Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Post your guitars (split) Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:13 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

d3jake wrote:
The buzzing seems to have died a bit... The strings sound good, perhaps it's just the fact that my old strings were sound that the sound I'm used to is "wrong"....

Would you suggest I find a luthier that is from a large chain like guitar center, or more like a smaller non-chain store..?

I don't have a winder, though when I was winding in the new strings to put them under tension, I realized why people buy 'em. When I was tightening the new strings, I pulled the string all of the way though, guestimated an inch on the other side of the tuning lug, then I pushed it back, and wound the string, that way there was a few wraps around the peg.

And yes.... I had taken all of the strings off at once... At the very least I had a chance to clean off the neck of all of the junk I had been putting down while I've been playing.

I would find a luthier from a small store. They are more vested in their service and probably actually own the place. You may pay slightly more for the service, but it will be better.

If you take all of the strings off at once, you need to have it secured in a rest. They will keep the proper tension on the neck while all the strings are missing.

Maybe I am too careful, but I treat my guitars as if they are made of eggshells and wired with tissue paper. I guess it's 'cause I can't afford to replace broken crap.

Another tidbit...do you have a guitar stand? If not, make sure when you lean your guitar against something you put the strings facing toward the lean. Like the front of the head against the wall, or the strings against the edge of the bed. This will also help hold the tension.
]
Good luck, and keep playing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I know of a small store near where I attend college. I'll try to get over to him when I get a chance.

I do have a stand. Since I do, is your advice to then to just rest the guitar with strings facing out, letting the backside of the neck rest on the curve of the stand?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:12 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yeah, just use the stand as it was designed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:47 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Possibly my next guitar purchase.

Played one the other day and just about stole it. I'd like to save the cash and order it from the BC Rich custom shop so I can add what I want. It would look better with the custom shop's big "R" on the head anyway.

Floyd Rose
EMG 81/85 pups
Grover micro tuners
24 jumbo frets
25.5" scale
2 volume 1 tone knobs
3-way pup selector
maybe an evil green painted bezel?

suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah...get a Martin acoustic instead. Razz
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:
Yeah...get a Martin acoustic instead. Razz

Acoustic? hmmm nope. have a nice one all ready

Need another electric to keep that A# tuning in. I'm tired of changing strings and bridge alterations to keep in tune.

But seriously, Martins are the epitome of acoustics IMO, just not what I need.

Death Metal requirements do not allow for the use of "grandpa" instruments. LOL (for those Dethklok fans)

The V shape is by far the most metal of all body shapes. Gotta keep up appearances eh? \m/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Haha! I really "was" joking. I can't offer an opinion other than the fact that it looks mean as hell and is certainly fitted out for shredding.
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I knowed you was jokin the whole time.

It's for sure a shredder. Still looking at other options, but this is still #1 so far. Looking at an older Gibson Explorer that needs some serious work. If I can talk them down in price I'll get it. They want too much for a broken instrument. They are retards trying to make money on the name brand...it's seriously fucked though. Broken tail piece. Crack in the headstock. scraped up fretboard. missing knobs. no tuners. hasn't had strings on it in at least 3 years. They wanted $700...LOL kiss my azz! maybe $200 max

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:25 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

my bro used to have a gibson V and the damn thing was downright uncomfortable. I was at GC a while back and had an Ibanez Prestige in my hands and it just felt so nice. Again, I have limited experience with electric. When I do play my strat, it's usually Open G with a slide. But, those odd shaped guitars never appealed to me in terms of comfort, which is important to me. My son has an Epi Les Paul. Nice guitar and all, but shit...sooo heavy.

But that damn Ibanez was so frickin' sexy it made me want to manufacture/rationalize a need for it. But, then again, I think it was over a grand...

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic