Aérea Argentina

Fuerza Aérea de Honduras

Fuerza Aérea Guatemalteca
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Força Aérea Brasileira

336th FS, 4th TFW at Seymour Johnson AFB, USAF s/n 82-0705.

Nigerian Air Force
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

A couple Polish hogs:

Wojska Lotnicze i Obrony Powietrznej

Siły Powietrzne Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I love the look of the A-10; and it's mission and capabilities are pretty bad assed as well. However, the sound of the engines is the strangest I have heard.

The depleted uranium rounds that gun fires are massive. Is it true that without a nose-down attitude the gun cannot be fired for fear of loss of thrust? I couldn't find any info on this. May be a military legend. I did find this link.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-10.htm

Got any cool F/A-18 Hornet paint schemes?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yeah, the sound (and even the look) of the A-10 kind of reminds me of the Hunter-Killer craft from the Terminator Movies.

Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo wrote:
I love the look of the A-10; and it's mission and capabilities are pretty bad assed as well. However, the sound of the engines is the strangest I have heard.

The depleted uranium rounds that gun fires are massive. Is it true that without a nose-down attitude the gun cannot be fired for fear of loss of thrust? I couldn't find any info on this. May be a military legend. I did find this link.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/a-10.htm

Got any cool F/A-18 Hornet paint schemes?

The A-10 uses essentially the same high-bypass turbofans as the S-3 Viking, GE TF34s (-2 on the Viking, -100 on the A-10) - an engine that you would expect to see on an airliner.

Never heard that about the gun - during early development, there were some problems with gun gas getting into the engines, but that was fixed on the prototypes.

I haven't done any Hornets yet, maybe I'll do some Super Bugs or something...
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Flatlander wrote:

The A-10 uses essentially the same high-bypass turbofans as the S-3 Viking, GE TF34s (-2 on the Viking, -100 on the A-10) - an engine that you would expect to see on an airliner.

I'm familiar with the Viking and it's sound. I think it's just the sound versus the look of it. It looks as if it would roar not whine and whistle. Only 9k lbs of thrust per engine. Now the Tomcat...that's a roar!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo wrote:
Flatlander wrote:

I'm familiar with the Viking and it's sound. I think it's just the sound versus the look of it. It looks as if it would roar not whine and whistle. Only 9k lbs of thrust per engine. Now the Tomcat...that's a roar!

Yeah, I remember seeing a flight demonstration by an F-14 at an airshow back in the early nineties - very loud.

Another interesting-sounding aircraft is the F-104 Starfighter - it's J79 makes a unique howling sound.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ1kCNoDfQA

Well, that's all my A-10B profiles. However, I'm not quite done with the A-10. As you can see by this photo that I took of an A-10 at an airshow earlier this year, it is common to paint "door art" on the inside of the door that covers the cockpit access ladder.

So, I made my own A-10 door art template and created some fictional door art.

Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:45 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

More door art...

MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
yeah, the sound (and even the look) of the A-10 kind of reminds me of the Hunter-Killer craft from the Terminator Movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecqf4r2yL9g

Smile
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

MD-2389 wrote:
Bunyip wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecqf4r2yL9g

Smile

Yowza! Smile
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

lol at the whoopass cannery... thats what barryseans a-10 would have Wink

nice stuff Flatlander...ty
MD-2389
Insane!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I call dibs on Snoopy! Wink
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:08 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

LOL @ shawnbarry's A-10 door painting.

Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks Cool

That's it for the A-10. Next up I decided to do some fictional profiles of the Curtiss-Wright CW-21B Demon, a late 1930's fighter that was only used in small numbers by the Chinese and Dutch East Indies (basically, cannon fodder to the Japanese).

Supposing some of the aircraft were impounded by the US (which happened with some other aircraft, life the Vultee P-66 and North American P-64), they might have looked like this:

And, if some had found their way to France, they might have looked something like this one in the markings of GC1/5:

Again as with the A-10B profile, I did not draw the line art for this, just colored/highlighted/shaded/edited/modified/etc.
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Royal Australian Air Force:

Flygvapnet (Swedish Air Force):

JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

bah... lets see some P-40 Warhawks and some Mustangs already!

Short Fuse Sally!!!! Wink
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not bad. I second the P-40, but decline on the Mustang. It is too overdone IMO. Maybe some PBY's or a couple of Hellcats. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'll see what I can dig up - just depends if I can find a nice and clean high-resolution drawing to use as a basis. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any good Super Bug drawings so far Sad
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

An Ilmavoimat (Finnish Air Force) CW-21B, in regular and winter camouflage:

Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Going back a few more years to the Great War...

Smile
JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

lol @ snoopy : )
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:28 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Now, coming back to the present (or at least, the recent past) - here is the MiG 1.42 (aka 1.44), which at one point was referred to as the "MiG-35." That designation has since been assigned to a development of the MiG-29M2. I'm keeping the MiG-35 designation for this what-if, and using the NATO reporting name of "Flatpack."

Indian Air Force

(new) Iraqi Air Force

Polish Air Force

Sri Lanka Air Force

I found some nice drawings of a Hellcat, Catalina and several Mustangs and P-40's. No luck with the Super Bug, but I did find an F/A-18C that I have some ideas for. Probably have something next week.
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Three Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force 'Flatpacks':

Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:24 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

A pair of Egyptian Air Force MiG-35's:

(F6F Hellcat almost ready...)
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:24 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here's a Finnish Air Force MiG-35, complete with nose art:

...and, premiering exclusively at the DBB.com, the Grumman F6F-5 Hellcat. This is what a Hellcat might have looked like if it was flown by the US Army Air Force:

Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Three People's Liberation Army Air Force 'Flatpacks:'

...and a Royal Air Force F6F-5 Hellcat:

Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

A pair of South American MiG-35's:

Brazil

Venezuela

..and another Hellcat, this time from Taiwan:

Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:11 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

...and a pair of Slovakian MiG-35's:

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic