Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Hobby Lobby > Post your guitars (split) Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:01 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Edit by Pun: Thought I'd split this and move it to Hobby Lobby. Interesting enough to merit its own thread. Post your guitars, people, or whatever you play...drum kit, keys, etc.

Don't you just fucking love guitars? I love all of 'em!!

Here's my baby, Taylor 710ce

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Fixed that image for ya, Z. Pretty guitar. I love the shape of the bridge and the inlay around the sound hole. I don't know if I'm diggin' the shape of the pickguard though.

Mine. Yamaha FG series. Fender HSS Fat Strat w/ sunburst paint job.

Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:51 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I like the Strat...the HSS American made?
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:41 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
I like the Strat...the HSS American made?

Sadly, no. But it plays and sounds excellent. I had a setup done on it recently which made worlds of difference.

Is that just an EQ on your Taylor or does it have a tuner in it too?
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just an onboard EQ...I use a pedal for tuning, best investment that can be made.

What's the rig look like?
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:33 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Just a little 30W Marshall DFX.
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

LOW LIGHT FORGIVE ME

American '91 Tele plus

Takamine - with tuner and EQ
d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I has one of those...

I really want to learn how to play it, I know a couple chords, and I've tried out the intro to "Folsom Prison Blues", but the last part screws me up... I'm reasonably sure that my fingers don't bend the way necessary, though I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

nobody else wants to show off their stuff? Eric? Tommy? Let's see yer shit!
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:23 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Schecter.
Diamond Series Vampire
006 Deluxe
Dual hummies, 3 way select, tone, volume.
GHS Boomers MED HVY: 12,15,24,32,40,52

Fender
Stage 100 DSP
12" Celestion
6 built in FX : flange, chorus, phaser, tremolo, vibratone, delay
6 built in reverb : plate, hall, arena, spring, ambient, room
2 channel(3 really) 1 fat clean tone, 1 fuzzy overdrive, and one super boosted rip your head off OD

never been in a place to have it louder than level 3

one dunlop tortex pick: orangey one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:32 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo wrote:

Me too.

HaAGY
cock-bronzer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:41 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

got bass?

My amps:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy/2230617088/in/set-72157603822531907/

The recording set up (5 channels ftw)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy/2229823663/in/set-72157603822531907/

Rig:
2x10" + 15" cabs. Main is the big 'un on the right hand side, a '94 Trace Elliot V4. recently retubed with JJ's mmmmm... The other is a Trace GP12SMX. best compressor/EQ in the world!

The guitar rig:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy/2230617276/in/set-72157603822531907/

Guitar player's Fender Hot Rod Deluex. It'll sing when I makwe him get good valves... He uses american Fender Strats and an 80's CIJ Tele.

Basses: I have 3 Gibsons. Only have action shots and they all fairly look the same anyway Wink
The Ripper is my newest. She's from the original year of production in '73.
I have a G3 which is a '75 and is pretty bad shape atm.
And my main bass is 'The Grabber' which is a '76 and is built like a tank.

The Ripper: http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy/2229824577/in/set-72157603822531907/

Here's one of the Grabber from a video shoot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy/2064382898/in/set-72157603297313485/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo wrote:

I use GHS 11's on the tele and orange dunlop picks. TONE BAYBAY!

...and Haggy I like the picture of you and the balloons.
:)
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:23 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TheWhat wrote:
Perediablo wrote:

I use GHS 11's on the tele and orange dunlop picks. TONE BAYBAY!
Smile

Yes TONE is the key. My bridge is so jacked up to support the tuning I use. It's tuned to C#, with an occasional quick 1/2 step drop tune to C. It'll really growl when I want it to. I soooo want a locking Floyd Rose, but it would take some serious routing and carving to attach it to this body. I do love the weight distribution of my Schecter, I'd hate to carve it up too much. Also looking to invest in one of the new "Dime-bucker" pickups. If you haven't seen em check em out.

great tone here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Tizzite:

Gibson Something (Three letter acronym I would recognize), some Mandolin

Gibson L-6 Electric c. 1976, Fender Stratocaster (not Squire), Fender Bass (Jazz Bass neck, Prescision Base body)

Spider II Line 6 Amp (Pedal not shown) with Really expensive Microphone), Alesis DM5 Electric Drums

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:20 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nice collection! And erm...nice AXE body spray. Razz
Zuruck
Ace

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Perediablo, if tone was key to you, you would not be tuning your guitars the way you do.

Tuning a guitar as flat as you do, and then adding one of those superhot dimebag pickups is a waste. All you will get is an extremely overdriven, flat sound in some random obscure tuning so that everything you play has that chunk-chunk sound. Be nicer to your instruments, and to everyone else's ears Smile
TheWhat
Insane!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Dakatsu - that gibson acoustic and the strat with the tortoiseshell pick guard are making my loins throb.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:53 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:
Nice collection! And erm...nice AXE body spray. Razz

Heck, can't you play one of those? Don't even need a pick...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:48 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I bought a Line6 Spider III, returned it two days later. No depth, no ambiance to it at all. Sticking with a

(The knobs are how they were when I pulled it out of the box...)

Where're my guitar pictures..can't find them online, swore I put them up at some point. I'll get to it later, when home.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zuruck wrote:
Perediablo, if tone was key to you, you would not be tuning your guitars the way you do.

Tuning a guitar as flat as you do, and then adding one of those superhot dimebag pickups is a waste. All you will get is an extremely overdriven, flat sound in some random obscure tuning so that everything you play has that chunk-chunk sound. Be nicer to your instruments, and to everyone else's ears Smile

Yes THAT tone is important to me. The tuning may be a little obscure, but I can achieve the sound I want with it. It's not all chunk-chunk. The overdriven sound I want to get with those pickups is more for the screaming leads, very far from those chunk-chunks you speak of. My guitar does not always stay in that tuning either. Currently it is tuned standard, so the bridge is adjusted for normal tension. I hate changing it, so it'll stay where it is until I feel like fuckin with it again. I would love to have more than one electric so's I can keep them tuned one way each.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

My Alvarez (originally played by my mother in the early '70s). I should pick it up more than once every few months; it has a good tone for such a rarely-played instrument.

DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Started taking lessons for the first time in decades. Thought it was time for a freshie.

JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

oooh....purdy!
Perediablo
Ace

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nice looking guitfiddle there vinnypoo!

looks a little familiar.

nice.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:36 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks, man. I love it. I wanted a slim-bodied A/E. Played every damn one at GC and that one called my name. Nothing like a freshie to rekindle your interest in the hobby.
LONGBOW_GHOST
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:13 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a bass player myself. Got an 80s model Charvel. Great bass, wouldn't trade it for anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

hehe Vince got the same AE I got like 3 years ago..... Remember my blue one? Great cheap guitar.

Ace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

This may end up being an incredibly stupid question, but who better to ask it? =P

I just restrung my acoustic yesterday. I wanted to wait until the new strings got used to being under tension before clipping off the excess string. If I tune up my guitar and try to play a simple chord progression I hear a buzz, not completely unlike the buzz you can get when a string isn't fingered properly. Is this due to the excess string length sticking out? I'd rather not clip the strings and find out I was wrong...

On a side note: For some reason the new strings are considerably stiffer than the ~3 year old strings I took off......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

you might have put too light of strings on your guitar, which is causing the neck to flex in the wrong direction, which is in turn causing one or more strings to "buzz" against the fret wires. Cheap option would be to try to step up a size in strings, or you could pay a luthier 50-100 to do a set up on your guitar.
d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Could I adjust that bar that runs through the neck of my guitar? Would that help things?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You could, but it's not that simple. I imagine Perediablo or TheWhat could counsel you further along those lines...
roid
Inane!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

also you could play around with the bridge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

d3jake wrote:
Could I adjust that bar that runs through the neck of my guitar? Would that help things?

I wouldn't mess with the truss rod if I were you. It is really easy to mess everything up.

I would go with a heavier set of strings to start with. (you should really change them more often to keep them fresh) If that doesn't cure your problem I would google "fret buzz fix". or "truss rod adjustments". Personally I would see a luthier.

Changing your strings...did you take them all off before putting your new ones on? That really messes up the tension. Strings should be replaced one at a time until all are replaced. I usually start with D or G and alternate until finished. Also do not pull the string all the way through before wrapping it around machine peg. Get yourself a string winder, they are cheap (like $1 or $2) to help take out the slack. There are some luthiers that have put some instructional videos on youtube. Stringing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The buzzing seems to have died a bit... The strings sound good, perhaps it's just the fact that my old strings were sound that the sound I'm used to is "wrong"....

Would you suggest I find a luthier that is from a large chain like guitar center, or more like a smaller non-chain store..?

I don't have a winder, though when I was winding in the new strings to put them under tension, I realized why people buy 'em. When I was tightening the new strings, I pulled the string all of the way though, guestimated an inch on the other side of the tuning lug, then I pushed it back, and wound the string, that way there was a few wraps around the peg.

And yes.... I had taken all of the strings off at once... At the very least I had a chance to clean off the neck of all of the junk I had been putting down while I've been playing.