Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > DBB Distributed Computing > New CUDA driver Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

NVIDIA released a new CUDA reference driver, 180.60. Driver is newer than the latest official driver (180.48 ) and doesn't contain PhysX (if you want it you can get PhysX here.) 180.60 does reduce the CPU load of FAH but increases GPU load silghtly (~+2C on my system). It allowed me to run the Deino SMP client on the same machine in it's native setting (using 4 cores) w/ only minor loss of PPD on the GPU client Smile

I have not yet tested the 180.xx series driver w/ games since my game comp still runs 178.24. Overall consens is that the 180 series driver is quite stable tho.
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:46 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm still only running the GPU client with 178.24 driver. So this is stable for you, running the SMP client as well? I may add that to my gaming box (which is really just a FAH box most of the time right now) when I get the time at some point.

Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yes, seems to work fine w/ 180.60 (runs D3 just peachy BTW. Has still the black screen bug unfortunately), GPU2 6.20r1 and Deino SMP 6.23r1. It's a bit tricky to install tho:

1. set the GPU2 client to "slightly higher" priority in its config (it's recommended to do that anyway BTW).

2. get the 6.22 SMP client here. I used the Deino SMP client (more stable.)

3. install the SMP client according to this (MPICH client install here). Notes: do not rename the FAH exe file as suggested in the guide, it'll mess things up. Also, do not install the client as a service.

4. get the drop-in 6.23r1 SMP client here and replace the one from the 6.22 packet.
isaac
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So i installed cude 2.0 and unreal looks the same... i guess i have to install unreal related cuda apps for my 8800...
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

CUDA is not game related.. ;P
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:10 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hm, looks like it takes a little more time than just throwing the SMP client alongside my GPU client. I may not be able to get to this until after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the info, Gren!

Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
CUDA is not game related.. ;P

yes it is... it can do what ever you want... to a limit.
You should read about physx..
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

CUDA is CUDA, PhysX is PhysX. We are in the Distributed Computing forum, feel freee to start up folding@home. Else get the UT 3 PhysX mod and STFU. Razz
View previous topic :: View next topic