Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > Descent 3 on Linux Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do y'all run?
Gentoo
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Debian
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ubuntu
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
none, I'm a n00b
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
some random distro
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

Ahazuarus
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I don't know about the rest of you guys but despite my best efforts, I cant find any Loki discs for Descent 3, nor can I find illicit binaries.

So I imagine that I am not the only one with such luck. For those of us lacking the luxury of being able to run Descent 3 in a modern Linux environment natively, there is a working alternative. It can work under plain Wine. In fact its been known to install relatively reliably without a hitch. I am finding a few glitches here and there, but eventually figure out a workaround.

My purpose for this thread is to help the rest of you in the same situation to install and run Descent 3 under Wine (not cedega). I'll do what I can to keep you guys all up to date and if anyone else has had significant success either in locating Loki discs or Binaries, or perhaps know how to make it run well under Wine, post here!
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:49 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Hmm... I think I still have the loki version floating around here somewhere...

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thanks Ahazuarus!

I have the Loki Linux disks. We have been interested in posting on Descent3.com the files necessary to run the Loki version of D3 for anyone who has the Windows discs. If I send you images of the Loki discs, do you think you could put together a package with the necessary files and instructions? The key thing is that we want to make sure that people won't be able to play unless they have actually purchased a copy of the Windows version from somewhere.
d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:38 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Ah, good plan, if that's the case then i'd be interested in them, I'll even take a picture of my Win discs to prove it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Of course, the only issue there, and I really get that you're trying, but, that's still piracy. The Loki version is not the same as the Windows version, if you bought the one, that doesn't give you license for the other, and versey vicey.

Stealing is stealing man. Whether you're stealing the binaries for the Loki version, or the entire game...

Keep in mind, though, that I do condone piracy... I'm just pointing out the flaw in your master plan. Because that's what I do. I point out flaws.

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:27 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Not if we're Outrage and Loki gave us all the rights to the Linux version back when they went out of business. Trust me when I say that it would be piracy if you decided to do it, but not if Matt Toschlog decided to do it.
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Suncho wrote:
Not if we're Outrage and Loki gave us all the rights to the Linux version back when they went out of business. Trust me when I say that it would be piracy if you decided to do it, but not if Matt Toschlog decided to do it.

If such an agreement exists, then I would concede my point.

Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Thank you.
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:53 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I think the Loki version could be considered abandoned, no?
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:58 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Rook wrote:
I think the Loki version could be considered abandoned, no?

Loki is out of business, but that doesn't place their product in public domain.

Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:59 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Right.

Our plan is to give the necessary Loki files to people who already own the game, but we need someone to step up and do the work to put the package together.
d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:55 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

What exactly would it include doing..?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:07 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

If memory serves, FunkyStickman has the stuff ready to go. He just hasn't posted it anywhere, to my knowlege. It would've been about 10MB if memory serves.

edit: http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=7686&highlight=
http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=7567&highlight=
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:42 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Yep. That was a year and a half ago. He was gonna do it for us, but I haven't heard from him in forever.
Ahazuarus
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I can only go so far as to provide a package that would make it work, but as far as the legality is concerned I'm afraid that even though Loki and all they ever owned is abandoned, their Eula doesn't give us the rights necessary to install and run even if we do own the Windows version.

Given these circumstances, I really don't give a shnit. I makes no logical sense for any such software company to go under and still prevent us such rights to use the software.

If Loki was bought out, then that would be a different story. But since they up and vanish, it just doesn't matter. I would be glad to pay for a native Linux version. Because I am denied, I will resort to piracy if necessary to play a game in an operating system I own.

I have access to an ftp server that I can have you guys upload to (upload only) Wink

Lets bring Descent 3 back to Linux
Suncho
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:09 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It's not illegal. Private message me the FTP info. =)
d3jake
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:00 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Fire me a PM when we get the files in order, I wanna try D3 on Linux.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote

These files will be made easily available for the time being.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a problem/fix for D3...
Wait that was a little vague wasn't it... ok, let me try again...

On my 64bit Laptop (running openSUSE 10.2) with an ATI x200M graphics card (with the proprietary drivers) D3 looks apauling... and when i say apauling i mean it is totally unusable - the mouse pointer is a greyish square, the background and nemu options are large orange squares... all in all its pretty useless... and this is after i finally got it to install (the loki installer doesn't like 64 bit machines).

is this a known issue and is it one that has a work around?? is it a 64 bit issue or an amd issue... am i rambling? and is anyone (LGP or similar) actually going to pick up the job of maintaining Loki Classics?

thanks for any help (i am registered i just cant activate it untill i get home from work...)

Iain
(soon to be Bakeri666)
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:26 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So, I just want to be clear, you're running the 64-bit version of SUSE?

bakeri666
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yep indeed, i am running the 64 bit version of openSUSE 10.2, and i forced the install with 'linux32 sh setup.sh' as the Loki installer doesnt like the 64 bit version of GLib (something about a broken checker according to LGP) and when i said "amd issue" in my original post i meant ATI... but i'm sure you can forgive me my mixed TLA's)
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:14 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

bakeri666 wrote:
and i forced the install with 'linux32 sh setup.sh'

I believe, sir, that you have already come to the crux of the thing...

It's 32-bit. It doesn't like the buggy as hell ATI drivers... hell, X barely runs on an ATI card, how can you expect to get a ported windows game from a 32 bit platform... and, while I appreciate Loki's work, they didn't do that great of a job porting it, either.

I would honestly recommend just throwing up a small partition and dual booting the 32 bit SUSE. You're luck will be slightly better, though, again, ATI drivers still suck under linux...

Just my 2 bits. I will say I was able to get D3 to run under SUSE 10.1 Eval 64 bit, but I run an nvidia card... However, I had TONS of graphical issues none-the-less. When I was running an x700 pro, I had a lot of trouble in the 32 bit openSUSE with D3 to begin with.

As to maintaining loki titles being maintained.. not going to happen. Ever.

bakeri666
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:16 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

ok well thanks for letting me know... i'll just have to get an nvidia card on my next box... teach me to be a tight wad eh?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:24 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

So I have installed the files on a few systems. I normally get a signal 11. So unless I am able to find a good workaround for this issue theres not much I can do. I am also unable to try it on my desktop because its running an x86_64 kernel... entirely out of the question...

What I will probably end up doing is making the iso's available for ftp download so others can try their luck at it.
tom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote

found the Descent 3 iso's today on ex.ua
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:50 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Holy five year necropost!

View previous topic :: View next topic