Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > The DBB Gallery > Some recent glass work... (lots of pix) Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I took a class with noted glass artist Milon Townsend this past Sunday & Monday, and in addition to what I was supposed to learn, I also learned how to break glass in many new and exciting ways. I did manage to absorb what was being taught as well, and when I got home I tried again, with some success:

more photos of this piece from varying angles:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-3/15236/Dragon1.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-3/15236/Dragon2.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-3/15236/Dragon4.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-3/15236/Dragon5.JPG
Next I'm going to try to put feet on him... this is where the "breaking glass in new and exciting ways" part may come into effect...

Additionally, I've been doing some stuff on my own, I'm sort of on a primitive kick...The following are intended as pendants:

In the vein of the primitive theme I have been following, I found myself inspired by the bone carvings of Pacific Islanders, Polynesians, Maori etc... Stuff like this. I tried to reproduce it from memory and didn't come real close the first try, but then I made a few sketches and managed to get closer and closer. I'm pretty happy with my basic results, now it's all just refinement.

Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Cool! <3 The Dragon. How long did that take.
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Very nice stuff. It shows some growth from stuff you've shown us before. nsht.

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:59 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The dragon is awesome. Where's the carb?
JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

dude...can we please get a pic of your first attempt at glass with a date..

your stuff has advanced greatly right before our very eyes!
i love it...

also when are you going to get a job at disneyland Smile
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:29 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I put about 12 hours into the dragon so far. Realistically, it should take like 3 hours but this is all new stuff to me.

I have been growing in my skills, and a lot of that is because I've been taking classes, and I switched to working borosilicate (aka pyrex) which is in many ways more forgiving than soft glass (what the beads are made out of). As for my first attempt at glass? It was around 2002, I was making & selling beads for about six months to a year. Then I bought my house and didn't unpack my stuff until about this time last year. The only thing I wish is that I discovered this when I was a kid... I could be in career mode right now.

circa 2002:

circa spring 2006:

Dec 2006:

& you've seen my most recent.

JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

http://www.milontownsend.com/page/page/2717938.htm

incredible...
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:45 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

that piece probably cost 30 grand... no kidding.

Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:36 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

JBOMB wrote:
http://www.milontownsend.com/page/page/2717938.htm

incredible...

How?
AusRED5
Hotshot

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:57 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

JBOMB wrote:
on the real though the second i saw it i immediately looked at the fingers..then the muscles on its left arm and thought.....

ICEMAN!

Apart from the hat, thats what I thought of straight away! Razz

BTW Bunyip, nice work man. Your work looks awesome! Very Happy
JBOMB
DBB Cadet

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

im wondering "how" myself...

oh wait i know....Super Glass Brother 4....leech of this guy bun...absorb his awesomeness somehow Razz
Bunyip
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:02 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Word. I already took a class from him!

People aren't really my style, I like wierd stuff. Undersea critters, aliens, freaky wierd Giger-looking monstercontraptions...I wanna make some cool ass crazy descent related shit... I got ideas in my head, like a shield orb and an energy sparkley thing floating together....

++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Bunyip wrote:
freaky wierd Giger-looking monstercontraptions...

Do this part please. Thanks.

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
Drach
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Nice.. I really like the Dragon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wow, Bunyip, that's really awesome work, even the 2002 one. You have a great feel for colours... I love the most recent thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Wow... I am seriously impressed!