Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > The DBB Gallery > Model 54 Jethawk Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:49 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I was bored at work one day, so I drew this fictional fighter prototype in Autocad, then colored/shaded/etc. in Paint Shop Pro:

isaac
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Looks nice.
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:15 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks. Here's a two-seat interceptor version of the Jethawk, the Model 54B:

Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

CAD is pretty cool - nice to see someone putting it to less mundane usage than I do! Construction details are boring. Jets are cool!

isaac
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Is this based on an existing plane? Is a percentage of this copied? If not then it's impressive.
JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

freakin sweet...you should be inventing model airplanes!...Test these designs!

very nice
Smile
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
CAD is pretty cool - nice to see someone putting it to less mundane usage than I do! Construction details are boring. Jets are cool!

Exactly! Smile
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

isaac wrote:
Is this based on an existing plane? Is a percentage of this copied? If not then it's impressive.

No, it's fictional. I wasn't really thinking of any particular airplane when I was drawing it, I just wanted something that looked like a 1950's jet fighter of some sort. I've been "into" military aircraft for a long time, so I suppose my subconscious could have mixed and matched bits and pieces of various aircraft and re-gurgitated them as this. I think it looks a little bit like the Lockheed XF-90, and it does have some features borrowed from other planes - the FFAR launcher on the Model 54A is similar to the one on the F-86D, and the all-moving tail is similar to the Buccaneer's. But, I wasn't really thinking about any of those when I started drawing it...
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

JBOMB wrote:
freakin sweet...you should be inventing model airplanes!...Test these designs!

very nice
Smile

Thanks! I don't have any detailed knowledge of aerodynamics, so I have no idea if it would fly or not.
JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

it would.....how well is what has yet to be determined..you kinda go from there...center of gravity, wing shape and size...etc...

with todays technology taking your design from computer to foam cutter is very doable....not that yer now off to go do that...but im just sayin....very cool though Smile
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:48 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I suppose I could start out with something basic, like one of those old "2-D" balsa wood models - the kind I used to get from the local 7-11 when I was a kid Smile
Flatlander
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Updated the Model 54B. This is the second prototype, used for weapons development - initially in unpainted natural metal (other than day-glo orange high visibility markings); one drop tank, four GAR-8 Sidewinders and two GAR-1 Falcons.

isaac
Hotshot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That is looking so good!!!
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

That's awesome.
View previous topic :: View next topic