Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > Textures look like crap Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

OK heres some screenies. The original screeny does not show the problem very well so I totally tweaked the contrast so you could see it better. The textures especially in shadowed areas look blotchy and just generally crappy.

Running OpenGL. Radeon x1950xt. LGE W2252 in 4:3 mode. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Post your command line.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

-deadzone0 0.0 -deadzone1 0.0 -nointro -nooutragelogo -nomusic -nosparkles -nopentium3 -playermessages -framecap 0 -vsync -nomultibmp

Now I was just in Vanders Revenge and that looked much better??

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Command line doesn't have anything that could cause it (-nosparkles is redundant when -nopentium3 is included, since -nopentium3 automatically disables sparkles, motion blur, and SSE geometry acceleration also -vsync doesn't work on many configurations, use the video driver itself to override).

Make sure the texture filtering for descent 3 in your video driver application profiles is set to quality and not performance. Also enabling anisotropic filtering to at least 8x or more should improve how textures look from a distance, might as well turn on 4x FSAA while you are at it since that card should have no problem at all keeping a decent framerate in D3 at those settings.

You could also try a couple other command line options to diagnose it, like -forcelightmaps and -himem to make sure D3 isn't detecting your machine specs incorrectly.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I usually have it at 6xAA and 16XAF, the AF was off to see if that made any dif. I tried re-detection in the video tab and the speed tab then made my adjustments in game as usual. I find forcing vsync in the driver, command line and game works for me. My CPU is an e6600 do I need -nopentium3? Everything in the driver options is set to the highest possible (as far as I know) for D3:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Try switching between 16 & 32-bit color... D3 is a little strange about color sometimes.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil wrote:
Try switching between 16 & 32-bit color... D3 is a little strange about color sometimes.
Pointless and impossible in OpenGL, D3 does not support 32 bit color in OpenGL. If you try to switch, you can tell from the dithering that it is still in 16 bit color. You have to use Glide or D3D to get 32bit color.

Ferno
BDSM Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

looks like the gamma's just cranked.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ferno wrote:
looks like the gamma's just cranked.

read my initial post

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i dunno man, looks pretty normal to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

New nVidia cards/drivers don't dither anymore, hence the blocky textures. Advantage is that the pic is a lot sharper.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:26 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Grendel wrote:
New nVidia cards/drivers don't dither anymore, hence the blocky textures. Advantage is that the pic is a lot sharper.

He is using a Radeon x1950xt though...

Hunter
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:46 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sorry to dig, but I'm having this same trouble. I'm using one of the latest Geforce cards and getting this same texturing problem. Did you ever find a solution for this? According to the above poster something about new cards not using dithering is affecting it, does that mean I can never get it to look smooth anymore?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ferno wrote:
i dunno man, looks pretty normal to me.
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:44 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yep. Looks pretty normal.
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Suncho wrote:
Yep. Looks pretty normal.

Im sorry to hear that your D3 has always been fkd up, but mine did not previously look like that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What video card and settings were you using previously?
Do_Checkor
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sorry to revive this again but apparently there has never been a solution it seems. I've seen the problem myself on the latest LAN and tried to fix it for that guy with a new Nvidia card. I was not successfull even though I can say that I have been fumbeling with NV driver settings and commandline switches for years now.

Have you guys ever tried to add "-nomultitexture" to your commandline?

I'm pretty curious about this.

And a word to the blind: It is NOT normal and it doesn't look like "normal" Smile

cheers!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

From what I gather, it may not be fixable:

Grendel wrote:
New nVidia cards/drivers don't dither anymore, hence the blocky textures.

Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:39 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

do not cut my post which was valid in this thread when moving the rest of the discussion here

Your post had nothing to do with Rook's original problem. You decided to give him separate advice, which happened not to be on topic.

-Suncho