Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Tech Forum > Testing Online Connectivity and Speed Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:23 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

One thing is testing your internet connection for speed from places like DSL Reports . Great site to configure your broadband connection for mucho download speed Twisted Evil . But what if you also play games, you do not want your connection just tweeked for fast downloads. Multiplayer would = tHk

I have posted before in this forum the correct settings for your internet connections for the most BALANCED high speed connection. 9/10 times most users have there settings set for non gaming applications which basically equates to high loss/low ping in games.

So here is the rundown

From DSLReports.com

Tweek Test
(CABLE users=normal / DSL users=PPPOE / Router DSL = Router PPPOE )
There is no reason to set your RWIN (via DRTCP)above 64240/65535 unless you have over a 10000/2000 kbps connect and on a non gaming machine.

Follow any the tips listed on the summary page and retest over and over again until all sections are green. the RWIN is set to the MAX stated on the Tweek page. Default for scaling and timestamp is OFF

As seen in my results

Now the Speed Test

My results
6000 mbps speed (my base tier) with no download speed compression
dslreports.com speed test 2008-07-11 :
8122 / 2362 (Kbps)

not bad considering overhead and traffic

Congrats you have a tweeked broadband connection.... But wait, here is the fun part..!
Hopefully you did not troll around the BBR Forums in a futile attempt to get the fastest downloads possible and used any other settings other than what is recommended on the tweek results page.

If you have then your gaming experience has been comprimised.........

(64240/65535 is your friend, unless of course you have 2500/xxx kbps or below connect)

SAVE - EXIT and Reboot

Now go back to the "tweek test" and start over

-------------------------------------------------

gaming test

Firefox Friendly

Linksys WRT54G (v3) with Tomato Firmware

My results

crosspost for teh meatpuppet

[spoiler]quoteing is a waste of space, ++fyrephlie++ dont even bother using my content luv ya[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:18 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

2006-01-18 09:17:10 EST: 7577 / 482
Your download speed : 7577 kbps or 947.1 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 482 kbps or 60.3 KB/sec.

Looks like i need some help!
Thx Bubba im gonna go through this and try and tweak Smile

Not just for gaming but i spend a great deal of time uploading large files to the net..I would imagine a greater upload speed would help me...
TheCope
SPANG!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:03 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

thanks bubs.
Pun
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

what is the significance of the loaded network score?
BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

if your running QoS networking for more than 50 computers and servers. The servers will have priority over any of the clients when network resources are required for servers duties. Kind of like a bandwidth cop, by default XP loads QoS in your network stack and is not required unless your in a large network enviroment. Also most of all the new routers also have QoS which you can bind to Ethernet ports/ mac address/ip ports hardware wise.
OO7GUY
Hotshot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:05 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

TheCope wrote:
thanks bubs.

x2
Iceman
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

OO7GUY wrote:
TheCope wrote:
thanks bubs.

x2

X3

Yeah man u rock ... thx Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:28 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

i don't know what it all means but i guess i'm a 'lan party'
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:29 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

0wnage! ^_^

My gamer score went from 3.6 to 4.3 after changing the receive window value. Not to mention that my download speed (on the tweak page) doubled. LOL I think someone was using the network though.

I just assumed they were asking for my download speed before I got to the results page, so I put it in. I also assumed that I should put routerpppoe since bubba didn't specify. =)

Now to test it in D3...
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:47 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

hahahaha!

I just tested it in D3...before the tweak, I was getting 0wned in German stadium by a bunch of n00bz...and after the tweak....I turned the tables...all the BS was gone LOL
willkill
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:39 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I'm assuming since this is sticky it can't be necroposted Smile

anyway here are my results after a little bit of tweaking. It recommended 18876 for RWIN but when I did the MS-DOS ping test it would'nt let me go above 1464 w/o timing out and 100% packet loss...(I was set to 512 RWIN b4 I changed it)

1. Your Tweakable Settings:
Receive Window (RWIN): 18000
Window Scaling: off
Path MTU Discovery: ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF
RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
Selective Acks: ON
MSS requested: 1424
TTL: unknown
TTL remaining: 51
TOS/TOS subfield: 0
TOS/Flags:
2. Test 1024001 byte download
Actual data bytes sent: 1039665
Actual data packets: 733
Max packet sent (MTU): 1464
Max packet recd (MTU): 1464
Retransmitted data packets: 11
sacks you sent: 90
pushed data pkts: 121
data transmit time: 11.147 secs
our max idletime: 333.6 ms
transfer rate: 88363 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 706 kbits/sec
This is not a speed test!
transfer efficiency: 98%
3. ICMP (ping) check
Target unpingable

Notes and recommendations:
Change MTU to 1500 (FAQ #652, #695)
RWIN is in range

Notes and recommendations:
Good data stream (no/few rexmits)

ALSO...should I change MTU to 1500 anyway??

