Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > Omega Driver Incompatible with D3? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesusfr3ak4evr
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Background Info:
Dell D600
1.6 GHz Pentium M processor
512 MB PC2100
Radeon 9000 32MB DDR Mobility
Catalyst Version: Omega 6.05
Omega Driver v3.8.252

Descent 3 cmd line settings: -nointro -framecap 60 -nomultibmp -nooutragelogo -vsync -width <1400> -height <1050> -z32bit

Problem: Everything is fine until I enter a level/map. I get blackness with a couple colored lights. I shoot a flare or move around and it's like I'm creating artifacts in my screen. There is clearly some sort of incompatibility going on due to the drivers.

Also, I tried the latest ATI drivers for my card and got the same problem. Perhaps something about the newer driver causes the problem which is evident with both the Omega and the original ATI drivers.

Possible solution: go back to my old drivers that worked (I forget which version it was, but I can just go back in history).

Anyone know anything about my problem? I believe I received a similar problem when I first played D3 on my Dad's Dell C640 with like an 8MB or 16MB video card. I forget how I solved it though. I wish I were as smart as I was when I was 10. Wink
Foil
2*pi*r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Those old Radeon 9xxx series cards/chipsets had a lot of OpenGL issues with D3, as I recall...

Did you try running it in Direct3D, to see if that helps?

Ace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Direct3d works at standard resolutions, however it minimizes the window with respect to my desktop resolution (1400x1050). The performance with d3d is not satisfactory to me. I'm going to go to the library and download older drivers until I find the latest version that works with D3. All of my other games work fine--even D1/2.
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

jesusfr3ak4evr wrote:
Direct3d works at standard resolutions, however it minimizes the window with respect to my desktop resolution (1400x1050).

Did you hit the '=' (key left to backspace) multiple times (in game) ? You have to do that once you set high res' w/ the command line.

Ace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

heh I can't believe I didn't think of that. '=' works. However, the performance is still nothing like what I get with OpenGL. I've downloaded two earlier versions of the Omega Radeon drivers and will test those.

edit: I tried three different omega drivers. Same result with each. I fixed my problem by finding a cd I had burned with D600 drivers from Dell. I had downloaded them from Matrix a while back.
Sedwick
Hotshot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:16 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Oh, ok. At first I thought we were talking about an instantaneous, long-range, wavy lightning bolt that drains your opponent's shields, disorients them, takes a second to reload, and kills dogfighting Smile