Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Multiplayer > Suncho's Top 40 Players in Descent 3 Circa 11/12/2000 Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:22 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So I guess I used to keep a list of who I thought was the best. This list is off an old text file on my computer.

I even made it onto the list! But I guess i put myself at #26 because I'm so very humble. Wink

1. Birdseye (Asylum)
2. Nirvana (Asylum)
3. Vander/NyQuil (lots of aliases) (Asylum)
4. Fatal/Money ($50,000 Champion)
5. Sandmann
6. KAHA
7. The Rock/MeAn_GrEEn (Asylum)
8. Genghis
9. Mac/D3Mac
10.Readyman
11.DJ-Fuck
12.Sfuzzi
13.Ryujin
14.TWS
15.Barry/Fusion Pimp (lots of aliases) (Asylum)
16.skot
17.Vlider
18.Palzon
19.Skorpion
20.Sick One (Asylum)
21.Darak
22.bash
23.CritterB/Critt
24.Hostile
25.Scratch
26.Suncho
27.Meshac
28.Mousepad
29.Jazzy-Jet
30.Soulja
31.Darktalyn
32.One
33.yabayo/longchimp
34.Solid/Busta
35.Slim_Shady
36.Kyle
37.SpudPuddle
38.CrAcK
39.reddough
40.Wavtrade
Iceman
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:26 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I believe that is the most credible Top X list I have seen yet. Some great players on there ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:31 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You must have been a newbie at the time you made that list, because there is no way Sandmann should be rated that high, since he only picked on newbies. Razz

I submit into evidence an incident that happened while I was picking on team Von by using the alias VonBill after some generic drama event between Von and D3k that I have now forgotten.

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I was a newbie, yes.
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

This one seems to make a lot more sense than the other lists...I even see names that are at the top of the list on PXO.
Iceman
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It may not be perfect but it is pretty danged good relativ e to what I have seen on the other lists.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Krom, Sandmann was pretty good. He basically trained me from scratch. Then he called me a cheater and tried to get me banned from all the servers... Go figure.
JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i think you might have thrown sickone in there as a butt kissing move... Smile
him being such a d3 patriarch and whatnot...cause i was always able to crush him... Smile
TheCope
SPANG!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yea but sickone had a sense of humor which is a hell of a lot more than you can say for most pilots. ;p
JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yeah well then make a funniest pilots list and include him...
but replace his name with mine then in your 5 year old list suncho Wink
TheCope
SPANG!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:01 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

well biggest cock contest ain't panning out for d3 either.
;)
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:05 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What do you mean? I voted for YOU as the biggest ****, Cope Wink

Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I didn't make this list recently and I'm not gonna defend my positions here. I just think it's something interesting to look at from the past. Sandmann helped me a lot so I respected him greatly at the time. This is before any of that weirdness happened.

Honestly I thought it would be from far enough back that nobody would care, but obviously some of the people who aren't on the list have been offended by it. Obviously I didn't include people I didn't know.

Later in this same month I went to my second LAN: Broodfest in Houston. Sfuzzi and I beat Sandmann and Bigrye in the 2v2 tournament and that's when Sandmann started accusing me of stuff. Sandmann might be an ass, but he is very competitive and he was a good D3 pilot. It bothered me that he didn't trust me, but some people are just like that.

In terms of my ego, I seem to remember believing that I was better than 2/3 of the people above me on the list. Then again, I had a high speed connect while most people were still on dialup, so maybe I was trying to adjust for that or something. It's not a reflection of anybody's skill. It's just a reflection of the mind of a fat 17-year old high school slacker. =)

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

LOL...nobodys offended...i just looked at the list and thought..hmm...suncho was new when he made this list..was impressionable...and i just remember crushing sickone...so made the comment about how i thought it was a brown nose move back then....

the rest of that talk was all jokes bro...nobodys mad cause they arent on a 9 year old top 20 suncho list Smile..trust me..
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:08 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

In late 1995 and early 1996 I played the D1 and D2 demos on LAN for hours every weekday between class, during lunch, and after school. Everyone in my school played. The other kids would ban me from their servers because I was so much better. They'd make restricted D2 demo games and then call out their pilot handles to get in. If someone called out "Maverick66," I'd quickly create a pilot named "Maverick66" to sneak in. =D

My friend Andy bought me Kali95 for my 13th birthday on March 18th 1996 so I could play Warcraft II. He gave me a card that spelled out "Happy Birthday, Alex!" spelled out in War2 sheep. I did play some War2 but my school started banning Descent off the computers, and I needed another outlet for my Descent needs.

