Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > multiplayer net/lan netgear bellsouth setup problem help Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicariusk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote

Been a long time. I was suprised to see the bb still up and running. Help get me going again. Outside can pink my external ip, determined by whatismyip.com And I can host muliplayer on home lan, netgearWPN824v2 and get a couple players going. But external player can't see or join. I've tried combinations of firewall, dmz, port triggering, exclusions, etc. But I haven't found the right one apparently. Using Bellsouth dsl, dynamic. Help if you can. Thanks
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:20 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Configure a fixed IP for your server (eg. 192.168.1.100) Forward port 2092/udp from the router to that machine. Turn off the firewall in your modem if it has one or forward the same port to the router.

Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

you have to set the DSL modem to bridged mode to turn off it's internal DCHP and firewall, and let the router do the work.

Print it out and read before you attempt.... http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7815

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:57 am Reply with quote

Tried the instructions on the link. The expert mode referred to wouldn't open up to any configuration window. Wierd thing is that my buddy's ip can't be pinged, but mine can now. He can host a game that I can see, but I can't host a game that he can see. Paying for a static ip isn't my cup of tea at this point. Anything I'm missing still? Thanks
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

You don't have to pay to use a static ips on your local network. Your public ip address will still be on DHCP (or whatever). What matters is that packets going to a certain port on your public ip address get properly routed to the right computer on the LAN.
vicariusk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. I bridged modem (fyi westell can't be accessed properly with IE, had to get firefox). Set up udp and firewall exceptions. Can start a game and be seen from the net on the ip designated by the router. Another machine served from my router can see the game on local network.

Now the question is how to host from another computer, one that was not the original setup machine to the router. I don't know how to host a game on that secondary machine and what it's ip would be to the public. Thanks for your help.
BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

vicariusk wrote:
(fyi westell can't be accessed properly with IE, had to get firefox).
obviously you have no clue

and you do not read the multiplayer forums