Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > I want my machine to do work Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:39 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

These are my system properties according to D3 setup:

CPU Type: i1586, MMX:Yes

CPU Speed: 2000MHz

Total RAM: 508 MB

RAM Transfer Rate: 1693 MB/s

VRAM Transfer Rate: 354 MB/s

3D Grafix Acc: Open GL - Intel 845G

Look, I know this system is archaic at best but were not all wealthy so don't poke fun at sht you know nothing about. If you don't have help for me, please don't post here. I'm trying to improve my gameplay and I'm wondering if anyone can translate this information into layman's terms and better explain to me how I can improve my in-game experience (notwithstanding MY CONNECTION)Razz ...based on the info posted above.

:preemptive salutations and gratitude:
Testiculese
Insane!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:34 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Is that on-board video? On-board video can be a throttle. What's your framerate? (Type "frametime" in-game)

One of the worst enemies to gaming is running applications. How many tray icons do you have next to the clock on the start bar?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Testiculese wrote:
Is that on-board video?

umm, not quite sure what that means.. Embarassed

Testiculese wrote:
What's your framerate?

my frametime shows between 58 and 61 during in-game fighting, however, I do have the "-framecap 60" command enabled.

Testiculese wrote:
How many tray icons do you have next to the clock on the start bar??

volume control and video card control (gives grafix options and such). I always shut down other programs while playing.
Testiculese
Insane!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You can clear that framecap option, you don't need it unless you are a mouser. If you do mouse, then set it to 90 or 100.

on-board video means that the video card is integrated with the motherboard, it's not an add-on card that can be pulled and replaced. If you look at the back of the machine, the video cable should be plugged in up near the kb/mouse and usb ports if it's on-board. It would otherwise be plugged in towards the bottom, where there are several slots (most of them will probably be blank plates, though that depends).

You have a 2ghz machine, it's not archaic by any means unless you want to play Crysis...the vidcard looks a bit slow, but only if you want to play newer games. D3 should run fine on that setup.

One thing to check is when you start d3, before you click Play, click Setup instead, go to the network spot. You aren't on dialup, right? Set it to LAN. Set both options to the best entries. That might quiet John down a bit Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Testiculese wrote:
If you do mouse, then set it to 90 or 100.

yes, I'm a certified "mouser", but other players have told me to set it at 60 (advice from trusted friends). I was telling them that my fusion was misfiring (it would fire of it's own accord while I was charging it).

Testiculese wrote:
on-board video means that the video card is integrated with the motherboard...

so I believe mine is integrated then since plug is up by mouse/kb plugs. It's plugged in right beside one like it labeled: |o|o| <--whatever that means?

Testiculese wrote:
You have a 2ghz machine, it's not archaic by any means.....

Shocked ty Smile

Testiculese wrote:
D3 should run fine on that setup.

great! that's all I'm worried about Smile

Testiculese wrote:
One thing to check is when you start d3, before you click Play, click Setup instead, go to the network spot. You aren't on dialup, right? Set it to LAN. Set both options to the best entries.

gotcha! I did have it set to a lower setting because of the wireless connect tho'...fixt! Wink

Testiculese wrote:
That might quiet John down a bit Wink

hehe I see you been doin ur homework Smile

hey Testi', just wanted to say thank you very much for goin outta ur way to help me. Much appreciated Smile

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:32 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

willkill wrote:
Testiculese wrote:
on-board video means that the video card is integrated with the motherboard...

so I believe mine is integrated then since plug is up by mouse/kb plugs. It's plugged in right beside one like it labeled: |o|o| <--whatever that means?

Testi's right... that onboard video is probably holding your game's performance back more than anything. If you can get your machine's model number, people here could recommend a good cheap graphics card for you. (Even assuming it's an older-model AGP card, you can probably still find a decent one on something like Craigslist.)

Ace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Foil wrote:
Testi's right... that onboard video is probably holding your game's performance back more than anything.

Interesting, I was thinking the opposite about the onboard video. So it's actually hindering performance? How bad??

Foil wrote:
If you can get your machine's model number, people here could recommend a good cheap graphics card for you.