I played the full versions of Descent and Descent II on Kali from 1996-1998 on a 486 with a 14.4 modem without any sound. I played a lot of D2 CTF and it was doofy. I remember reading Koolbear.com and downloading all my missions from Pooterman's site. Counterstrike level 1 is probably still my favorite level... just because it was the first level in the D2 Demo and I played it all the time.

When the Quake demo came out, my friend Rob showed it to me. I'm like "This is Doom. We have Descent now. You introduced me to Descent!" Needless to say, the guy who originally taught me the ways of the Pyro ended up a ground pounder in the end. =(

In early 1998, when I got my ISDN, the Ascend Pipeline router was not compatible with Kali, so I couldn't play anymore. Luckily it *WAS* compatible with D3 when that came out. I played the first demo as soon as it was released. I had about 5-15fps and I was playing on a 233mhz Pentium MMX with an S3 Virge video card. S3 virge has no alpha rendering support, so all my laser bolts looked like beach balls (opaque halos) and the scorch marks on the walls appeared as ugly white squares. I played on PXO a few times, but needless to say, I didn't do too well. I also went by Wombat and not Suncho. Later there was a MOB-Wombat, but that wasn't me.

For my birthday, March 18th 1999 I used my birthday money to put together a brand new 500Mhz PIII with 256MB of RAM and an nVidia Riva TNT graphics card. Starting in the second half of March, I played in the $50k Phase I tournaments on HEAT.net every night. Genghis won the first Phase I tournament I played in. I also played as many ladder matches as possible and eventually developed a -22 losing streak. But I wouldn't stop. I kept playing. Eventually I became one of the 64 Phase I winners.

My goal was never to win. It was to become the best. If that meant playing people who were impossible to beat, that's what I would do. The problem was that once I started winning, people stopped wanting to play me.

I went to buy D3 from Electronics Boutique on June 15th, 1999 after I saw people popping into chat with the full version. They didn't have it yet. They had a floppy disk version of D1, so I bought that instead.

On Friday June 18th, I finally got Descent 3. There was one problem. The next day I'd be going to Costa Rica for 2 weeks. So what did I do? I played all night. I didn't even try the Pyro. I had been flying the Pyro since D1 and all through the D3 demo. But I said to myself that if I'm good enough, people can't hit me and that if I don't take any damage, it doesn't matter how much shields I have.

Then I was in Costa Rica for 2 weeks.

Then I came back and stuck with my Phoenix, and replaced my trashy TNT card with a Voodoo3. At that point I swore never to buy anything but 3dfx ever again. Oh well. When I started winning ladder matches, people stopped playing me. It was embarrassing to lose to the guy with the second worst record on the ladder (sorry Mikeduke).

I tought myself how to play Entropy and then I proceeded to teach everyone else how to play Entropy. Reddough and I would start up Steel Vapor games and proceed to own everyone. That's when I started using Roger Wilco and voice chat. One of the guys I tought how to play Entropy (bash) later created the D3TL which I thought was wicked awesome.

I was 16 years old and I knew that I couldn't afford to go to Vegas. My parents certainly wouldn't pay for it, so my only hope was to win one of those free plane tickets from Phase II.

The problem was that later in the summer I had to go away to Pennsylvania for 3 weeks to study Latin. The day before I left, I sent a message to NIKE1 telling him about my situation and that I'd be gone. He said it was cool because they hadn't even created the Phase II schedule yet.

When I got back, he informed me that I had missed my date by two days and that I was eliminated from the tournament.

TWO DAYS!!!

Solidair defaulted as the winner of my bracket because he had no opponent. No offense Solidair, but at that time I was certain that I was better than you. Maybe not though. I was certain of a lot of things that later turned out not to be true. Wink But I still believe I would have won that bracket. Too be fair, my bracket consisted of surprisingly easy people and the people who I knew could beat me were all in other brackets. Needless to say I was really angry and depressed.

Then a week or two later Darak comes into chat announcing that he had won a free ticket to Vegas on PXO. PXO???? WTF? Nobody even knew they had tournaments over there and I was *SURE* I was better than Darak. He admitted later that he kept it hush hush so nobody who was better than him would find out about it and play in it. Sneaky bastard...

