Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > DBB Distributed Computing > Folding on the PS3 Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radman
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:55 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I've been looking at other PS3 folders and it looks like they are averaging about 3 to 4 WU's/day for around 900 to 1000 points/day. Not bad for something that dosn't cost much more than a good CPU.

I've been looking at Blu Ray players for my 52" samsung DLP and pretty much came to the conclusion that it's ridiculous to buy just a player for the same cost as a PS3 which will do lot's more. My daughter I guess is a xbox 360 fan so she hates me for saying I want to get a PS3. Oh well. I'd be buying it for 1) the Blu Ray disk and 5 free movie offer going on right now. 2) the Folding@Home 3) Internet in the living room without subscription costs 4) maybe a game when GT4 or GTHD comes out Razz

Anyway, just throwing this out there in case someone with a PS3 happens across this posts and didn't know it could fold for for us. I know all the active folders know about this. We are getting passed up weekly by teams with PS3 folders... It would be nice to have a few PS3's folding for the team.
STRESSTEST
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:40 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I've been curious to see how they do in real world activities here. No one here is using one that I know of, so if you get one it would be cool to see the results. I'm also very curious to see how folding on the ATI GPUs is working out here too. No one is doing that here that I know of either.

JBOMB - "kinda...cause after you smoke enough bowls you end up realizing you are both 2 idiots jumping around in front of a tv.."
Radman
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:15 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yeah, according to the OS Stats http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats there arn't alot of GPU folders out there.

But if you look at the amout of TFLOPS that small number is producing compared to the others, it really looks like the GPU client is giving the most bang for the buck.
View previous topic :: View next topic