Descent BB

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent BB Forum Index > Descent Support > "Fast pitch" option in Descent 3? Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorskave

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm one of 'those' players whose controller of a choice is 'just' a mouse + keyboard.

The D2X-XL (or d2x - not sure) version of Descent 2 introduced fantastic feature - a 'fast pitch' option allowing to perform very dynamic 'pitch moves'. An example would be - with that option 'ticked' one can turn around his/her pyro 180 degrees in a fraction of a second.

I *LOVE* that feature as it actually made (for me at least...) good old Descent 1 & 2 playable with a mouse.

Please note this is something different than mouse sensitivity.

And this is where the trouble begins - Descent 3 has a some sort of 'limit' on how fast/how dynamically you can turn/pitch your Pyro. Even if you have a mouse sensitivity set to a maximum - no matter how fast you turn your mouse - it won't let you steer your Pyro very fast.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this 'pitch speed limit' in Descent 3? It seems to be some sort of a restriction implemented in to prevent the Pyro from moving unnaturally or something, because normally - either in 'plain windows' or in any shooter - you never experience such limit in moving your mouse cursos.

HELP! (please...).

Cheers,
Gorskave
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:41 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Called "mouse look" IIRC. Check the box and there you go. Note that this can be disabled by the server in a multiplayer game and actually is disabled by all servers up right now..

DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:25 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

yes the option is called mouselook... and it's not unnatural... it's actually natural... there's no way you could actually turn a ship as fast has you can with mouselook on...

this isn't quake man, it's descent.

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:15 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Ah no no no... the mouse look option is a disaster - indeed - it makes flying your pyro terrible and unnatural and I hate it. With this option switched on playing descent is more like exploring levels in spectator mode - terrible, just terrible.

I meant something different. This is why this "Fast Pitch" option in d2x is so great - it allows you to perform 'fast moves' but it retains the "natural flight dynamics". I think this is why d2x chose to call it "Fast Pitch" rather than "mouse look".

...how do I explain this... Ok. Here is my another attempt to explain what I mean...
In descent 3 (mouse look OFF), when you turn your pyro with the mouse - you still feel that you're actually flying a ship (rather than 'playing a quake-like game'). However, there is a certain threshold of responsivness of your pyro to the speed with which you move the mouse.

Imagine this.
Trivial scenario 1: You want to *slowly* turn your pyro left - therefore you move your mouse *slowly* to the left (simple). Effect: your pyro *slowly* turns to the left.

Trivial scenario 2: You want to turn your pyro left *a bit faster* - you move your mose to the left *a bit faster* (simple again). Effect: your pyro turns to the left *a bit faster*.

Trivial, annyoing scenario 3: You want to turn you pyro *fast* to the left - you move your mouse *fast* to the left.
- Effect in descent 3: your pyro turns left still with the same speed as in SCENARIO 2. There seems to be certain 'speed limit': regardless of how fast you move your mouse, your pyro won't turn faster than "N degrees per milisecond" (whatever the N is).

- Effect in d2x with 'fast pitch' switched on - your pyro moves to the left very fast... and there doesn't seem to be a speed limit of any sort.

Now, I know that some descent purist would still question the 'naturalness' of such flying - I don't want to go into an argument. Just say I want this option for the single player game!

Cheers,
Gorskave
Grendel
Ninja Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:52 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Sorry, mouse look is all you got. Setting the sensitivity low may help.

Ace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:41 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

if i recall, fast pitch was in d2x-xl to make the ship pitch at the same rate as the ship would turn, because it pitches from about 1/2 to 3/4 as fast or so in regular d2/other d2x's.

in d3, the pitch and heading are at or about the same rate, but i have yet to actually look.

i dont see what you are talking about with fast pitch making the pyro turn fast, ill have to look.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote

MY MISTAKE! - I've just checked that myself Enzo.
Forget the 'fast pitch' option in the D2X - this is not the option that enables fast turns in d2x. - apologies for the confusion.

The option that enables those 'fast turns' in d2x is 'mouselook'. However - it IS *totally* different than the 'mouselook' option in descent 3.

If you enable mouselook in descent 3 - you switch to 'quake' mode, which I, and most players, hate.

If you enable mouselook in d2x - you are still in the 'flight mode' with the difference that you can make fast turns / pitches.

Now - what I would like to have is d2x-like mouselook option in d3 - fast turns, still feeling as if you were flying a pyro, not playing quake.

Cheers,
Gorskave
++fyrephlie++
DBB PostBot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:57 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

gorskave wrote:
Now - what I would like to have is d2x-like mouselook option in d3 - fast turns, still feeling as if you were flying a pyro, not playing quake.

unfortunately, since, as far as i know, the source isn't availiable for d3, and never will be, you won't see that changed.

(19:45:53) JBOMBnsht : go brokebackmountain on that ass and fuck a dude...change it up..ya never know
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:31 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

Gorskave,

in D2X-XL, 'fast pitch' and 'mouse look' do different things. Mouselook generally massively increases mouse sensitivity. Fast pitch doubles the pitch speed (ship nose up/down) speed if mouselook is disabled (because in D1/D2, pitch speed is 1/2 of turn and roll speed for some reason only the developers know).

If you turn mouselook off in D2X-XL, you have limited turn speed on all ship axes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Yes - I figured that half way thourgh this thread - thanks ;-) I must have ticked those two options simultaneously and thought it was 'fast pitch' that did all the magic, not the 'mouselook'.

If only descent 3 source code was now made available as well...

Anyway, thanks for all your inputs everyone.

Cheers,
Gorskave

--
OFF TOPIC:
Btw: Diedel, thanks very much for the d2x-xl version. It has literally ALL things/features that I wished the descent had when I was playing it for the first time. Thanks to the d2x-xl version I'm playing it for the...ukhm... 8th time? The dynamics of the game are now just fantastic... . Thanks! ;-)
--
Diedel
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:04 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

If you are looking for some great new D2 single player missions, try Bahagad Outbreak, Descent 1:Lost Levels (yes, that's a D2 mission), and The Apocalyptic Factor. You can find them in my D2 site's 3rd party level section (all other missions there are top notch, too).
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:11 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

hey i was right for once.
im also working on some levels too, most of them are multiplayer, but some had been wiped out when i did quick restore (luckily, i have one of them uploaded to pd, and all of them that are worth playing/seeing had some testers). however, i am working on a single player project. im afraid one of them is going to be cancelled cuz it went with my memory (unless i do find someone i sent an in-development-sample of the level to, like theftbot, if i can ever get him). i plan on starting a new single player project tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:18 pm View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

I never see pilots who use joysticks complain or have trouble turning that hull at an almost unfair rate compared to mousers.
Descent was made to be played with a j/s and us mousers are kinda like outsiders Razz

If you're gonna bluff, be prepared to strike..fast, hard and often..leaving nothing undone.

RIP Dad Ben Thompson Jan.6,1941-May5,2009
[NuB-T]Enzo03
Ace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:21 am View user's profile Reply with quote Send private message

hehe unlike most other fps games.

i actually feel like the ship turns very slowly on mouse. its like when i play descent 2 on xp and use kyb, no d2x-obviously, there are problems. the ship turns so very slowly.

but then again, i dont like using mouse anyway, thats why i dont in d3.