Oh well. So that's it. When I worked at Outrage, everyone asked me why I wasn't at the $50k tournament. That's why. I knew I wouldn't have won, but I at least wanted to go and meet all the awesome Descent players. I guess I had to save that experience for the ROXFest in March of 2000. That was... awesome. Meeting Fatal, Genghis, Pally, Vlider, Sandmann, Scratch... everyone. It was just awesome.

After ROXFest (March of 2000) I dropped out of High School to play Descent 3 more or less full time.

So in November of 2000, I don't think I was a newbie. =)

EDIT: Oh yeah. Most of the written strategy content etc on PlanetDescent was written by me between September 1999 and August 2000. By August 2000, I had spent considerable time playing keyboard-only, keyboard-mouse, SpaceOrb, and joystick-keyboard. For each piece of hardware, I was constantly tweaking my config to make it more efficient.
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:39 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

JBOMB wrote:
LOL...nobodys offended...

Oh and some people were definitely offended. I'm not saying it was you. =)
kurupt
Hotshot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i dunno about you, but im very offended.

i dont think i actually retired from D1 and moved to D3 until about 2003 though, but that doesnt matter! >Sad
Avder
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:39 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

This is a D3 only list isnt it?

You have offended the old schoolers Razz
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:58 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It's D3 only.
Palzon
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:30 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

the list was made before suncho switched controllers, which was the only thing holding him back. i played suncho at roxfest and broodfest. i think he had made the switch by broodfest and was already showing much improvement. i know we played a 1 v 1 at that lan. i'm pretty sure it was decided by 1 kill, but honestly...i cannot remember who won.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

K, is early, so my eyes must not be right. But I just can't see how Bah wouldn't make the top 40.
JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:43 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yeah...where Bah sucka...Change your 9 year old list foo!!!

There are more pilots than just Bah...I can think of several that should be on that list but wont continue trying to make suncho revise his list...

Lets just say in the number 5 slot should be a little ole pilot with a name that start with a J and ends with a B......thats right.... "jNeutrinoB"

Very Happy
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Or how about JEndymionB?
Diablo
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

whats up fellas?
looks like i need to step up the descent 3 game eh? I didnt make the list probably for a good reason, id assume only because i dont play d3 much..
i wish some pilots would step back into kali, and get descent2 working again.. with all the new d2x versions out, im sure ur all intimidated or something about getting it to work properly.. if anybody decides to come back, look for me on the D server, i'll hook u up with the files you need, iincase u are unable to find them on planet descent. By the way. this is not CookBook Diablo =) dont ask.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:37 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Blah. I was hopin you were the cookbook Diablo. Wink I need to get in touch with him. You're rott's friend, rethink, right? I don' think I knew who you were at the time I made that list.
Diablo
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:46 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yeah suncho, thats me, rethink.. uhm.. i just now realized there are 2 D BB's so i used this name over here, and Rethink on the other one..
oh its koo, im hardly in d3 anyway.. that id be like 1000 on that list. i suck. :p If u see Diablo, tell him to stop posing, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sfuzzi over ryujin? hahaha!
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:07 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yes. Don't be an idiot.
Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:01 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I just figured ryujin wuld at least deserve in the top ten around 2000.
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:12 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hmm, there was a rethink registered for ChicagoLAN, but I dont know if he ever made it to the LAN. Was that you?

oh and:
Behemoth wrote:

Absolutely! Sfuzzi owns you.
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:05 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I know I'd rather sit next to Sfuzzi than Behemoth at a LAN Smile

Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:35 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sfuzzi and I owned Sandmann and Bigrye at Broodfest about a week after I created that list. That's all I know. =)

Then 3 years later we did it again to Pally and Hostile. =D

ALAMO!!! ALAMO!!! ALAMO!!!
Behemoth
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:37 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Pun wrote:
Hmm, there was a rethink registered for ChicagoLAN, but I dont know if he ever made it to the LAN. Was that you?

oh and:
Behemoth wrote:

Absolutely! Sfuzzi owns you.

1.Sfuzzi doesnt play anymore =)
2.I think i would rather sit next to sfuzzi then me anyday also haha
The_Rock
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

very nice top 40 there Suncho Smile
Hattrick
Hog Whisperer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:13 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

whoa!
Heya Dan, How goes things?
good to see you dropping by once in awhile.

View previous topic :: View next topic