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
Rook
DBB Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:17 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

depends on your connect. If its dsl ppoe there is a lil more overhead. I have mine at 1490.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:44 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Here are my results before any tweaking. Are these acceptable? Also, I got a 4.1 on that gamers benchmark.

1. Your Tweakable Settings:
Receive Window (RWIN): 65535
Window Scaling: off
Path MTU Discovery: ON
RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF
RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
Selective Acks: ON
MSS requested: 1460
TTL:
(less any hops behind firewall)
TTL remaining: 117
TOS/TOS subfield: 0
TOS/Flags:
2. Test 1024001 byte download
Actual data bytes sent: 1040061
Actual data packets: 714
Max packet sent (MTU): 1500
Max packet recd (MTU): 1500
Retransmitted data packets: 11
sacks you sent: 177
pushed data pkts: 98
data transmit time: 7.192 secs
our max idletime: 432.6 ms
transfer rate: 128892 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 1031 kbits/sec
This is not a speed test!
transfer efficiency: 98%
3. ICMP (ping) check
Minimum ping: 85.61 ms
Maximum ping: 476.40 ms
Ping stability:
87.47 476.40 88.57 204.56 130.07 96.53 102.25 97.03 85.61 113.95
Neo
[deleted]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:54 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

d00d use Dr. TCP and change your RWIN value. ^_~
Zero
Hotshot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:34 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

should the RWIN be the recommended minimum or recommended maximum?

"ShadowFox126: TW, just hold 50%, I'll do the rest."
shadowfox 19-25 twolvesfan 28-27
Sarge
DBB Old Duff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Zero wrote:

Yea, what he said... er, asked rather.

K.I.S.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:56 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

look at all them pushed data pkts: 98, 121 O_O

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:51 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

updated

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Edit by Neo: eat a penis, puny-dick pun
DarkShadow
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:38 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

The gamer test in Bubba's first post has changed location to here.

It seems to work in Firefox with java now also.
Testiculese
Insane!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:40 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I got a 4.9 on that test.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:15 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sarge wrote:
Zero wrote:

Yea, what he said... er, asked rather.

K.I.S.S.

If you don't know then do what I do and change it to a number that's in between Wink
BUBBALOU
Insane!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:19 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

as usual necronoobneo

What's happens if my RWIN is too small
A small RWIN creates more unnecessary traffic and delays. Remember you must stop inbound traffic while the acknowledgement is sent and received by transmitting end. These inefficiencies are not easily measured with standard speed test simply because they use such a small file, however the overall efficiency is greatly reduced.

What's happens if my RWIN is too big
An RWIN larger than 65535 is never recommended for Cable or DSL for three major reasons:
1. Although a larger rwin is possible, anything above 65535 will automatically turn on Window Scaling which is not supported or implemented correctly on all networks and internet devices.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:27 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

It's about time you answered the question. 9_9 And don't cry about necro on a sticky thread. Rolling Eyes
Krom
DBB Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:03 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Maybe it is time to replace this thread come to think of it, most of this information is only relevant to Windows XP which now down to just 13% of the market and will likely be passed by windows 8.1 soon (8.x combined already beats it), windows 7 holds 56% total. ( source ) And connection bandwidth has gone up a fair amount since then, 50+ mbits on cable isn't all that uncommon anymore, DSL is lagging behind but if you are stuck on single mbit DSL none of this will really help anyway (Windows vista/7/8 defaults and to a large extent even XP will max out a <10 mbit line).

(19:11) [D3k]Gooberman: pffft, I didnt get owned baal, you just got 60 lucky fusion shots
View previous topic :: View next topic