Well I was'nt quite sure what "machine's model number " meant Laughing so I went off the assumption that you were referring to the HD. In which case, the info is (please forgive any irrelevant info, I wanted to cover any missed questions, if possible):
Western Digital
WD Caviar
Enhanced IDE Hard Drive
Drive parameters: LBA 39102336 20.0 GB
Model #: WD200BB-75AUA1
Date: 13 JUL 2001
DCM: DSBBEGHB

Made in Malaysia

This info is on power supply/converter:
Model #: PS-5161-1D1
..then info on input/output
..blah,blah

Made in China

Foil wrote:
Even assuming it's an older-model AGP card, you can probably still find a decent one on something like Craigslist..

Now, as far as that's concerned, I have one open memory slot and two PCI or AGP slots. I'm not sure what type they are...

..and thanks for jumpin' in Foil Smile
Testiculese
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:10 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Onboard video is usually only good for displaying windows, no games at all, but if the mobo is newish, then it should have enough power to move D3 along. If you're getting 60fps steady while fighting, then it ought to be ok. You would still notice a difference with a newer card, though. The rest of your specs are fine for D3.

He meant the model of computer. Dell XP1784? Gateway something-or-other?

PCI slots are white, AGP is brown.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm LOL here. Sorry for laughing but there is a good reason...

Why would you expect an integrated video card on a motherboard which probably also includes integrated sound (and likely cost a maximum of $50 for the entire motherboard) to be BETTER than a dedicated video card which probably costs much more than the entire motherboard?

my 3 suggestions:

If you're on XP Upgrade RAM (add more memory) to 2-3 gigabytes.
Get a better video card.
If on XP (again) Use the task manager to check your total running processes (Processes tab) after startup is complete, and post the # here. 30 or so is an ok number. 80+ is bad. My work computer is currently showing 35 processes, including work apps and this browser window.

willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:26 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Testiculese wrote:
Onboard video is usually only good for displaying windows, no games at all, but if the mobo is newish, then it should have enough power to move D3 along. If you're getting 60fps steady while fighting, then it ought to be ok. You would still notice a difference with a newer card, though. The rest of your specs are fine for D3..

ok

Testiculese wrote:
He meant the model of computer. Dell XP1784? Gateway something-or-other?.

Embarassed Optiplex GX260sorry

Testiculese wrote:
PCI slots are white, AGP is brown.

my machine has one of each then

Bun! Shocked Smile
Bunyip wrote:
If you're on XP Upgrade RAM (add more memory) to 2-3 gigabytes.

ok...but just so you know, my computer store guy says I don't need it...what's up with that?

Bunyip wrote:
Get a better video card..

will do next week
Bunyip wrote:
Use the task manager to check your total running processes.

total is thirty as I type this

Thanks again fellas Smile
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:50 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Your computer guy is misinformed. I would say that 512MB is the bare minimum for WinXP to be functional...

But WinXP runs like crap with less than 1GB RAM, and 2GB of RAM is noticably superior. That third GB of RAM will speed things up a lot less than the first or the second - but it can make a difference in a multi-task environment, such as ... gaming + voice chat, although that third GB is really optional, it's nice to have Smile

Testiculese
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I snickered too, but remember, willkill isn't about tech, so he probably assumed integrated would be great, like anything else integrated in the appliance world (Ice dispenser integrated into front of fridge? Awesome!)

512 is pretty low. 1 GB would be a good spot for you. D3 doesn't need much, and if you keep your services down (under 30, waaay under 30!) then 1gb will be more than enough. I played my best D3 on an AMD 800mhz proc with 512mb ram. (And a Voodoo3!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:11 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

According to the specs for his Optiplex GX260, his max RAM is 2Gb, and he has a 4X AGP slot.

So it looks like you can upgrade your RAM and vid card, WK. Cool

Ace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:35 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeh, your right Bun, he was misinformed...by me Embarassed
I originally told him I would be doing nothing other than playing D3, so his advice was to keep it simple. My bad. Still, he knew it had the XP OS. Confused

Anyway, that's an awesome link of info there Foil..GLO

So, now what do I do? Go to "Craigslist" and make a wish list? Smile
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Go to www.newegg.com and find video cards and memory that match your computer's specification and your money =)

d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

craigslist.org I believe. You just watch the computer parts section of your area for a x4 AGP video card. And also for the type of RAM that your computer can handle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Want new, go NewEgg.

Need a good $$ deal and can handle used, try CraigsList.

Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

willkill wrote:

Thats a serial port. Smile The 10101 stands for binary data, because its sent one bit at a time.
View previous topic :: View next topic