Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > Keyboard doesn't work in Descent3 Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cpkppp
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:52 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

As the subject says, keyboard doesn't work on Descent3. I can skip the Dolby Surround movie and Tanrum screen by hitting the Esc key, but after that any of keys doesn't work. However Alt+Tab and Windows key work as an exception. I can't enter the number of level at loading and I always start the game from level 1. Also I can't make a new profile by the trouble.

Yes, I could use my keyboard at first. I installed the game then a few months passed. 1 week ago, I suddenly took it into my head to play it with Wiimote and Nunchuk and found the keyboard is dead in game. I had already installed PPJoy and GlovePIE for Wiimote when I installed Descent3, so they would not the cause. I think a driver of Wacom tablet is the cause, which I have installed after the install of Descent3. I have uninstalled the driver but the problem still exists.

If you have any advice for this tell me that.

<Descent3>
D3 NOCD Version 1.4 Patch applied ("1.4" appears at the title)

<System>
Windows XP SP1
DirectX 9.C
Geforce7600GS
1G RAM

<Software>
PPJoy
GlovePIE
Wacom tablet
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:06 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

If you haven't already gotten it working, I guess I have a few questions.

1. You've given examples of how the keyboard does not work in the menu. Does it also not work when you're flying around in the game? For example, can you use it to accelerate your ship?

2. Can you remember what, if any software or drivers you installed between the last time you remember your keyboard was working and hte time you discovered it wasn't?

3. Does your keyboard work in other games?
Cpkppp
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:29 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Suncho wrote:
If you haven't already gotten it working, I guess I have a few questions.

1. You've given examples of how the keyboard does not work in the menu. Does it also not work when you're flying around in the game? For example, can you use it to accelerate your ship?

2. Can you remember what, if any software or drivers you installed between the last time you remember your keyboard was working and hte time you discovered it wasn't?

3. Does your keyboard work in other games?

Thanks for your help. The matter has been settled Smile

dgVoodoo makes the keyboard problem, which is one of Glide wrappers. When eighter DirectX or OpenGL are choosed, the keyboard works in game. I use dgVoodoo for other Glide games and take it for granted that it would work well on Descent3.

OpenGL is smoother than DirectX on my system, tough it leaves main.exe in process. I like Glide atomosphere to OpenGL but I have to use the latter.

I put the answer anyways.

A1. No, any of functions of the game doesn't work. It seems that Descent3 doesn't recognize the input of the keyboard at all because the input of a virtual keyboard doesn't work too, which is done by an input emulator "GlovePIE".

A2. I don't remember the exact order of what I have installed but I think the first software relates with this is Descent3 and others are like the below.

1. Descent3
2. dgVoodoo
3. PPJoy Virtual joystick 1
4. GlovePIE
5. 106 Japanese Keyboard driver
(I exchanged my English keyboard with new Japanese one. XP has a bug and 106J keyboard is recognized as 101/102 English keyboard. So I had to install the driver.)
6. Wacom tablet driver

A3. Yes, it works.
BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I came across this on my last format

D3 has a oddball issue with 2 separate groups of more than one device of the same type using different interfaces.

I came across it when my dual joysticks could not be seen by descent 3 only

why I had 1 usb keyboard plugged in (normal) 1 ps2 keyboard plugged in (to do work in bios after a CMOS reset ) and 3 usb joysticks.

window joystick.cpl would see the devices fine, other games would see the devices fine... totally ignored the ps2 keyboard... then i was ...could it be... reboot pull ps2 keyboard...BAM all was fine

odd but true

btw it's not the tablet, i have one of those too no problems

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:02 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I had another problem about input devices on Descent3.

I use Wiimote as Bluetooth HID device on XP and the stack "Bluetooth Stack for Windows by
Toshiba" always made a wrong mapping as an axis "J2-X AXIS" because it has control-ID2 and is shown as "Bluetooth HID Port" on control panel. I don't know why it is given priority over PPJoy which has ID1.

So I had to uninstall it to do proper config. I didn't use other joystick at that time, and I used GlovePIE to bind keyboard as joystick and it worked.
View previous topic :: View next topic